Do you enjoy watching musicals?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Nov 18, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rock of Ages, High School Musical, Les Miserables... These are all musicals. And you know what? I didn't enjoy them one bit. I did like the music of Rock of Ages but I liked to listen to it. But as a movie? I really didn't like it. The same goes with other musical movies and shows. I don't know. I just can't get into a good musical that could engage me from beginning to end. What about you? Do you enjoy watching musicals?

2. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching musicals. I think that the ones they did long agao were the best. My favorites are Singin in the Rain and My Fair Lady. These are two grwat classic musicals. I like The Phantom of The Opera as well. I habe always loved the Broadway version and I also liked the motion picture they did of it. I think they did a very good job with it.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been able to get into musicals.. my girlfriend finds it a real shame because she loves them!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find movie versions boring, most of the time. I prefer to watch the live plays, and even then, I'm picky. Honestly, I prefer plays, wherein there is more dialogue than music, but musicals are alright too.

5. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Musicals are too much of a hit or miss for me to reliably enjoy them
    I will enjoy a couple of them if the music is great and hits me just right, but more often than not I find myself cringing through songs and wishing for it to be over.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This is a genre that I'm slowly discovering. I enjoy the films and musicals play an important role in the box office of the last years. There are works that are very good and perfectly express the most valuable features of the genre, but there are many productions that aren't at the height of the screen. We must keep in mind that the last technical advances allow more interesting development of these artistic expressions. We must put aside prejudices and go a little beyond, there is always the possibility of a pleasant surprise. I watch a lot of asian films there Asian and this kinds of movies are abundant in that screen, this is why I'm getting used.

7. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I like the Greese movies, Dirty Dancing, and Step Up, this is the closest I will get to a musical. I think that the traditional musical movie has evolved into these types of movies and are more interesting. I like Take the Lead, Antonio Banderas because it showed a group of students that were so into one style of music that they were missing out on others. This teach took the time to enlighten them and open new avenues for these lost children of music. It made me want to learn a different style of dance myself.

8. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I do like to watch musicals sometimes because it's more than just the music video itself. However, it depends on what kind of movie because not all the musical movies are good. I like watching Spectacular, which is one of my favorite musical movies. I didn't know what to expect in that movie, which I had no idea what the movie was about. I ended up liking the movie a lot, which was strange in a good kind of way.

9. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love musicals, its so entertaining and artistically made, especially those that use different genres in the performances. The ability of the performers to act, dance and
    sing makes it more spectacular. Live musicals are very challenging because there are no cuts and I can just imagine how hard they would have practiced. It makes me appreciate it more.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy musicals, my favorite is West Side Story, an old one, also Greese, the original version, Dirty Dancing got me up every morning to the beat of the music. Up beat musicals I like the others not so much. Some music in a movie is okay some times.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use to be the same way I hated musicals! If I started watching a movie and seen it was a musical id change it and watch something else. That changed when I watched grease for the first time. I love grease! First musical movie I ever watched start to end I have probably watched this movie a million times. I also kind of like high school musical but so far grease is number one for me!

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that most musicals suck in my opinion. They tend to not really engage you as a viewer because music is involved and i say that it is a no go. There is more to it all than just music. I am here to be entertained on all aspects and so i would like to have something great and inspiring in a musical.

13. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    No, I actually hate watching musicals lol. I hate when I'm starting to get into the movie and then the cast ends up breaking into song and dance. I just find it so corny every time lol.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to sit through High School Musical 3 and didn't like it. It was the first musical I ever watched and don't imagine that I will ever try it again. But of course, we all have different tastes. There are those who love them and others like me, who don't.

15. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Not too fond of musicals. The entire thing feels beyond cheesy. I don't like a lot of Bollywood movies for the same reasons.

16. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I would much rather be watching a non-musical lol. Even when I was a kid watching those Disney movies I would want those musical parts to be over because it got really annoying!

17. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I love Musicals! As long as they are not the only kind of movie I watch, they do offer a very nice change of pace from the usual stuff coming out.

18. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I'm also not into musicals except for one and that is the Phantom of the Opera starring Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum. It was my husband who first saw this musical and encouraged me to sit down beside him so we could watch it together. At first, I thought it was going to bore me to tears. But I was mistaken. I liked it very much and so much so that I watched it again 3 more times.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate musicals, I think that all that singing is quite boring, I tried watching High School Musical and Glee, and I really wasn't able to finish the show, I switched channels after a few minutes of watching it. I think they're boring, and they sort of deviate from the flow of the story line.

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely do love watching musicals. Yes, I have already watched Les Miserables and that movie is so freaking awesome. I enjoyed it very much. Another one is Pitch Perfect which made me laugh so hard. It's so funny and very entertaining. I also like the Glee series.