Do you eat all of the pieces of bread in a loaf?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Jul 28, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up, nobody wanted to eat the end pieces in a loaf of bread. As a result, they usually got tossed out.

After becoming an adult, I learned to appreciate the end pieces more. They come in Handy when I want a piece of toast or dipping bread for soup.
    :D

Would you buy this?
    warburtons_all_ends.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always loved eating the bread crusts. I've heard lots of myths about the crusts being bad for one's health but I never believed them and still don't.

So yeah, I'd certainly buy the loaf of bread in the picture.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I was a weird child, I loved the end pieces! And if I could find a shop near me that sells that All-Ends loaf then I would be in bready heaven! My dad loves the end pieces as well so we have a sort of battle in the house to get to them first! :)

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The end pieces might not be my favorites, but my daughter and I eat them. Nothing goes to waste in our family. Bread is bread, no matter what part of the loaf it comes from.

5. fanaledrinks112

fanaledrinks112New Member

Threads:
    I don't know about healthy, but I absolutely love the ends. My family thinks it's crazy for whatever reason.

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I can't say I would buy a loaf of bread made entirely of the ends or "heels" as I've always called them. However, I don't mind eating them. You're right, they are great for toast and my son can't even tell the difference. My husband, on the other hand, is pretty picky and always leaves those pieces for me.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    It's the opposite in our family when I was growing up. I had three other siblings, all male and we would usually sramble to get these ends. They are perfect when you try to spread colSinced butter on it as they do not tear up by the force. Since I am the youngest, my mom would favor me to have the first end. It was fun to watch my brothers cheat on how to get the other end quickly.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, we eat all of the bread. The end pieces are great for toast or grilled cheese and honestly the ends don't seem to be too thick anymore so they even work for sandwiches. I know some people who use the ends to make French Toast.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only learned to appreciate the ends more as I grew older as well, but we never really threw them out because we always made it a point not to waste resources. I still don't eat them all the time but someone in our family always does. I think it's much better to just use it in some other form like bread for salads or grind it up for use as breadcrumbs since it's not really that good for sandwiches. I don't think I'd ever buy a whole loaf of just the ends, personally.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan at all of the end pieces. I would like a thread that has suggestions for what to do with the end pieces. I suppose I can use them for bread crumbs. I sometimes use them in meatloaf. I just do not care for them as a sandwich of any sort. Toasted or otherwise.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually like to eat those those bread ends. They taste the same with the regular bread anyway, only different in thickness and texture. I think the people in here eat it as well, although only when the regular bread has been exhausted.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big bread person but I love to use the end pieces with a hamburger instead of the bun most people like to eat their burgers on. For some reason the end of the loaf is just right not too much bread or too thin for the burger. I also use the end of the loaf bread to feed the birds and squirrels in the yard, when we have too much bread. The ends also make good bread pudding.

13. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I used to remove the ends too because I felt they tasted different from the white part. They're usually thicker and burnt-like, making me not want them. When I grew older, I learned to eat and love everything in the bread. Besides, the quality got better thru the years. The once thick, burnt-like ends became softer and lighter in color. I also learned the value of food, and not a piece of it should be thrown for no big reasons.

#13Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014