Do You Dumpster Dive?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Deeishere • Jun 2, 2016.

1. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen some really interesting videos of people dumpster diving for items. They carry gloves so they can be safe. I have seen this teenager get free games or reward codes to play games. I guess there is a skill at it. I thought about it, but I really don't want to go through all the trouble. It's just amazing to me how many brand new items companies will just throw away.

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I did go dumpster diving with a couple of friends several years ago. They were needing plants to landscape their new home. We went early one morning to a national plant store and we found tons of plants. Some were "sick" and needed TLC to make them healthy again, but they were free.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never ever thought to do that at all. I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable doing it, either. I once saw this TV programme called Come Dine With Me and there was this student who was open about doing it for food because she was really hard up and all that, and everyone turned their noses up at her. Em, I'm ashamed to say I was one of those people. But then when you saw what she was able to salvage from the dumpsters she frequented, it was unbelievable. More unbelievable was the meals she produced from all that! AND she actually won the show, her food was THAT good. So in as much as I probably wouldn't personally do it, I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for doing it. I say kudos to them.

4. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    I thought about it after I saw the hauls people were getting from Gamestop's dumpsters, but that requires a little more dedication than I possess for saving money. If you have the nerves then more power to you the way I see it, it is a very resourceful act and I respect that.

5. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Your story reminds me of what some of my relatives did. We were all going to a party and they wanted to get the honoree some flowers. They went to the flower shop, but it was closed. They happen to look at the garbage area and there were all kinds of beautiful flowers! They picked a beautiful assortment and gave as a gift. I mean who would know it was thrown out? They were still beautiful and like you said....FREE!

6. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it's nothing to be ashamed about. I have a friend who works at a grocery store and it's amazing how these companies will throw away good food. They use to go out after the store was close and just get all kinds of meat, pastries, and other food items. It was all sealed so it was safe to eat. I think our country waste so much money in throwing good items away.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've heard of this too and from what I understand the best places to do it are the bins where certain companies throw away their stock that won't sell. I've heard stories about people finding old used consoles that were thrown away because no one was buying them, along with many other games with a few minor defects but still works perfectly well. If I found such a bin I think I'd be up for it but only if I knew it was a bin for non biodegradable goods. If there was anything foreign in it I don't think I could handle it.

8. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I have also heard of dumpster diving, but I've never actually done it. Well, sometimes in my apartment complex people throw stuff away and I decide to keep it. The other day, I saw a fan and a nice mirror out by the dumpster. I went to investigate, saw that they were in good condition and took them home with me. I guess that's different from actual dumpster diving since I didn't actually go in the dumpster or anything, but that's as close as I've gotten to dumpster diving. I think it would be an adventure to go though, I need to find friends who would be willing to join me.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree, until you really know the specifics, it can sound GROSS. But I think retailers the world over seriously waste so much. -and when I think how many people are dying of starvation across the world, it really breaks my heart! I recently heard one local supermarket throws away all their left over food from the hot food counter at the end of each shift and I just couldn't believe it. Not even the staff are allowed to help themselves to it!! I don't know if it's to cover themselves and avoid lawsuits, but it's still STUPID.