Do You Eat Organic?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoshTheboss • Jul 3, 2014.

1. JoshTheboss

JoshThebossMember

Threads:
    Yes, it's more expensive, but by eating locally grown food it's not too big of a difference.

So, do you pay for organic?

2. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is extremely important to eat organic! There are so many chemicals and pesticides in the food, not to mention the hormones! It is sad that our government allows the crap in fod that is causing cancer, and so many other illnesses. I think it fuels the FDA to keep people sick, so yes eat organic please!

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really expensive. Nevertheless, I still try to just go for organic. But in some cases, I am not able to afford it, so I would have to go for just the ordinary grown ones. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't have that much option for foods other than fruits and vegetables. So if I would go for organic everyday, it would really cost me a lot. Most of the what I eat are organic though.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Same here, as much as possible I try to eat organic foods but the problem is they are not readily available in our area. Yes, there are weekend "farmer's" market but not anywhere near where I live and they are not available on just any days. But I still get to buy once in a while.

I wish supermarkets here will soon have an organic food section but the thing is (according to supermarket retailers) organic fruits/veggies have a shorter shelf life so naturally these retailers don't prefer selling them. :(

5. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's important also, and I for sure can tell a difference in how it tastes and how I feel. Around here, it's not more expensive. The grocery store has good prices, and for sure the farmer's markets do have good prices. We have a year round market, so it's awesome. I can't say I eat exclusively organic, but I do try and go the extra mile in order to do so. I don't notice a price difference really. I know some places it may be more expensive, and I can respect that when it truly is, honestly, but overall, I think that's a misconception and a justification that keeps getting passed around without people actually checking it out to see if it is or not. I know the farmer's markets may not be exclusively organic, as the word organic has different 'levels', and checkpoints to have to go thru to get the label. But it's still a good start and less expensive here for sure.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    When I can afford it, yes. Each weekend there's a farmers market near my area and depending on the offerings and the money I have at hand, I purchase some of my food from there. This, and what my parents grow supplies most of the organic food I eat. And while most of the food I buy is not organic at least I'm achieving some sort of balance in my diet.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have a few organic foods I tend to buy regularly at the grocery store. It is more expensive but the health benefits are enormous. I wish I could eat organic foods all the time but my budget doesn't allow me to have such luxury. So, I buy 3 organic items and the rest of the food is usually low fat or fat free. Of course I stock up on vegetables (not too big on fruit for some odd reason) and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I wish so much I had more money for organic foods. I have been thinking about growing my food lately. It's been on my mind a lot.

8. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I eat what I can get. I notice when I serve God the best I can he always provides every little thing I need.

I wish I didn't ever worry about my money for food, since I have none lol.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been eating and growing organic food myself for many years now. I don't find it that much more expensive than commercial food since I buy a lot of things that aren't packaged but come directly out of bulk containers. That way I rarely have any waste and can also afford my favourite grains and nuts when I am a little short of cash at the end of the month. As for fresh produce, I go to the local farmer's market and to the community gardens.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, anything I can purchase organic I do. When I was growing up my Mom always fed us organic whenever possible and told us the reasons why, I thought she was a little nutty. 20+ years later and I think I am more concerned about the crap they put in our food and pesticides then she is. We have lots of small famers markets where I live so not only can I eat healthy foods but I can also support local farmers at the same time.

11. Kimberly Williams

Kimberly WilliamsNew Member

Threads:
    I think eating organic is definitely beneficial however, affordability is a huge issue in my household. My husband and I have differing views on the benefits of eating organic he feels that it's just a fad so he isn't very supportive of the idea. From his point of view an organic apple is an apple that cost twice as much as a regular apple. I see the benefits I think it is a shame that all of our food isn't organic and sold at a reasonable price so that all could benefit. If you are struggling financially it is impossible to eat organic. Therefore, you consume all of the chemicals and hormones that make you sick and keep you at the doctor's office simply because of the lack of sufficient income. I strongly feel that this is unfair. If anyone has found a inexpensive way to eat organic please let me know.

12. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    I'm in Ontario, and organic foods here are super expensive. When I visit my boyfriend in Michigan, we eat like 90% organic, because it's way cheaper. I'm looking forward to moving there so I can eat organic all the time.

13. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Nope, I'm starting to believe more and more that the idea of organic foods is a myth, especially since most of our "organic" produce comes from countries that have no organic standards. Your best bet would be to buy locally, or better yet, grow food yourself. Otherwise, I don't see any great advantage or benefit to eating organic food. Take a look at these sites to get a better idea.

14. yamazakura

yamazakuraNew Member

Threads:
    As much as I can. I don't care to have pesticide residues in my body.

My mom used to tease me about it but I notice she is buying a lot of organic foods herself these days as well...

I totally agree with you. I hope the price keeps dropping as organic gets more popular so everyone can afford it.

I recommend choosing conventional produce that you can peel or throw the outer leaves away since that would remove most of the pesticide residue. If you google "dirty dozen vegetables" it will tell you the top 10 fruits and vegetables with the most pesticide residues, so those you might want to avoid/peel if possible.

#14Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  15. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I eat organic. My favorite is organic burger made from perfectly organic cow meat and topped with organic veggies. They are a little bit expensive but the health value is enough to compensate the price. I also eat organic rice. Actually my place support organic farming.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Organic always sounds better, but the taste is only ever so slightly better and the health benefits maybe too. Basically it's not only the cost, but also the availability that matters. Not everyone has the produce and then if you are on a budget it's simply not practical. I eat it when I can, but that's not everyday and also while I support the movement, financially I can't.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I've already went on and on about this in other threads, so I'll just say.. most people aren't really eating organic. Don't believe labels.. actually do the work and look into the companies.

I eat locally whenever possible. That's the most important thing. Organic or not, if you're fruit grew on a truck, you're not getting much benefit from them. The longer a food has been off the vine or tree or dug up, the less nutrients it holds. By the time it gets to the grocery store and then to you, it's pretty depleted. Is "organic" more important than why you're eating the food to begin with? I only eat organic foods if I've looked into the company and find they live up to that word the best they can.