Do you eat out with a bad tipper?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Nick2011 • Jan 31, 2013.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Do you guys have any friends or relatives who are bad tippers? Do you avoid eating out with them in public for fear they'll embarrass you? Or hurt your reputation at a certain establishment that you frequent often?

2. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    I can't think of any of my friends that are bad tippers. I think maybe only my dad could be a bad tipper, if the waitress is not the best in the world and act like he is the only person that matters.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a relative who is a horrible tipper. I avoid eating out with her. She is just horribly stingy even though she is demanding of the server. It's just embarrassing.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, none that I can think of. My husband is too generous and my friends are okay they aren't really stingy. I hardly hang out with many relatives, but the ones I eat out with are fine, I never feel embarrassed.

5. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I will not refuse to eat out with my friends just because they are bad tripper, though it embarrassed me sometimes. Unless you don't make friends with such people, or just accept it.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Tipping is an anecdotal detail on the outs with friends. I like to leave the appropriate tip (when the service is appropriate) and if my friends "forget" to comply with that rule, I try to compensate for their lack of kindness. Anyway that's not an impediment to sharing a good time with them. I don't question what each person does with his money. Fortunately, my friends are generous in this regard and never omitted tip, but it is an event that happens rarely. :)

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must confess to being a bad tipper. I don't even tip sometimes. I don't agree with the whole concept of tipping. I believe it is the duty of the employer to pay their waiters and waitresses, the customer should not be obliged to supplement their poor wages.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with Bolt but unfortunately, they don't pay them decent wages and the waiters/waitresses end up relying on getting tips to get by. I have known several people that have needed tips just to buy food. If I know that I am with a bad tipper, they are the ones picking up the tab so I will usually offer to "get the tip". Almost everytime, they agree to the arrangement and I try to slip the tip as we are leaving so they can't see how much I am leaving and not take any offense to it.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I am occassionally a bad tipper, but only if I get suckered into going out with friends who have more money than I do, and I can barely afford to pay for my own meal. This is rare, though, since most of my friends are sensitive to my financial situation, and will offer to pay for me if they take me someplace they know I can't afford.

10. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I've had experiences with a couple of friends in which if a whole big group of us were to dine out, these two would refuse to leave their share of the tip. I respect people with their strong stance and I don't mind it, but I do wonder how they constantly deal with this awkward situation every single time.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I still eat out with bad tippers.

I just do the tip myself. So if, for example, they offer to pay the bill, then I'll be sure to leave a nice tip. Or if we're splitting, then I'll usually "treat" the tip as well. Or I'll just take the entire bill and tip myself.

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    All my friends tend to be very generous when it comes to things like this. I always try to be a good person who tips a normal amount because I know how bad those wages may be.

13. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I am slowly turning every bad tipper I know into a good tipper. I worked as a waitress for 5 years. When I'm out to eat with someone, I try to point out all the things a server has going on. If someone has never worked in the food industry, they usually have no idea everything the server is going throught to get them their food.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I always eat out with a very good over tipper. It makes no sense to want to be seen but that guy wants everyone to notice him when he is out to eat. I always tell him, make sure you leave a tipp but you don't have to over tip anyone because they see you are here. No harm meant!

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I know anyone like this at the moment. I have definitely been out in groups where people had crazy ideas about what they should or should not tip, but having been a server, a hostess, and a manager, I don't entertain that kind of behavior. What I find more of a challenge in going out with groups is that people forget to include tax when figuring out their part of the bill.

16. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    My inlaws are terrible tippers! We went out to dinner a few months back and they said they would treat. I thought that was very nice of them. The bill game to $68, and they left a FIVE DOLLAR TIP! Not even a 10% tip. And the waitress was wonderful. It was a bill and service that I easily would have given a $12 tip for. I was so embarrassed, but had no cash on me. We left, and my husband and I went straight to the grocery atm, and went back and gave the waitress more money. His parents have no idea we did it and would probably be mad if they knew.

17. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who doesn't leave a tip at all. I end up just tipping for the entire table, especially since he usually is the one who troubles the waitstaff the most with his super specific requests.

18. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I hate when high maintenance people are bad tippers. I want to be like, seriously, you are running these people ragged, at least give them some compensation for their work!

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Part of bad tippers' mentality might be cultural. I have a European friend who tells me that in other places in the world, waiters are not consistantly underpaid as they are in the US, and that to give a waiter a big tip is seen as a condescending insult. Similarly, most of my friends who have worked in the food service industry tell me that they get their worst tips from European tourists.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Whoa, really?

I can see not tipping very big frequently if they're not that underpaid. Why would it be such an insult to give a big tip, though? Wouldn't it just be an even bigger compliment for good service? :(