Do You Ever Buy Clothes You'll Hardly Ever Wear?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 22, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know people who buy clothes because they look "cool" but after donning them once or twice and their friends tell the clothes don't look good on them, they never wear them again. The money spent on those clothes would have been wasted.

When buying clothes I buy only those which I know I'll be wearing regularly, never waste money getting any that will sit around in the closet.

Just curious do you ever buy clothes because they look good, never taking into account the fact that they may be good only for certain special occasions?

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a horrible habit of doing this if it's really cheap. I'm always like, "I'll probably never wear this but it's only $2!" Now I have a closet full of clothes I'll never wear, and some that I've never even with once. I seriously need to stop because I never want to give them away either. I'm a clothes hog.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not any more. In the past I was a mess always purchasing things I knew I would not use. Now I put a whole outfit together in my mind with the new purchase before I spend any money on the item. If it looks like I will not be able to use the item often to get my money out it, I will not purchase that item.

4. Cassie Lyons

Cassie LyonsMember

Threads:
    I've purchased several outfits that were reward outfits for losing weight (bought a size or two smaller) then never wore because it was no longer my style.

5. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I have found myself into the situation of buying certain clothes, which were only for special occasions, a few times in my life. The respective situations demanded me to have a suit, and even if it was only one of about 100 dollars, I bought it and so far I have only used it one time, and probably it doesn't even fit me anymore as I've packed on more than 30 pounds of muscle mass ever since I wore it. I have also bought few shoes which I've wore less than 5 times in my life, because they were of occasions only.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to confess that I do that sometimes especially when I was promoted to a higher level with a much higher salary. Maybe it is the extra money in my pocket that gave me the impulse to buy on a fancy. Most of those classy dresses are for occasions so the probability of using it is very minimal. But when my husband caught me flat-footed with those clothes in the closet that remain unworn, I was embarrassed. Now when we go abroad, I usually buy clothes that I like but couldn't wear - as gifts for my sister or nieces. At least I fulfilled my impulse of buying.

7. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, never, I have the reverse problem. I literally have a shirt I've had for 12 years that was my favorite shirt when I bought it and still one of my favorites now. I don't buy clothes mindlessly because my sister used to and it bothered me

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I find that I wear most of the clothes that I buy. In fact, I'd say that I wear all of the clothes I buy. I'm not a big impulse buyer. Typically I'm very methodical and thorough in terms of what I buy. I'm not a big spender most of the time, so I'm careful about purchases I make. And that includes clothes.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't have the money to do impulse shopping and wearing clothes just a few times. I have an over 20 year old fancy muumuu for special occasions. My tank tops are over 10 years old too. I wish I had the money to do impulse shopping though!

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy all kinds of clothes, even those that I'm uncomfortable wearing. Why? Because it's trendy and that's what is in. However, when I got pregnant and had a baby, everything changed. My priorities shifted and money isn't as easy to come by as compared to when I was single. Since then, I would only buy clothes if necessary and I would buy clothes that can be worn everyday.

Aside from that, I had to change my style. Pregnancy has changed my body and not everything looks good on me anymore. So then, what may be in now, won't necessarily look good on my post-pregnancy body. And buying impulsively can lead to clothes that won't be worn... For a long time or even forever.

I stuck to classic styles of clothes. And nope, I don't even buy clothes at least twice a year. I just buy maybe once, and sometimes not even at all. My priorities have changed and I know that there's more important things to buy than just clothes.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - having never been an impulsive shopper and also someone who generally only ever replaces something when its absolutely necessary - meaning whether it be clothes, cars, electrical goods or whatever - items are only replaced when they are no longer doing the job they were designed to do - buying something that I would only be likely to wear a few times - is not something that I have done or am likely to do either - as to be honest - doing that wouldn't be what I would call - getting value for money.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't do that. I have always been practical when buying clothes, so I always buy only the ones that I know that I will wear repeatedly and for a long time.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm guilty of this because I like clothes that aren't appropriate for the weather here. It's very tropical here but I love jackets so I'll often buy some nice jacket designs and even some hoodies when I come across one while walking in a mall or browsing online but I know I'll only ever get to use them when I travel and to me that is enough reason to buy it but I do sometimes wish that I could use them more frequently. That's why I'm hoping to move to somewhere colder eventually.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am guilty as charged in relation to this issue. I find that I buy clothes and keep wearing some which may be more of a favourite for me and then some of the others would be sidelined and almost forgotten, therefore, I may have some items of clothing which may not have been worn for a number of years, which is really a waste of resources I must admit

15. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it has definitely happened to me several times. I needed a better shirt for a huge business meeting, so I decided to hit the shops and buy the one. I did it in a rush. Even though it fits well, I don't wanna wear it anymore as it's simply not my style and I don't feel like me with that piece of clothing on.

16. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I have got some clothes that do fit this category, such as clothing that I only tend to wear for funerals or weddings. I don't tend to wear this clothing at other times because I want them to look good for those occasions and I know I've always got something suitable for those occasions too that way.

However if I'm not sure if I'll wear something that's more every day then no, I don't spend money on it. I don't like to waste the money, or even potentially waste the money, on something I'm unsure of. I'd rather buy something I know I'll use that's a little more expensive than something I'm more than 50% sure I won't wear often.

17. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I have less than ten fancy clothes. I only wear those for special events, parties and others. But most of times these clothes are just there sitting idle in my closet. I lend my fancy clothes to friends and family member able to wear outfits the same size as me. I will not sell those clothes yet although I hardly wear them. I don't need more fancy clothes than these.

18. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I've done this a few times as a kid to save my mother more frustration of not being able to find clothes that would fit me. We have very few choices where I'm from and as a kid, I would be brought to the ladies' section by my mom hoping that she'll be able to find something that I could wear. The sizes would only come up to large.and those won't even fit me. I would just agree to what she thought looks "good" on me but on the inside, I would hate it. She never did asked why I don't wear some of the clothes she buys for me.

19. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I've done that before. I'll sometimes buy pants in a few different colours thinking they fit great so why not. What happens is the other pairs just end up sitting my closet. Either I forget about them or I really didn't need them so I don't get around to wearing them. I have bought dresses that I have only worn once. It seems every time I get invited to a wedding I feel the need to buy a new dress. I wear it once and never again. I'm thinking of bringing all those only worn once dresses to a consignment shop to sell.

20. Jasmine Inya

Jasmine InyaNew Member

Threads:
    I have this in common with you! It's such a bad habit, I agree, but it's also sort of fun. I buy clothes that I love and can't live without, even if I know that these clothes will hardly go with anything I own. My closet is the land of Rainbow Random. I have so many clothes in there that I could open a store called Rainbow Random and probably make enough money to buy a new wardrobe that at least goes together, but I am such a hoarder! What are we to do? :oops: