Do you drink too much coffee?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by maryannballeras • Nov 24, 2014.

1. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I don't know if I can be categorized as a coffee addict, but I drink about 2-4 cups of it per day. I need it to keep me energized because I have to juggle work and school together and I just can't afford to feel lumpy and lethargic. However, I notice that sometimes, my hands are starting to tremble. I feel like this was because of the coffee, but I'm not sure yet. Is there anyone else here who have experienced the same thing? Do you drink too much coffee as well?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Jitters, when your fingers are a little shaky, are a very common side effect of too much caffeine in your body at one time. You might want to space out your coffee drinking more and cut down by one cup to prevent over stimulation. You are probably not doing any major damage to your body, but it's best not to drink more than your body can comfortably handle. The good thing is that caffeine is not a hard drug to cut down on or even eliminate if you wanted to quit entirely. Just cutting down one cup a day will probably not cause any withdrawal symptoms. If you do get a headache, just take an advil. After a few days your body will be adjusted to the new normal quantities and you won't get any more headaches.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people drink coffee for the effects I believe but I do so because I like the taste. I'm not a coffee addict [yet]. Normally I drink no more than two cups a day. But because I know one can get addicted if they drink too much coffee I limit myself to only two cups a day. Sometimes I can do with one though.

4. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Coffee has anti-oxidant. It is good if you drink coffee in moderation. I drink 2 cups per day. One in the morning and another in the afternoon. Less is ok, and also.. I do not buy from Starbucks or any coffee shops.. I prefer to make my own simple coffee.... and cheap also.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I drink a lot of coffee but I dont think it's too much. Maybe 2-3 in the AM and another in the afternoon if I get tired. It never makes me feel jittery or bad unless I drink a lot more than that.

6. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never experienced having hand trembling from drinking coffee, but I know that some people have this happen when they have too much caffeine. I don't think that I drink too much coffee. I have about a cup every couple of days and it has to be only one particular type of coffee. A good friend of mine ships me coffee from Ethiopia. I don't drink coffee to energize me because caffeine does nothing for me. But, I do drink it because I like the taste of it.

7. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I usually drink just once cup of coffee a day. Sometimes, I drink two when I need to get a lot of things done. I used to drink 2-3 cups but I had troubles sleeping so I tried to limit it to just 2 max. When I don't have work, I try not to drink coffee at all. You know the feeling when coffee doesn't give the energy boost it once offered? That's what you want to avoid. You build tolerance the more your drink coffee.

8. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I also like to have a cup of coffee in my day. I am not an edict of it but i love to have it every day because i like its taste. There is not a single day when i haven't take a cup of coffee, Its healthy for increasing immunity as well and complete my day. :)DancingLady ! I totally agreed with you on
    Every one is having different capacity for bearing some changes.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I drink coffee depending on what kind of day I am having and you know when you are having too much when you need to go to the bathroom more frequently. I think many people substitute coffee for food, which isn't wise so end up drinking more than they should. Because it's a social habit, you can also drink more than you expected, but it's easier to say yes to a coffee and then drink half of it in my experience.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only limit myself to one coffee a day unless it's herbal coffee then I wouldn't mind drinking it on weekdays. I have already stopped drinking commercial coffees. They always give me migraines, hindering me from functioning properly. Gourmet coffees, those blended straight from a coffee maker and made from the finest coffee beans, are more preferable. However, I don't drink one unless the occasion calls for it (e.g. completing a thesis or presentation, working on a backlog or planning for a project).

Maybe you can switch to herbal coffees and slowly but surely adjust your coffee-drinking habits. Your nerves may suffer if you keep at it and you can't help but depend on coffee to provide you with energy for much of your life.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you feel the need to use coffee to perk you up, you don't need the coffee, you need to change your other habits. That said, I do drink too much coffee lol. Not always. I just love the taste and for some reason, feel the need for a hot beverage in the morning. Every morning lol. And just because someone likes the taste, does not mean they aren't an addict.. you can't just choose if you are or you're not. I drink it for the warmth and the taste, but if I stopped suddenly for more than a day, I'd feel pretty awful. It's short lived though, unlike other vices I've stomped out. Also, getting the jitters is a warning sign you should seriously listen to and avoid from now on.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I barely drink any coffee at all to be honest. The only time I drink coffee is when I go to a place like Starbucks and order an iced cappuccino. It's not because of any health reason or anything like that, I just don't find the taste of regular coffee particularly appealing, and it only tastes good to me when I add milk.

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    You drink just the right amount (

reports that it's healthy up to 5-a-day). It fights some forms of cancer. But you shouldn't "need" it (not for the 'stay awake'-effects anyway) more than 'a good amount of good sleep.'

Me--if I drink coffee after 5-or-6 p.m.--I'll experience 'night terrors' when I'm going to bed (kinda like nightmares while you're half-asleep---claustrophobic-attacks, interrupted breathing, etc.)

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I drink only around 1 or 2 cups of coffee per day. But yeah, I remember that I felt my heart palpitating when I was just starting to drink coffee and I drank around 2 large glasses. I think that once your body tends to react adversely to coffee then that is a sign to lessen your coffee intake. Although nowadays, I'm quite immune now to the effects of coffee.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    2-4 cups is too much for me, I stick with one cup in the morning and I've not felt any bad side effects so far. So long as you keep your intake at a moderate level you should be fine.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to drink a bit too much because I loved the way it tasted and I've been drinking from a very early age but I eventually grew out of it. Nowadays I don't even miss the taste and I feel like I've already lost my taste for coffee. It's also great for me because I don't have trouble sleeping at night anymore ever since I stopped drinking, but when I did I usually drank about 1 or 2 cups a day and sometimes about 4 then it would just keep me up until morning.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drink it for the taste, I drink it like medicine. I mean; I CAN taste it--I imagine--but you won't catch me tossing a cup to the ground or -the sink because it's not 'at least 70% as good as the best I ever had!' :p

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on what you are used to. I usually only drink one cup of coffee every other day, whereas my partner can drink up to six a day. But I noticed that if he doesn't have at least 4 cups per day, he gets pale and cranky. Occasionally, when we are travelling long distances where coffee isn't readily available, I take chocolate coated coffee beans along the trip, and they satisfy his need for caffeine. Yet, an interesting factor in all this is, if he mentally prepares himself for not drinking any coffee at all, he is fine. He can go for many days without it, which makes me think, is he really an addict?

19. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Hand shaking can definitely be a sign of consuming too much caffeine or coffee. Personally, I drink the same amount and while I also notice my hands shaking sometimes, it's not enough to make me stop drinking coffee! Although, if I'm being completely honest, I think you can find quality decaf coffee that tastes the same. I know you said you require the energy boost, though. Do you like tea? Tea is generally a little lower in caffeine so it may be worth switching to that after your first cup or two of coffee!

20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I can honestly say without a doubt that yes, I drink way to much coffee. My husband and I both work from home and he and I probably go through four or five pots per day. Not exactly great for our health -- but hey, everyone has their vices.