Do You Download Software From Cnet?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by deathbyprayer • Feb 28, 2015.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love CNET specially when it comes to free softwares but now that site is just riddled with Adware that you're not even sure whether a legit trial has some sort of malicious software hiding underneath the installer. Not to mention that atrocious CNET downloader.

I downloaded a free audio converter the other day and I had to decline 3 adware installations within the actual software installation (you know those installers that fool you into installing third party software by presenting a false terms and agreement) and on top of that even though I declined the installation, it still somehow managed to squeeze in freaking Binkiland in my system that up until now I'm still trying to rid my computer of.

If you're looking for free software downloads, be cautious when it comes to CNET. God knows I won't be using it anymore.

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I've had that happen to me before but luckily the software even though it had 2 or 3 third party software forcing itself to install, it didn't had any sneaky adware with it. I usually stay away from free software for exactly this reason. Removing adware without any software help is a nightmare.

3. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. CNET now has become a nest for adware and malware unless you count downloads that are redirected to CNET. I used to love CNET especially when I'm rummaging for demos for old Windows games which I think they still have up to this day but it's just not the same as it used to be. Even downloads redirected from legitimate sites, CNET tries to squeeze in one of their own.

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I only download off CNET indirectly, that is, if the official site of the software I want to download redirects me to CNET then I don't have any problems. You can stay away from sketchy downloads by making sure that you trust the publisher that the software has a signature of.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd been downloading a lot of software from CNET until they started forcing users to use the installer to download whatever software you want. Luckily for me I never did download any adware before I stopped getting my downloads from the site. I'd recommend Softpedia as your go-to place to download software.

Softpedia:
    " library of over 1000000 free and free-to-try applications for Windows, Mac, Linux and Smartphones . . .

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah Softpedia is way better than CNET now. In terms of that downloader thing, sometimes even if you dodged the adware bullet they still sneak something nasty. Even the Flash player installer they offered has McCaffee jammed in there.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that CNET suddenly got greedy. All those people going over to there to download software, they could make some quick cash off them. Shady advertisers pay them and you get all that adware, nagware, spyware — all sorts of malware. But it looks like they made a mistake that will cost them dearly. When people stop downloading software from the site . . .

8. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Never use the CNET downloader. It's riddled with adware. There used to be a direct download link on the side where you could bypass the CNET downloader but I believe that it's gone now. Just download your software directly from the publisher instead.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time I use CNET is when the developer uses it as an official mirror. Otherwise, no, I don't go there just for the purpose of browsing the web.

10. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I like to use the site but last time I got something from there and I think that it was the same thing that had happen to me. I still think that the site is good though and that is the place that I always go when I need to get some new software.

11. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I have been using Apple for the last 4 years- recently I purchased a PC and was in need of an antivirus software-- I logged onto CNET and must admit that I used to be scared to download but now after reading your entries I'm terrified. Where do PC users find somewhat reliable software?

12. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I downloaded some software before in CNET. It is quite ok and I do not have a problem, however lately for unknown reason downloading from CNET is slow. I am sure it is not my internet connection because it is perfectly well. Right now I'm now directly downloading from the software's own website.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to use it more as well but now that companies have gotten way more efficient at giving customers their content directly I prefer just downloading at the official site of the product now. As a last resort, if I couldn't find it anywhere else, I might go for the Cnet downloads but even then I'd still probably be a bit hesitant just because I haven't used it in a very long time by now.

14. jabayn

jabaynNew Member

Threads:
    CNET used to be really good and there was always something you could find. these days it is pretty hard to use the site. It is always a hassle trying to get the actual piece of software that you are trying to download. I always think twice before i click on a link. A few times i have ended up getting the wrong thing. I have tried my best to gravitate away from the site and only use it when absolutely necessary.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cnet's Download.com is all right, assuming you're smart enough to decline extra add-on programs, which is how developers get more money for their free programs. It's not necessarily all malware, but most of these things will slow your machine down and prove hard to remove, too.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have downloaded from Cnet several times, but I always decline the offer to install something bundled with the software, so my pc remains "intact". Most of the time, I just download directly from the manufacturer of the software. Sometimes, I also download from filehippo.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried, but ended up uninstalling so many add ons and then the wrong versions too. It does make me wary, so now I spend more time looking rather than the version that comes up first on the search engine. I also find their rating system to be flawed, so never believe the stars given as they are a lie.

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I used to download a lot of software but after some time I stopped doing that as it caused me a lot of trouble. Most of the software would contain virus. Also the software never were working fine. Then I made sure that I download the product only from the official website.

19. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't download anything as of late, but when I need something, I checked CNET, because it was trustworthy before. Good to know that now they have ad wares, I hate those things, anything extra that I don't need is a real bother to me.

20. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I recently had to download something for a Java class I am taking right now. The program worked fine, it did what it was supposed to. However, I noticed what you did when I was browsing the site, lots of adware. Just a general decrease in quality, I hope they fix whatever is wrong.