Do you ever get makeovers at department stores or places like Sephora, Ulta?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by pennylane • Sep 26, 2014.

1. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to but I always feel nervous about it. I'm sure those ladies/gents make commission and I'd feel pressured into buying every product. Or I might even want to buy everything anyway! :) It would be a nice treat. Maybe I'll make a plan to go on a special occasion. I like discovering new products.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have gotten them done before but you have to be careful that they don't only do part of your face and not the entire thing. You can ask beforehand if it is a full facial or just partial. It is a good way to see if your allergic to their make-up so if they pressure you too much you can say something like, 'I always go home first and make sure I do not have a reaction before making a purchase. If I do end up coming back should I give the person at the cashier your name or number?' Then the salesperson might take off the pressure and be happy to write down their ID number on a card in case you decide to come back. If the experience is a good one, who knows you might come back and they might even offer you a better discount the next time.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be one of those girls who gave makeovers on the counter, if it was quiet we would do it free, but if people made an appointment then I would charge a booking fee. I wouldn't charge if someone wanted a foundation match or skin analysis as they are specific and quick to diagnose.

When the new colors come out, some houses give their consultants targets for makeovers or consultations, even if it is just trying on a lipstick so that is the best time to have a makeover or on a weekday. There is a difference between a makeover and a make-up lesson, where the latter takes longer, that's why some charge a booking fee as it is a service. I have had some people pay the booking fee and not buy anything as well, as it was cheaper than going to a salon for a makeover.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love makeup. But for some reason, I haven't really tried this. I am afraid that the ladies will just make me look worse or older. Sometimes, my OCD kicks in, and I feel weird when I think about having those brushes they use on other people used on me. I have a friend though who loves this.

5. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't, mainly for two reasons. One, I would hate to feel pressured to buy make up I didn't necessarily like but would buy it anyway because I would feel guilty wasting their time otherwise. Two, I worry about how clean it all is. I like to use my own make-up and brushes and worry that I could get some type of weird rash or skin infection from having brushes and make-up that was used on others used on me.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't like anything put on my face where tools are involved that have previously been used on other people's faces. I don't like to face any allergic reactions. At the same time, I also am worried about being turned into a clown, as quite often I have observed how customers' faces being "badly painted" by inexperienced staff. So, no thank you.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't before but am so looking forward to doing it some day I just moved from an area where the closest Sephora (not inside JcPenney's where they don't do the makeovers) was hours away, but now there is one about 20 minutes away. For the ones at Sephora you have to make a minimum $50 purchase, so I'd be greatly annoyed if for $50 they didn't even do my whole face. I'll have to make sure that they are doing my whole face before I commit to buying $50 worth of product.