Do You Eat Raw Food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • Nov 16, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are some people who have resolved to go raw for varying reasons. Chief among them is to preserve the nutritional composition of thei food especially vegetables. There are other benefits like saving on energy costs associated with cooking as well as saving on time.

2. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Raw foods are full of everything our bodies need to be vital and healthy, inside and out. Look at a raw foodist's hair, skin, energy, outlook on life - it is all generally outstanding. Cooking often includes oils, which in most cases releases carcinogens into your skin and onto your plate (use coconut oil or safflower oil to heat if you must - never heat olive oil even though so many recipes call for it!). Look at your water after boiling or steaming broccoli. Green? Yep - vitamins and minerals are in there too. If you're not saving that water to make a soup, you're wasting some parts of the food that your body really wants. If you're eating raw nuts, soak them at least a couple of hours first to release the enzymes and assist in digestion. Same with lentils or any beans. You can actually hear them sprouting after your drain them and let them sit overnight. Living food is so good for us - give it a shot!

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's safe in my country to eat raw meat. It has been known to contain lots of bacteria and they need to be cooked to get rid of it. I know of some countries that have people that only eat raw meat and right off the animal sometimes.

As for fruit or vegetables, I always eat them raw. If I'm going to eat a carrot or any kind of vegetable, it's always raw. I dislike the taste of cooked vegetables and fruits. It's also fun snacking on some raw, crunchy broccoli, cucumbers or carrots while watching television.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So good veggies and fruits are eaten raw or cooked. Keeping the water tea that's made from boiled veggies is a very good idea. We par boil our bitter melon and drink the cooled tea bitter melon tea to keep our diabetes 2 in check. Bitter melon is good defense against diabetes 2 as are others like lentil. Some people don't like raw fish, but we like it here in Hawaii for poke or sashimi which is very big with Orientals especially during New Years festivities celebrated with sashimi or poke. This is poke-the sesame seed oil makes this dish so good!

upload_2016-11-23_19-3-21.
    (image is from

where you can get recipes too.)

Sashimi platter via

. This platter costs $138.00! Kind of makes you wish you knew how to fish, lol! We here in Hawaii well, most of us love fresh fish raw. Foods are many and many are raw. Food is to enjoy anytime whether raw or cooked.
    [​IMG]

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Since I am a vegetarian eating raw comes naturally to me. Most veggies and of course all fruits are consumed in that fashion.

It's nutritious as long as you clean them well.

You can add various dressimg incase eatimg them raw is an issue.

Non veg is best consumed properly cooked for obvious health reasons.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can eat some vegetables raw and all fruits but I cannot eat meat raw. I like to boil my meat, thereby killing all forms of bacteria before eating, this way too the meat becomes softer for consumption. Inasmuch as I can eat many other foods raw I am used to slight heating before final eating. I think this makes the food more palatable.

7. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Raw vegetables (and fruits, of course - esp. bananas) are about as far I go when it comes to eating raw. I guess I'm just too paranoid about eating anything uncooked. Chicken scares me. I am obsessed with checking the center of the chicken fillet (even in a chicken sandwich or Chicken McNugget) to make sure it is thoroughly-cooked and not pink or slimy. Those are the 2 things to look for when checking to see if chicken is cooked well - beware of pink and slimy. That part is UN-cooked, and you can and will get sick from it. Also, watch out for 2 Chicken McNuggets that have been accidentally cooked together to form one giant mega-McNugget. 9 out of 10 times, the middle part didn't get cooked well enough. :eek:

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I always make sure that I have raw food in my daily menu. Green salad and vegetable salad is usually included in my food at least once in a day. I also eat raw vegetable such as raddish, carrot, cucumber, tomato, cabbage etc. Apart from raw food, I also eat half cocked food. When I eat leafy vegetable, I always make sure it is half cocked.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Fruits and some of the veggies what we eat raw. From nutritional point of view though it is better to have more and more raw food stuffs, but given the pesticides residue in raw vegetables I avoid their thorough consumption. However, we have a kitchen garden at home. Whatever I have from there are purely organic. So we eat them raw.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In a selective way, I eat foods raw. Small fishes soaked with vinegar are my favorite. That is correct. Nutrients and other phyto chemicals are at their best when eaten raw. Sometimes we used to eating raw foods when my assoiates, friends, and peers are having a drinking spree once in awhile.

11. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    When I was on vacation in Ilocos Sur, my relatives there were eating raw beef and yellow fin which was a type of tuna I think. I tried eating the raw beef and it did not taste good. It was a bit bitter because of something that they were putting into the meat, about the fish it was really disgusting that I had diarrhea for 3 days after trying a spoonful of it. I never ever tried eating any of that again.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an actress here named Cheloy Muhlach who had popularized the raw diet. She eats only food that can be eaten raw like nuts and some vegetables. Obviously she is a vegetarian since she cannot eat raw meat. She said that cooking food destroys the nutrients. I agree that you can save a lot of money if you do not cook your food. However, I would not be happy in missing the delicious cooked food that I can eat now.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My raw food intake is limited to salads and fruits. I sometimes do a course of mixed sprouts for a change adding in my list Bengal gram, lentils and wheat. However eating sprouts is supposed to be the best raw intake for health purpose provided it is eaten in proper way or prescribed by the natural therapists.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I eat every fruit and vegetable raw unless it is incorporation into the meal I am cooking. I like to eat lettuce and cellary salad mixed in with salt and lemon, so delicious. I actually enjoy eating most salads with salt and lemon instead of any dressings. Raw is better for all the nutrients to be present.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The fact whether you are a vegetarian or not there are certain foods that needs to be heated before you can actually consume them. Some would irritate the mouth and throat or even the stomach. So many of the raw foods go with bacteria and germs that need to be killed by heating before eating. These microorganisms could be pathogenic if consumed raw.

16. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I have no issues about eating vegetables that can be eaten raw like salad vegetables. I will not eat raw veggies that are meant to be cooked because human body cannot digest them.

I have no issue about eating raw seafood because I am a huge fan of sashimi. I won't eat raw poultry, land mammals or reptiles though. Those animals are meant to be cooked.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If I eat all my food raw I am not sure I will have them function properly in my system. It could be simply due to the fact my system is already used to cooked food. I think cooking to a great extent help release the nutrients locked up in foods better.

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't eat raw food, and I will never eat raw food, because it's simply not appetizing to me. I also don't even like half-cooked vegetables. That's why I will never eat sushi and other similar uncooked foods. You'll never know if there are bacteria still lingering in those raw foods!