Do you enjoy watching musicals?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Nov 18, 2013.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I generally don't like musicals especially when they take themselves way too seriously because to be honest, I think movie musicals are just silly in a way. I enjoy them more on stage rather than in the silver screen. The only musical that I loved watching and truly enjoyed was Tenacious D in the The Pick of Destiny.

2. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    The last musical movies I saw were Les Miserables and Into the Woods. I kind of like watching them because they are unique kind of movies since the actors are singing their lines and it is very entertaining for me. You would be amazed that some actors you didn’t know could sing could actually sing well. The tunes and background music are also good to the ears and are very catchy. It is like watching a broad way musical but an on-screen version of it. Having the script sang also makes it less boring and plain throughout the story. It really depends on your preference.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    By the way, for those who say they hate musicals maybe we forgot something? Most Disney animations are "musicals." Don't tell me you've never watched the following movies and liked them:

Beauty and The Beast.
    The Little Mermaid.
    The Jungle Book.

Those are a few of the classics.

If The Sound of Music is a Musical then I think musicals aren't that bad after all.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really prefer watching musicals. I'm not an enthusiast, but once that it's there, I'm there watching it, I usually eventually enjoy my stay there. But to voluntarily have myself present in one or watch something musical isn't something I would do. In those few instances that I've watched musical, mostly were unintentional, meaning that I wasn't watching them solo. Either I'm with my cousins or with a bunch of people who've come to democratic decision to play or go to a musical performance.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't, not really. The only musical I've actually seen, if I remember correctly, was Repo, and while I did like it, it was because of its' unique aesthetics. I don't really have any interest in watching other musicals.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have a soft spot for some of the old classic musicals - The Sound of Music, Oliver, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc. But I'm not as captivated by more modern ones - they don't resonate as much for me. That said, I quite liked Dreamgirls and Chicago was enjoyable.

7. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    OMG! Yes I love musicals. All types of musicals, I'm off to watch Hairspray on Saturday, I can't wait! I love watching musicals with my daughter or any of my family members. It's a great feeling going to a theatre to watch a musical that the cast have worked so hard on :)

8. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of musicals. However there are two movies that I like. They are Les Miserables and Pitch Perfect. I have DVDs of the 10th and 25th year concert of Les Miserables and I find it nice. I also find the movie adaptation great.

9. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    No I don't like musicals, I gave them a chance and I just couldn't get into it. I feel like movies should portray life as realistically and possible and people don't just randomly burst out into songs instead of saying what they feel. I even skipped some scenes through 'Frozen' because I couldn't stand the singing.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on the kind and type of musicals. I've watched Les Miserables and honestly, I fell asleep. Just can't stand the thought of them singing instead of acting. Just when the story becomes interesting, suddenly the singing part comes in. As with Frozen, it was different. I did enjoy the movie, especially the singing part. I enjoyed Olaf's character, a lovable and adorable snowman.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not really a musical person. I have always been someone who enjoys the realness of stories and movies and of TV shows. Musicals require one to suspend that, because in real life no one just breaks into song, and everyone around them doesn't begin to dance, and they do not join in. Like, what are the chances that they'll all know the words?? Unrealistic. There are a few classics that I enjoy, like The Wizard of Oz, and such, but other than that musicals are not my thing.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I personally hate them with a passion not unless it's a comedy or a parody but if it's like a serious movie I just can't stand it. The only musicals that I enjoy are animated movies, especially Disney movies but of course it has to be in good taste.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hahaha!! I am dating someone who loves them, and I have just finished having a conversation with her about all of her favorites, and she sometimes just tells me lyrics for some of the songs. She knows I don't care for musicals, and I find them boring lol. But she goes on anyway. She loves disney stuff too. The only Disney musical worth watching is The Lion King, in my opinion. Epic movie.

14. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I watched the Oscar 2015 and I found Lady Gaga's interpretation of the Sound of Music very entertaining. It also somewhat triggers me to view the movie Sound of Music and I am happy that I did. I really enjoy it. Bravo. Julie Andrews is amazing.

15. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The last musical I saw (if you don't count Disney's FROZEN) was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (with Johnny Depp & ... that guy who was Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives). The Les Mis. I saw was the one (with Geoffrey Rush & Uma Thurman and ... that guy who was Ra's Al Ghul in Nolan's BATMANs) which wasn't a musical.

But I liked ST: TDBOFS (& Andrew Lloyd Webber's JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR & The Phantom of the Opera and others I'm not thinking-of), but maybe I have a different perception. Maybe I look at movies as more of a 'mental "gigantic painting" (I forget the word)' and maybe you look at them as 'cinematic retellings of long-ago events.'

I'm sure I looked at some TV-shows the latter way growing-up, and--after a moving episode of glee or Saved by the Bell--was surprised that people weren't randomly breaking into song at school the next day.

16. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    The last one I thoroughly enjoyed was the musical, "The Book of Mormon" by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the same guys who made Southpark. It was really fun and very entertaining. "Rent" was also good when it was still around, and I would have loved to watch "the Beauty and the Beast" when I was in Broadway, but I didn't get the chance.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy them, but I don't like every movie... for example I recently watched Into The Woods and was not a huge fan. I did not enjoy how long the movie was and how some stories seemed unnecessary for the storyline and some music sounded off. But for example I loved Chicago and Moulin Rouge.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer watching musicals live on stage, I think much of the feel of the musical is lost if it is done on the film medium. I watched Les Miserables and while Hugh Jackman didn't do a poor job by any means I just didn't find the film particularly interesting.

19. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes I really do love watching musicals because I'm into that kind of entertainment. That movie Chicago was fantastic and I also liked the other one called Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    I could not agree more if I tried lol. Musicals, on film, are only good in the few. But when you take them to a live theater, on stage, they really come to life in a way that the movies just fail miserably to capture. The stages always look so awesome too, and all of the props. It's truly a magical experience.