Do You Eat Canned Soup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • May 13, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people don't seem to be big fans of canned foods in general. Canned soup is probably one of the ones I hear the most complaints about but even if you don't eat the soup on its own, do you ever use it for cooking? There seem to be more recipes that use soup all the time.

I don't cook with soup much, and I do prefer to make homemade soup, but I will eat canned soup on occasion. I like tomato, and sometimes, it's on sale too cheap to pass up.

2. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Hmm... I prefer making the soup myself, either for eating or used as an ingredient in another meal, to avoid consuming all the preservatives and other additives present in the canned soup. It seems that the canned versions of soup suffer the most in terms of quality degradation, at least from what I have heard from friends. It is good enough when under time constraints. But, I suggest doing your research on the canned soup brands.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eating canned soup is not an everyday thing for me but yes, I do eat canned soup whenever the occasions calls for it. We don't really eat canned soup as-is. Just like my mother, I worry about the metallic taste - as in the case of most food stuck inside a can for a long time. So we avoid eating directly from the can and make it a habit to pre-heat canned soup before eating them.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must be one of the few people who have never eaten canned soup in their life. I generally don't like tinned food, mainly due to the toxicity of the cans. Many of them have an inner lining that is bad for your health. Also, if a can gets dented or damaged during transport or handling, there can be minute holes through which air and bacteria are able to enter.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to eat it fairly often, but I try to avoid it these days. If I’m extremely lazy I’ll go ahead and have some. I like Amy’s organic soups, though they’re a bit pricier than your usual chicken noodle or tomato soups. But I figure, if I’m only eating a can a month, or every couple of months, it’s probably okay. I prefer making my own soups, though I don’t do it all that often.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I like eating, so I eat canned soup. Some are really good like the pumpkin, tomato, and mushroom kinds. However, I try not to eat canned soup all the time because they contain too much salt. :) Still, canned soup is not so bad. It's very cheap, too!

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have canned soup in my cupboard, but in the UK they tend to be healthier or at least have less artificial ingredients. I only have vegetable soups, but condensed soups are good for sauces and Knorr soups in packets.

The best ones are Baxters which are expensive, but have two of your five a day and Heinz soups are good too with a good proportion of vegetables. In the US I did notice canned soups had a long list of ingredients compared to the UK ones and I would stand there for ages reading them and only ever bought corn chowder as the others had too many artificial ingredients.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't normally buy them myself, but when my folks visit they often bring a bunch of pantry items and hook me up with a bunch of soups, among other things. Sure, it's better to make your own when you can, and it's actually not that time consuming if you use a pressure cooker, but I still think it's a good idea to have some canned soups on hand when you are hungry and want something relatively healthy right away. I know there are concerns over some of the packaging as well as the preservatives used in them - but canned soup is not something I eat daily, let alone several times a day.

When I'm hungry though it's a much lower calorie option and lower in fat too, than me making a burger and fries or a pizza. It's usually just enough to fill me up without having to go crazy with fat and calories.

Plus, you never know when you might have some problems with your fridge and can't get it fixed right away, or perhaps your fridge went bad while you were away for some long period of time and all the food in it is bad now, and you need to rely on your pantry items for a period of time - it's good to have some soups on hand to tide you over in the interim.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have a lot of canned food in our home, because the kids like them, for some reason. To me, they taste like crap. But there are certain times when there is absolutely no food in the house, and I am desperate. That is the only time that I will eat canned soup. I am more likely to eat packet soup with croutons in it, before the canned soup though. Not that that is much better.

10. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I am more of the type of person that likes to make the soup. I really do not like to buy canned foods the thing is just like the soup most of them have so many chemicals in them that they use to keep them good so I think that they do more harm then good. Me I just like to make them myself.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to keep a few cans on hand for when I'm sick. I used to keep ramen in the house for this purpose, too, but I'm getting away from that, because I've noticed it seems to exacerbate some of my health issues, so I'm doing away with the ramen. I haven't noticed the canned soup making me sicker, and I don't eat it that often, so I'm not overly concerned about the ingredients. The main ones I buy are chicken noodle, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom (for cooking, mainly), and tomato. I love scotch broth, it's a holdover from my childhood, but it's sometimes difficult to find down here.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been a fan of canned soups. Even the chunky ones or the 'high quality' ones. I just never liked it. I also LOVE making my own soup so in order to appeal to my tastes & enjoy the experience itself I tend to always side with homemade.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer making my own soups to buying canned. I do, however, can some of my own tomato and vegetable soups. And I do tend to keep certain bought canned varieties around for the once in a blue moon casseroles made with canned soups.

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Actually, I used to eat canned soup before because I find it really delicious. But for the past five years I guess, I now prefer my mom's home-made soup. :)

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't (surprise surprise lol), I don't eat processed foods, I process them myself. Those who enjoy canned foods would probably be surprised how much weight they would lose if they cut these things from their diets because of the cut in sodium alone. The water weight everyone is carrying around on their bodies from salts in processed foods is crazy.

16. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I don't eat it however my daughter loves it. I always have to buy her the canned soup with the Disney Princess's on it (that's the only reason she eats it) but it keeps her happy so I let her have it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I haven't eaten canned soup yet, most are just cooked. However, I would like to try it out when there's a chance even if I'm not much of a soup person.

18. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Yes I do eat canned soup every once in awhile. When I have the time I do make my own soup since it tastes much better, but when I'm feeling too tired or bored I just go with the fastet and easiest soloution hiding in my cupboard.

19. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do sometimes eat canned soup. It's not the best and homemade is obviously better, but it's more of a convenience thing for me. I'm not going to make a huge pot of soup for myself most times, but I'll certainly enjoy a can or two when the craving strikes.

20. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I think it is very hard to find a canned soup that tastes good! I recently bought a packet of cup a soups that tasted fantastic, they call them Ainsley Harriot soups. Unlike most instant soups, this one thickened and tasted really good! As for the canned range, they taste watery and the veg in them is always really mushy and tasteless.