Do you drink sport drinks after workouts?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by vennybunny • Oct 10, 2014.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I try to stay away from sports drinks because they are so high in sugar. I usually drink water with lemon or on occasion will have coconut water (even though it also has a lot of sugar).

2. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    I have been drinking half a litre of low fat fresh milk after working out. Full of protein and does the job for little cost

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I do not purchase sports drinks to drink after work outs. They usually contain unnecessary extra sugar and sodium, as well as calories. I primarily work our to burn calories, so replacing the calories burned with a sports drink does not make sense for my case. Water is free, calorie-free, and refreshing. If you are looking for a little flavor, you can always add a lemon wedge or another fruit which will provide vitamins.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    No sport drinks for me but I do drink lots of water after I workout. Since I do my workout at home, I have access to lots of water. I'm also kind of saving money for my travel plans later this year so drinking water instead of buying sports drinks allows me to save more for my plans. Finally, sports drinks contain the extra sugar like others have mentioned, and drinking them is only advisable if you workout most of the time like when you're a professional athlete. Since I just workout to burn the extra calories, drinking sports drinks is a big NO for me.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes that is absolutely right - sports drinks aren't necessary - nobody actually needs them - not even professional athletes - on top of which - they're extremely unhealthy

In fact if you were to broach this question to a qualified trainer or professional fitness coach - they would say - stay well away from them - particularly as - not only do they not contain a single healthy ingredient and are nothing more - than a product whose marketing hype has been cleverly designed to lift hard earned cash out of consumers pockets - but more importantly - there is a very distinct lack of scientific evidence to substantiate any of the wild claims related to any of the sports/energy drinks on the market.

Which is why - as water has for centuries been shown to the best way of keeping hydrated and for re-hydrating after exercise - it is the generally recommended means of re-hydrating during and after exercise - that said - a mixture of pure fresh fruit juice and water is a perfectly acceptable means too.

6. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I will only drink sport drinks during a tennis match. I will need refill my energy with more of that sugar to keep going in matches that can last longer than 2 hours especially in intense heat. I will not drink sport drinks after workouts since I feel like water helps you more and you need to refill your body with water you have lost.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't drink sports drinks because I don't like their taste in the first place. I just drink plain water after my workout sessions. However, I do drink energy drinks.

8. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I usually do my workout at home. But some times I use to go gym then I take sports drink. I use to take it in some breaks like after 15 or 20 minutes.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do drink sports drinks after a workout, however, I mostly do it for the cool, refreshing relief that it brings. I can't attest to any values that may come with the product as is seen in the advertisement because I have no way of confirming that what they may say in the is real or not.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually drink soda when I am fatigued especially after a strenuous physical activity. The carbonated drink seems to rejuvenate my body. I never drink those sports or energy drinks simply because I don't like the taste. Even the popularity of Gatorade doesn't appeal to me not to mention that it is more expensive than soda. But if there is iced water, I prefer that.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is so strange for me to read, in this thread, that energy or sports drinks actually have an effect on people after they have had a workout. I don't feel anything either prior to a workout, or after a workout. I don't know if it is just my body chemistry or what. The only energy drink that seems to have any effect on me in Monster, and we all know how bad that is for you.

12. JaeRustia

JaeRustiaNew Member

Threads:
    you dont need to drink sports drink unless you are an athlete who have vigorous daily training's or, if you're exercising longer than 60 minutes — or less than that but very intensely.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that is one thing that I can agree with when it comes to this topic - is the taste of sports drinks. The only pleasure that I get from sports drinks is the taste of certain brands. I could drink some of them all day, to the detriment of my health I am sure. Lucozade Orange has a beautiful taste. I like the taste of Monster too, but I am aware of the fact that Monster really is not good for your body, on any level.

14. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    I used to indulge myself in a can or two of energy drinks after a heavy workout until I began getting nauseated for no reason. I switched from brand to brand but the nausea stuck. I was later diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have never gone back to energy drinks again.

15. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    sports drinks are particularly cariogenic (cavity-causing), so I would stray away from them if I were you.

I have never heard of anyone suffering from hyponatremia (low sodium, the most common electrolyte deficiency) in a person that was healthy prior to a workout of less than 90 or so minutes in duration (so it applies pretty much everyone here reading this) and under 100 degree weather.

I don't drink any extra electrolytes; instead I get most all of them from food. I live in southeast Texas, and I run outside even when it's stupid hot. I drink tea or water afterwards, and run about 8 min miles for 9-12 miles a day, seven days a week. If anyone would have "electrolyte problems" it would be me... and yet, nothing to note. The body is efficient and conservative with everything else, I don't know why electrolytes would be an exception, especially with how well-tuned humans are for distance running.

OH WAIT, I CAN THINK OF A REASON TO TELL PEOPLE TO DRINK ELECTROLYTE DRINKS AFTER EXERCISE... TO SELL ELECTROLYTE DRINKS.

Need electrolytes? Buy some pedialyte. After losing 20 or so pounds of water weight to make weight as a wrestler, pedialyte was recommended for me to gain back electrolytes. I still didn't take the recommendation--despite its seeming prudence--and I didn't die.

sports drinks soften enamel, according to

:

"Sports drink and juices are merely effective to enamel (Wongkhantee et al.,

). Even the sports drinks have a stronger softening effect than fruit juices (Lussi et al.,

; Lippert et al.,

; Jensdottir et al.,

)"

is particularly damning:

"High-energy sports drink showed highest surface roughness value and microleakage score among all test media and thus greater erosive potential to enamel."

"Test medias used in this study included carbonated beverage, noncarbonated beverage, high-energy sports drink[,] medicated cough syrup, distilled water as the control."

that's right, it was worse than SODA. yikes.

If you MUST DRINK IT, THEN USE A STRAW PLEASE.

thanks for reading! :)

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My kids play a lot of sports and I am forever putting Gatorade in their water bottles. Neither of my boys will drink water so if I want them to hydrate during a game of hockey they have to have Gatorade. I find it's better than not drinking anything while playing sports. I buy the powdered Gatorade so I can control how much I put in their bottles. I also buy chocolate milk which I've heard is great for post workout recovery. Hydration is so important when playing sports and I find my kids sweat a lot so I do everything I can to help them replace the fluids they've lost.

17. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I drink water instead of sport drinks when working out moderately. If you're performing some hardcore workout in order to prepare for a high intensity competition, then sport drinks worth it. Water doesn't contain sodium, which helps the body hold onto water and helps fluid get to the right places in the body, like muscles and blood. For harder or longer duration workouts, it's important to get enough fluid during the session, and flavor helps you keep on drinking.

Chugging water while working hard in workout may cause you to stop and pee often.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very lucky in that I've never been a huge fan of sports drinks, and I'm not now. I don't believe they're particularly good for us, anyway. Plus like we all know, they are very expensive. I find during and after a rigorous workout, the only thing that will do the trick is good old fashioned water. I used to like it ice cold, but them some personal trainer discouraged me from it as he said it's not good for your health. Sometimes I'll some cordial.

19. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    From a health professional point of view, what I have found is that all these sports drinks are just marketing lies, if you drunk some good old plain water, your body will just be as replenished, so I see no point in buying unnecessary, expensive sports drinks especially when those funds could go to something that you really need.I personally don't use or like them. A lab experiment was done recently in the UK that showed that the public just buys into these lies and most of the time there's really nothing special in those drinks, so, spend your money wisely.

20. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    It's true, you don't need sports drinks. They are just drinks that are filled with an excessive amount of protein. Your body can naturally build replenish what it knows it needs in a decent amount of time. I know for a fact that these companies are just out to monetize what they know people will pay for and that's gym results.

You don't need these drinks, they are just a waste of money and you can save money by not getting them.