Do You Ever Bargain On Things You Buy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mildredtabitha • Sep 11, 2017.

1. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    As much as possible I do. Haggling the price is a part of doing any business. If they don't let me wrangle with the price that they are showing, that is fine. The main thing is I tried because if they would agree to my term, it would be an advantage for me. Of course, I do things to where it is appropriate. Just imagine yourself squabbling for a Big Mac.

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. Most of the places where I shop have fixed prices, so there's no bargaining going on at all. But if I find myself somewhere where I can bargain and negotiate, then I might try it, say if I'm at a garage sale or someplace like that. Otherwise I just pay the price that is asked/posted and hope that I'm getting a good deal.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, why not? In some places, it's even expected (and necessary if you don't want to overpay).

I usually leave this to places like thrift stores, flea markets, and second hand shops or whatever, but at times, I've even haggled at regular stores. If an item is damaged (and I know I can fix it easily and cheaply) I might ask for it to be marked down. They usually don't mind, since they want to get rid of it.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat I agree with your points but that's not regular buying if you do it from garage, secondhand market or footpath market. By the way we have footpath markets in most Asian countries and in my country India they will easily outnumber the regular shops in almost all household products. Bargaining is the name of the game in all these shops and you're never sure of quality or guarantee. These are as good as you get them.

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually bargain on things I plan to buy. I simply ask for the price of something and if it is more money than I won't to spend then I just turn away from it and look for a cheaper alternative. If not that, then I simply try to look for some good deals on it. Though, bargaining is a great approach to getting an item for a modest price, it just depends on the person and location.

6. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    The only place where I bargain is when I am buying fish (lol) I prefer going to fixed price shops and it is mostly online If I like something I will buy no matter what the price provided I have the budget for it.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, unless I am at a yard sale or flea market or something. The only time I might haggle or bargain is if I don't care that much about the item in question or I think I can get a better price. I think you can even haggle in stores though if you are dealing with someone in authority. You have to deal with someone who has decision making power.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. You might even have to get a manager involved sometimes. A lot of people don't want to go to the trouble. For me, it's like I earned the discount, which is in essence another way of earning money. A penny saved is a penny earned, right? Of course, I'm not going to literally haggle over a penny, but if I can get a couple bucks off something that isn't quite perfect, why not? ;)

9. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    Yes, that's why it was so important to make friends with a lot of sellers cause you can easily talk them out when it comes to meeting an agreement. It's not that hard to bargain things, it's just natural.

10. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    The starting price a store owner will mention to a customer is almost always double what he bought the commodity for.Some people who don't have the skills to negotiate will find themselves giving the seller 100% profit which is not ideal.I always bargain before coming to an agreement with the seller especially on substantial products.Things like clothes and shoes are what I categorize as substantial.Sellers will tend to sell these commodities at sometimes triple their value because they know customers are easily tempted to fall for the con.Basic commodities like groceries however are always sold at a fair price because the sellers compete amongst themselves to provide and so there is a high rate of supply.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I do once but I usually ask for the last price. I avoid haggling for prices if my intention to buy the item. Askinv for the final cost is more than enough.

However, when regards to bargaining of prices, my late mother was an expert. If she wanted to buy, she bargained the 50% of the price until the owner will give for a less marked up price.

12. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    I very rarely do this. To begin with, it's a bit gouche. People price their goods according to their material needs and profit margins. There's frequently little room for haggling. If I cannot afford something, I simply don't purchase it until I can.

More often than not, you are not dealing directly with producers. Most of the time you will be conducting your transactions with employees of the seller, or of the producer's outsourced distribution network. They don't typically have the authority to negotiate prices and you're putting them in a very awkward position by attempting to do so.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Although I am not too good on bargaining I try to do it every time I have the chance especially in flea markets. To my surprise my technique works most of the time. My husband is better than I am and we get better deals when he goes shopping with me.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Wherever it's possible to bargain and the opportunity may arise, I will try to get the best deal that I may. I would not probably have this opportunity in a supermarket setting because the final prices would have been applied and there wouldn't be anyone to negotiate with. However, I have gotten some very good deals from street vendors because many of them are willing to strike a deal in order to get their goods moving.

15. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    In my city there are numerous old shops where people bargain on clothes, shoes and other items. I used to bargain on clothes and shoes. Most of the times the seller would negotiate and give me a reasonable price. Haggling is prevalent in my country but after the boom of supermarkets and malls, the bargaining tendency has reduced. People buy at the fixed rate without haggling.

16. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I always bargain for the things I buy except for fixed prices like in the supermarkets which can be really annoying sometimes.

Some traders always double the amount of products hoping to find some rich buyers they can swindle. So when you don't bargain, you end up at a huge loss.

I know a couple of people that have the habit of bargaining for a product at more than three different stalls in a market just to come to a conclusion of the ideal price before they purchase it.