Do You Drink Enough Water?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by TheViper • Dec 18, 2014.

1. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Water is a very important compound in our life. Our body is made up of 70% water and regulates the different body processes inside our body. It is important in rehydration, bowel movement, and body temperature control. It is also a very refreshing drink every after physical activity to quench our thirst. The recommended amount of water per day is 8-10 glasses and we must be able to achieve this to be well. Sometimes it is difficult to achieve this for some, but we can consider other sources of fluids in that daily requirement like soups, fruit juices, and the like. Personally, I get the recommended amount daily, taking into account also the other sources of fluids along with pure water.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, but I don't want people to misinterpret that "8-to-10 glasses" as meaning 'you sit there drinking glass-after-glass until you've downed 8-to-10, and then you're golden the rest of the day.' That would be like having an area get ALL its rainfall for the year in the space of a few hours (can you imagine the flooding??)

I think the thing to remember is 'what the water does'---it mostly washes wastes out of your body. 'Drinking water' replenishes the dirty, used water with clean & unused, meaning you need to replace it in as constant a fashion as you are losing it!

3. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I drink 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday. It is quite essential for humans to drink that amount of water to replenish lost water from sweating and persperation and it also promotes digestion. When doing exercises I usually drink gatorade or powerade to help hydrate my body.

4. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment I don't drink enough water but I'm working on drinking a lot more than I am now. I'm planning on drinking water at lunch and dinner plus at other times. Water is the best drink and something I'll add a lemon to it if I'm at a restaurant.

5. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    Before I do my morning ritual, I make sure to fill a gallon bottle full of water. It has just become habit for me now. Water is essential for athletes, and even non-athletes. So drink your water!

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Drinking a lot of water is one of the few fitness goals I've been able to keep up for over a year now. I feel like I do an excellent job at staying hydrated all day and it helps me when I get around to working out. I'd recommend to anyone of buying a reusable water bottle and just keeping that with you all day. I bring mine to school and work and usually end up drinking 4 24 OZ bottles of water a day just casually sipping.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Lately I have been consciously trying to drink more water. I was drinking too many energy drinks and coffee for a long time, but in the last 80 ounces of water a day. I have noticed a huge increase in the number of trips to the bathroom lol, but so far that is the only side effect.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol!! Yeah, that'll happen. I am not a fan of going to the bathroom in the first place. I find it boring lol. But drinking a lot of water you have no choice. I do like looking at my urine and seeing how light or dark it is though, in proportion to how much water I have consumed. I like to see how hydrated I am.

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I drink water most of the time, but for my morning, I must have my coffee. During the winter, since I am always freezing, I drink herbal tea. Summer, we usually drink lot of water, lemonade, and mint water.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I always drink 8 glasses of water a day. I know it might get tiring some time but it's for the good of your body. You could consider adding a slice of lemon, or making some light tea without sugar as well.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to watch it with the acid, because of my teeth, so I stay away from the citrus. The actual drinking of the water is not what is tiring for me. The tiring thing, for me, is having to go to the bathroom literally every five minutes to relieve my bladder of all of the water that I have been drinking lol. If I had a job, I'd probably get fired for all of the toilet breaks.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I drink a ton of water a day but I've never looked into how much I should be drinking per day. I should really look into the exact amount given the amount I exercise & my size.

13. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I drink enough water. I live in an arid region, and if you don't drink enough water, you get I'll. I start and end my day with water, and drink it between meals. There is nothing worse than severe dehydration. It saps all your energy. Even if you don't live in a hot region, if you don't drink enough water, dehydration will set in and cause I'll health. It is hard on the liver.

14. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I am required to drink two litres of water per day due to a heart condition, although that may change in the future and i could be placed on strict fluid restriction. It's a vicious circle as consuming too much fluid can place a strain on my heart but drinking too little could damage my kidneys as they are already compromised through inadequate blood supply. The doctors have to decide which organ takes priority i suppose.

Drinking two litres per day would be very beneficial to the average healthy person and help to maintain the internal organs optimum performance. Drinking water to excess can place a strain on the heart just like consuming a heavy meal will do.

15. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    This almost inspires a whole `nother thread---the question being, "Are there any changes you could make to your diet to break the cycle of too-much/too-little water," like maybe some more-water-friendly food?

16. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I am really trying to drink more water, but the truth is it's a little inconvenient for me. I have coffee in the morning before work and have an energy drink a couple of hours into my day. I might have a cup of water before I leave and one when I get home. I used to drink tons of water every day and really have no idea why I stopped.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    What I used to do---I'd buy one of those big gallon jugs of drinking-water, keep it in my bathroom, and have a cup's worth everytime I used the toilet. Kind of 'cyclical' (using the restroom in order to have to use the restroom later), but it kept me well-hydrated ... maybe a little too well-hydrated---maybe that's how I aided-and-abetted my apartment-complex's bug-problem :(

18. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I always aim to drink as much water through the day as possible now, it has become somewhat of a ritual for me.

The problem used to be I do not like to drink tap water. I think tap water has an odd taste to it in some places which used to put me off drinking it, but I invested in a water filter that makes the water taste much cleaner to me. Perhaps its just me but this is the only way I will drink water at home. When I go out, I always buy bottled water, especially for work.

I think being dehydrated is an awful feeling and does no favors for your body, so drinking a good amount of fluid can make you feel good and is healthy!

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do. I have to, since I suffer from really bad dry eyes, so if I didn't drink enough water, it would be even worse. I usually drink tea more than normal water, though.

20. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't think that I drink enough water. I only really realize that when I get achy and tired, regardless of how much exercise I've undertaken. I try to make sure I have a lot of water in the morning but I tend to forget other times. Time for a bit more discipline I think...