Do you eat pork?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by isabbbela • Apr 7, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone!

I'm at my aunt's house since last weekend, my grandma has been here since last month and she has been cooking everyday.
    I really do love her food - as most grandmas she cooks divinely! But yesterday she make a pork dish that was really fat, there was actual huge pork fats on it. And I'm normally totally OK with pork, I like the meat it's very tasty. But eating that pork yesterday made me really grossed out!! The fat was overwhelming, it's that really white creamy fat that just looks bad.

And that got me thinking if the fat disgusted me visually or if it just tasted nasty. And I think it was both!

I'm sure I will eat pork again in the future, but I'm pretty sure it will take me a while to eat it again! Do you eat pork?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how things are in where you live, but in here, pork is pretty cheap so its inevitable not to get one, anyways. Yes I do eat pork but not the fat, those are just horrifying! I mean its pure fat! But regardless, pork when done right can be very tasty, I especially like the roasted one, I'm not sure whats the name for that pork recipe but its pretty tasty.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It is because you ate the part with a lot of fat. I eat most parts that at least have meat. A lot of fat is not good. Then you do not need to add any fat to cook it. Its fat is enough to keep you going. I love pork when it is prepared well.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do eat pork.

Rarely though. I only eat pork when someone is cooking BBQ Ribs. Other than that i do not touch pork. I do not like the physical tole it takes on my body. When i eat pork. My stomach feels full for a few days. Like the pork is taking along time to digest.

For that reason. I stay away from pork for the most part.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian and the mere thought of someone killing a sweet little pig makes me feel ill. However, I come from a family that used to keep pigs when I was a kid. My grandparents would slaughter them and use every part of the animal, including its intestines, to make intestine soup. On special occasions, such as birthdays, a piglet would be destroyed and roasted for a whole day on a spit over an open fire.
    I am familiar with the entire process from stabbing a pig with a knife while it is crying for its life, to seeing it cut open, shaved, its abdominal content removed and the carcass cut up into pieces. I really don't like it all. That's the least I can say to this subject.

#5Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. Belindafierce

BelindafierceMember

Threads:
    I eat pork myself. Pretty much, i'll eat anything that doesn't kill me, I have a ton of food allergies so I don't intend to limit myself any if I don't have to. It sounds like your aunt just forgot to cut off the fat before cooking it. I have a habit of scraping the fat off of beef and pork before I even prepare them. Nobody enjoys a mouthful of fat I suppose.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely detest pork. Not for religious reasons but I just cant stand the smell. Also I have a paranoia about parasites, and poorly cooked pork is known to be a potential cause of many parasite infestations. The smell is horrible too, and sometimes makes me nauseated.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I don't eat pork for health reasons, I have some sort of intolerance to the meat that makes me feel bad. It's been probably around 20 years since I don't eat it, but looking back to it, I think it was a great call because pork in the most unhealthy meat of them all.

9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't eat pork it is unhealthy and pigs live nasty lives. Pigs are full of parasites that can withstand high temperatures. I don't eat meat at all anymore.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What exactly did she make? Or how did she prepare it? I'm curious now because it sounds like she may not have cooked the meat long enough. If it was a really fatty cut of meat, like a pork shoulder, then she likely didn't cook it long enough and let the fat render out.

I believe the authentic recipe for Carnitas calls for the pork roast to be slow cooked first, then the meat is chopped into large chunks and deep fried in even more rendered pork fat. But the end result isn't fatty or greasy - the meat is brown and crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth soft in the middle.

11. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Pork is a little more fatty than the rest of the meats out there but I must admit that it is by far one of my most favorite foods. Especially when you pour bbq sauce all over it. YUM!

12. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I cook the pork with the fat on, like most meats it keeps the meat juicy. But once it is done I cut off the fat so no one has to eat it. I don't blame you I don't like eating hunks of fat. Looking at it doesn't bother me, but I will not eat it. I did once and it was gross. It like melted in your mouth as one big thing of grease.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do eat pork, I actually love it, but like you I don't like the taste of fat at all! As a kid I don't eat fat and until now I still don't. They taste and feel icky! I only eat fat if it's deep fried and crispy like in pork chops. Otherwise I give the fat to my cat, he eats it but sometimes he doesn't finish it all, maybe because he got sick of the taste too.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat bacon and breakfast sausage, though more often the bacon. I don't eat the sausage that much. If you put bacon on anything, I'd probably eat it. Have you ever tried bacon sundaes? Those are the best. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with GERD last year so I can't really enjoy it like I used to but bacon is so tasty to me and I'm already a picky eater.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do eat pork but I know what you mean. I sometimes get grossed out with meat too and I think it has something to do with feeling disconnected with the animal it came from for so many years of only seeing it in grocery stores. It's slowly making me want to turn vegetarian but I guess the one pork product I'd probably never get sick of would be bacon.

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Occasionally I use bacon and eat pork tenderloin. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of pork. I am not a fan of ham. I am not a fan of ribs. I am not a fan of chops. Just not my cup of tea.