Do You Eat Organ Meats?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ACSAPA • Mar 6, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter likes liver and onions a lot. At my local store, beef liver is $1.28 a package and chicken livers are $1.50 for a plastic container of them.
    Do you ever eat liver or those little chicken hearts, or do you just think organ meats are gross? When I was little, my grandmother made liver for me so I developed a taste for it.
    If you do eat organ meats, do you have a favorite way to make them?

Organ meats are one of the last meats that are still cheap but it's not healthy to eat them all the time. The main benefit is that they are high in iron.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't really eat them any more, but as a kid, I LOVED chicken livers. We would have what we called "lizzards (livers) and gizzards" and I always looked forward to it. Mom would flour them and deep fry them and they were amazing. I didn't realize back then that SHE never ate them, though, and hated cooking them, haha.

3. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I cannot stand liver. I hate the taste and texture of it so I wouldn't be buying that. I can't say that I have actually tried any of the other organs before. I always say I will try something at least once. I have been told that lungs/kidneys are actually very tender meat so I may try them at some point. I have seen cow tongue in the store many times and I just cannot even bring myself to consider eating it. It looks so gross in the package! All I can picture is this big long tongue sticking out of a cow's mouth and then you start to wonder where that tongue has been...

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried cow's tongue either and it looks enormous and weird in the package, but cows just eat grass, so maybe cow's tongue isn't that dirty.

@Jessi, I still deep fry the little chicken livers. My daughter loves them and I don't mind making them at all and I think they're pretty good.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I hate liver with a passion. Just hate the taste... can't stand it. I do my best to stay away from organs, I find that regular meat tastes much better!

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find spleens, lungs and livers rather disgusting but I do enjoy the taste of fried cow tongue. If you ask anyone who's tasted it, they'll definitely tell ya that it's the best 'meat' in a cow. To make it even tastier you could cook it thusly:

Get your cow tongue and cut it up.
    Fry it a little. Don't go for crisp-fried.
    Add onions and cook, there'll be some oil until the onions are brownish.
    If you got fresh tomatoes, chop them up. Add them in.
    Add your seasoning, stir well, then wait a few minutes then taste.

p.s I'm not great at writing cook-stuff but believe me, guys I'm a great cook.

7. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    Haven't had chicken liver in some years, but I used to really like it! (when cooked a certain way) Now I question what was wrong with my mouth as a kid, because the texture of liver is gross to me. I can't think of a way to describe it, but I don't want to think about it right now..

But cow tongue. Oh, my goodness. I LOVE cow tongue.

^That's what I believe! I love the chewiness of cow tongue, and the flavor it absorbs when cooked in that one taco I can't remember the name of. It's a Mexican dish with cow tongue and onions and stuff.. so yummy! Now I really wish the restaurant that sold it was closer and opened late.

But I've never had fried cow tongue before. What's the texture like, fried?
    ...or, no, don't tell me. I'll end up craving it even more. But it made me forget about livers. :rolleyes:

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate liver too, pretty much the same organs you're saying Denis. I am not into tongue either!

As for the ones I love I have to say chicken gizzards, hearts and necks, I cook them with tomato sauce and beer and they are pretty amazing.

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I love liver, heart, gizzard and kidneys.
    Sadly I rarely eat them nowadays as my wife hates eating that stuff with a passion but it's great, it might be hard to get in the right mindset if you aren't used to eating it, but once you try it, there's no flavor like it.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat any meats, let alone the organs of animals, so that would be a really big, emphatic no, lol. I do sometimes look at recipes for animal proteins and use those ingredients to flavor non-meat or seafood dishes. My current partner likes tempeh so I have been experimenting with it lately and created a dish based on shrimp and grits. (I don't like grits, but he had a box of packets of the instant stuff, so I started doctoring it - I use vegetable stock instead of plain water to give it more flavor.)

I think for people who raise animals eating every edible part is smart, but it's just not for me.

11. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OK, so I will share my favorite recipe for chicken gizzards, necks, hearts and some livers just to make the sauce thicker. Put some onion and olive oil, the organs and then tomato sauce, let it on the fire for a while and then add 20cl of beer and let it cook for about one hours, it's delicious! ;)