Do you drink milk before you sleep?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by tosaytheleast • Sep 30, 2012.

1. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am not so sure about this but a friend mod mine said that if she can't sleep, she drinks a glass of milk and that could put her in her deepest sleep for the rest of the night. Does this actually work? I have not tried this yet but maybe when I can't sleep I'll try this. Any experience same as this?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Milk is supposed to put you to sleep because of the tryptophan, the same thing in turkey that puts you to sleep.

I haven't tried it because I'm a caffeine addict and try to stay up as let as possible to accomplish whatever I can.
    In fact "Drink coffee, get stuff done." is my life motto. But there is actual science behind milk and turkey putting people to sleep, so you should try them if you are having trouble sleeping.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I just drink water though. But I can really sleep well especially if I'm full :D this is why I usually make my instant noodles and a hot dog when I'm about to sleep. After hours in front of a computer, I will then go to the kitchen make my food and back to the computer and then sleep.

If milk can make me feel full, i certainly can sleep too :D

4. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Goodness me! Isn't instant noodles with a hot dog just before sleep a little too unhealthy! But I understand how you feel anyway... I've always had a soft spot for food though I don't have this instant noodle ritual before bed! I myself do not like the taste of milk so I definitely would not drink it just before sleep though I have friends who love a glass of milk before and after sleep. I guess it is just personal preference. I prefer plain water to milk anytime! The smell of milk makes me nauseous actually. If I really cannot sleep at night, I'll usually have a glass of hot chocolate and it really would make me get to sleep easier!

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In this regard, there is a myth that must be discarded. Many people have the habit of drinking a glass of milk before going to sleep, but they don't know that it is contraindicated. There are certain foods that in the day are very healthy and necessary, but by evening do more harm than we can improve our health. These are foods that inflame our stomach and we produced a series of complaints arising from the fermentation process that take place in the stomach. It´s important to avoid dairy foods, especially when you are lactose intolerant, as our digestive system will be negatively affected, and we will notice a general malaise. If you don't generate discomfort and you have good results, you can continue taking all the milk you want. :D

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I don't drink milk at bedtime, but as ACSAPA says, a glass of warm milk has properties that can give you a good night's sleep. I've seen it work on my daughter, when she is restless during her exam time and finds it hard to sleep.

7. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    I used to have milk before I went to bed but I didn't find it made me sleep better. I find hot chocolate drinks are better if I want to get off to sleep easier.

I also find that if I eat something light before bed then it will keep my blood sugar steady and that helps me to get a good night's sleep as well, so I'll have something like oatcakes or crackers.

Foods that contain tryptophan such as turkey are supposed to help you feel more relaxed and make you feel sleepy but I haven't noticed any difference when I've tried it.

8. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I have heard of this but never tried it. I don't sleep well very often so I'm hoping this works. I will test it tonight and post back on this thread tomorrow.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It does put a lot of people to sleep. It's why you see it in movies a lot.... Many of them drink warm milk instead of cold, too, because it's even more relaxing. I find it gross, though, and I have no interest in drinking cold milk right before bed either.

10. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Babies tend to be fed warm milk at night to help them fall asleep. If it works for babies, it probably works for some adults, too.

Personally it just gives me a stomach ache.

11. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    No I've tried that trick once and it did nothing for me, plus it didn't make me feel good after. I usually have a glass of water before bed or if I do have something warm it's chamomille tea or hot cocoa (with hot water). I usually can get to sleep easy so I don't eat/drink before bedtime usually.

12. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have had a glass of milk before bed and it really made me have an upset stomach really late at night.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's never worked for me, and it causes me to wake up with a sour mouth and a sour stomach. A stiff cocktail works wonders though :-D

14. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that warm milk helps you to go to sleep. However I don't drink warm milk. I would much rather get into bed with a cup of warm tea and a book. I rarely have trouble getting to bed.

15. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    i think this does help slightly, but i think you should try this medicine called melatonin it has milk in it and other nutrients that help you relax. i used it for a little bit, and it did help me get to sleep faster, and not make me have to go the bathroom because of the milk.

16. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    No, I've always hated milk. The thought of warm milk makes me want to puke, lol. I only like dairy free milks, like coconut, almond, etc milks.

Even if I liked milk I wouldn't drink milk before I went to bed because I'd need to brush my teeth after drinking it and I absolutely hate having to get up and brush my teeth when I'm really sleepy.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried before to drink milk before going to bed, but I didn't feel sleepy at all, so I can't vouch for it's efficacy. Others say that it has worked for them, so I guess it just depends on the person if taking milk to help them sleep will be effective to their bodies or not.

18. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    I usually read before bed, because I think it helps me sleep.
    I like the idea of submersing myself in a book, because I usually procastinate and over think and worry, this helps me forget about things and sleep.

Also, I think the idea of believing that something will hep you sleep a actually does :)

19. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Warm or hot milk, releases Trypthopanes, might be spelled incorrectly, which tend to make you sleepy. Turkey will do the same thing.

20. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    My mom used to give warm milk at night when I had trouble sleeping. I honestly don't remember if it worked or not. Now when I can't sleep I will sometimes drink chamomile tea, take melatonin or take a bath or shower in lavender body wash or bubble bath. Taking a walk a few hours before bedtime works wonders too.