Do you drink sport drinks after workouts?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by vennybunny • Oct 10, 2014.

1. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to, but now I don't like the taste of them anymore. I think my tastebuds grew out of them because whenever I have one now they taste...weird.

I usually just drink water during and after my workout. I know it's not the same in terms of getting electrolytes but I'd honestly have something like that than something like sports drinks.

Oh fun fact. The auto (car) teacher at my high school told me once that one of the ingredients on the lightning blue gatorade is also found in anti-freeze for your car.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Rarely, but if I do have it nearby and I need to drink something to quench my thirst, yes, I will drink a sports drink after I work out or play sports. I rather drink water overall in the end, because its less of a strain for my body to digest and more refreshing.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I feel the same way that you do...it makes me feel a bit better and is easier on the stomach than just tons of water, in my opinion. They are overpriced but sometimes you can get good deals on them and that's mostly what I look out for.

4. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Sport drinks aren't really a good thing to drink after workouts. Recovery drinks are better and so is a small meal.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. It is weird to me that the first thing that people would think to drink is sports drinks. They are not all that healthy. I know that some of them taste good, like Lucozade. But they really aren't all that healthy, especially not over some of the other natural stuff out there that will boost and help with recovery. I stick to foods that are high in energy, and water most of the time. Sometimes I may put some honey in the warm water.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it really helps to drink sports drink after workout for the muscle repair, but they are best drunk during your workout or your exercise especially if what you are doing is related to endurance. Drink it during the exercise so you will never run out of carbohydrates and sugar. Injuries usually come when you suddenly run out of fuel that sugar and carbohydrates give during your workout. If you want to meet your optimum level of capacity doing your workout, supply yourself consistently with sugar and carbohydrates. These two are the main components of energy sports drinks.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Sports drinks contain plenty of sugar, so there goes plenty of the calories that you were trying to burn. I would avoid sports drinks and go for healthier alternatives, such as a nice cold glass of unsweetened tea or skim milk. Or even plain old water. I think the best trick to do is to place them in the fridge, so that you have an ice-cold drink ready to cool down and refresh yourself with after a tough exercise routine.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Never have. Never seen the point in spending money on them when I just workout from home anyway. I always just make sure to drink lots of water during and after working out. Rather not have a bunch of sugar running through my system after working out.

9. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I don;t like to drink Sport drinks after a workout session. I prefer to stick to my Mass Gainer and a strict diet.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't drink sports drinks. They are full of artificial chemicals. The weird colors of sports drinks freak me out. Nothing natural could look like those. I drink water or coconut water. Coconut water is full of electrolytes and it replenishes you and it is refreshing.

11. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    If by sport drinks you mean proteins or weight gainers, YES! Our body needs macro-nutrients in order to recover from a heavy workout, especially proteins and carbohydrates. Also we need to stay very hydrated as we lost a considerable amount of water during the workout, and the water left in our cells will go to our muscles helping them to recover.

12. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Please, tell me that you stopped buying those things. They are useless. your body needs water more than anything, not water with some sweetners or even sugar. Don't get fooled by what they are saying in commercials.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't like drinking sports drink while I'm at the gym because they have a lot of sugar in addition to the ions, which are the only things that your really need. Besides sports drink are quite expensive, so it's practical for me to drink them especially that I workout everyday intensely. I only drink water and eat right.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only sports drink that I drink is Lucozade?? I'm not really sure if it is a sports drink or not. I just know that it is supposed to provide the person who is consuming it with energy, hence why their ad campaigns are often centered around sports activities and such. I do not feel any different after drinking it though. I mostly just drink it for the flavor. Nothing else.

15. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I only drink fresh water, coconut water, or juice from my juicer. Those are the best drinks to put into your body, all those energy drinks are packed with sugar which can cause major health problems.

16. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I also drink sports drink after workouts but it is not really necessary to drink these. Water is already enough to quench our thirst and replace the fluids that we lost during a workout. Personally, I just drink sports drinks because I like their taste and cool colors. They also have ingredients like electrolytes that replace the electrolytes lost after a workout. It really depends on what makes you refreshed more, be it sports drinks or water. If you are cutting costs, then water is fine and still gets the job done. I usually alternate them; like today I’m going to bring water to the gym then tomorrow I’m going to bring sports drink.

17. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't because it's not the best drink for me to have after I do my workouts. When I'm exercising I always drink water and nothing else. I stay away from any drinks that have sugar in them especially when I'm staying active all the time running or dancing.

18. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    I would say it depends on the type of exercising you're doing. Are you really sweating a lot, like drenched after working out. If not, you probably don't need them. My son used to play lacrosse in high school and his practices would be be 2-3 hours long, and he would be running almost the entire time. When he got done, he would be so drenched you could almost wring the sweat out his clothes. I made him drink Powerade after practices to replenish all the electrolytes he'd lost.

But for me, I've found that milk is actually a much better option. I do about 45-60 minutes of medium intensity step aerobics, so I'm a little sweaty but not bad. I drink plenty of water while I'm working out, so I'm not really dehydrated. Milk has protein so it's a good after workout "snack". I like to put some vanilla and a packet of sweetener in it and serve it over ice. It's really refreshing.

19. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I drink Gatorade or Powerade after workout. It help replenish and hydrate my body after long and strenuous workout. But If the two is not available I settle for large amount of water.

20. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    After a long workout, a sports drink is necessary for me. Usually, I stop by the nearest convenience store and pick up a Gatorade or a Powerade. If I am tired though, I go home and whip up a nice protein shake.