Do You Enjoy Working At Home Instead of Commuting?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Lena51 • Jul 16, 2012.

1. Wasabi

WasabiNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love working at home! The privacy and comfort is unrivaled. Less stress compared to an office, really. You don't have to worry a lot about coworkers, bosses, and those dreaded deadlines.

My favorite thing though about working at home is the fact I get to stay home with my family. I would rather enjoy seeing my beautiful sister growing up rather than being stuck in an office all day long.

The money I save from gas from working at home is extraordinary. I used to drive a couple hours to work which was a frustration itself due to traffic.

2. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I do love working at home. It gives me the flexibility I need. I can balance my schoolwork with my money making thanks to my computer. I've been earning myself a good sum of income to help pay for home expenses and my tuition fee.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    When I get my first or second job (I'm about to go into college), I hope to be able to work from home, not really as a freelancer, but more in a dependence relation. That way I wouldn't need to care so much about the hours I'd need to work to make enough for the month.

4. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I think there are good and bad points to working at home. I love not having to get up and get on a packed train like I used to, I really hate commuting! Getting home late was a pain too, especially when trains were running late, I used to stand around for ages which really ruins the day when you are tired after work. I don't get to choose my own hours even though I work from home though, I work the standard day so that is no different. I do sometimes miss the companionship you get from working with other people though, especially if you end up with a good team around you, the social aspect is important. There can be more pressure working at home too, as you don't really have anyone to fall back on or ask for help when you have a lot of work to do.

5. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I would love to be able to work at home, but I cannot afford to give up my current job and there is not much I can do at home.

6. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I love working from home. I started working from home after I had my son because I wanted to be a stay at home mom with him. Well now that he has started school, I still am very happy because I get the privilege of dropping him off of school and picking him up, etc without having to worry about being late to work...I like setting my own hours and having the ability to watch television in the background while I work. I actually make more money from home than I did at the job that I had when I decided to stay home with my son. My previous boss found out that my son started school and tried to ask me to come back to work. When I told him how much I was making weekly, he was shocked that I could make so much. It is such a blessing to have and I'm so happy for the two jobs that I have from home.

7. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to find a job that I could do from home. I only do the odds and ends sort of jobs online that make me between $200-$300 a month. That's good pocket money, but I wouldn't consider that work. Unless I can find an honest work-at-home job where I can make $1,000 or more each month, I will soon have to work outside my home. As much as I love being a homemaker and doing these little jobs online, I need to get my mortgage paid off faster.

The only good thing about working in a B&M is I get to have insurance again. We've been without it for almost a year and it's really scary living that way.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently doing both but if I could, I would work full time from home. I just couldn't make enough to pay the bills and I did find a part time job. The part time doesn't pay the bills by itself either so I am doing both for now.

9. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do enjoy working at home. For one thing, I'm not tied up with time pressures and I still have time for my children. I once had an 8-hour job at the hospital and I did love my job. But there were times that waking up in the morning and reporting for work can be a real struggle.

10. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I love working at home, but my job doesn't allow me to do everything at home. I go to the office 2-3 times a week. The kids go with Daddy or grandparents while I'm there. So far it's working well we have 2 kids, and I can't see how it will work with 3. I think it will be to much to work at home with 3 kids. At that point, I'm hoping to go part time at home.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I too work from home, and I do like it. The problem though I haven't really found anything that pays me enough to sustain me. But also to be honest I kind of stumbled into working at home, mainly because it seem like no one outside my home would hire me. With my age and health issues it has become harder to find work outside my house, so I now find myself trying to find work from home jobs to try to get by.

12. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I still commute as I have a small home based business and I work a day job. Working from home will happen for me when I become a famous Hollywood screen writer. Once I sell my first screenplay, that'll be my work from home gig. Because I will truly have broken into the business, and will have to churn out scripts quickly.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know at first it might get boring but just go for a walk and talk to other people then you can continue with your day. There is always a way to do things and mix among the crowd if you like, but you can do it on your time and schedule and never worry about a boss to fire you or talk stuff to you when you return.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the amount that I earn online is quite small as compared to what I earn offline, so maybe I will get to choose working at home than in the office when I'm lucky enough to earn a couple of hundred dollars consistently per month online.

15. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I use to be the same way as far as wanting to be back out in the office world around other people and I did by working as a Medical Billing Department and I have to say I hated it. It was nice being around other people, but having to follow others rules and guidelines I noticed I had gotten spoiled to doing my own thing, that's when I realized I had a blessing or a jewel right here working from home. I love your idea of renting an office, I never thought about it like that. Now you say, "you like the idea of getting up at a certain hour and dress yourself." Have you ever thought about doing that from the house? I have thought about doing that as well. I have an home office and I have spoiled myself from working in the bed, but I have truly thought about setting my alarm to get up and make me breakfast, take a shower, and put on some clothing even if it is just some sweat pants and T-shirt. My main work from home Opportunity I always work the graveyard shift anyhow. I guess socially you miss out with working from home, but you gain so much more, buy not having to be so structured by having your own rules and regulations, you can save on expenses for gas, uniforms, and any other items you would have to purchase at work. You also set your own pace for working!!

16. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like I have the best of both worlds, as my job requires me to do certain things from my home office, and for certain things I have to meet with people. I love the idea that I set my own hours: last night I kept working until 4am, and today I totally didn't get out of bed until noon. However, if I did this all the time (as I used to) it would be incredibly isolating. I'm glad I get to put in face time with people as well, usually over coffee, tea, or drinks.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I also am someone who loves working at home. I just love being at home and the whole atmosphere in which you feel comfortable and cozy.
    Working at home presents a lot of comforts while commuting somewhere takes more effort and has it's disadvantages most of the time such as traffic
    or unpleasant people. Therefore when I am at home it eliminates all those discomforts in my opinion.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like working at home but there are drawbacks to everything, and the drawback to working from home is that you don't make an hourly wage. Since you're not paid by the hour, you have to be really productive and work more hours to make a decent amount of money to pay a couple of bills. The amount you save by not having to pay for day care can be like bringing in a second paycheck for some families because day care is expensive in some areas.

19. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I would love to go out and work. I like to work as well as socialize with people. I dont like the idea of working at home as I hate being stucked there and all that.

20. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of working at home, but then I love working in an environment where I have officemates and of course I love having a fixed salary every month or per hour. Working at home can be an advantage if you have kids. But since I don't have kids, I would still prefer working in an office. I know I would earn more if I work in the office. When I was working in the office, I can go out and have a good time even at work. But now, I just can't do the same.