Do you ever refuse to tip when you eat out?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by lrd913 • Oct 9, 2014.

1. dinohh

dinohhNew Member

Threads:
    I only do when the waiter/tress is performing poorly.

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I refuse to tip is when the service is terrible. At times service can be terrible because of things happening behind the scenes or personal matters. I remember I had a waitress that was horrible in serving my group and no one tipped her. I left her a $100 tip in spite of all that. We were leaving and she comes out thanking us saying how sorry she was for the way she acted. Therefore, I always consider not tipping when the service is bad. Though, times like that make me rethink if tipping that person was what I came to that restaurant to do. Who knows maybe you could be that blessing onto someone who is going through some stuff.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    On a site I write for it is possible for requesters to give a "tip" to a write as well as the agreed on price - according to your logic everyone should be tipped even if they turned in a shoddy mess of plagiarized nonsense. And no - that is objectively wrong.

Now I know that tips are what most wait staff live on - however tips are supposed to be given as a result of superb or at least excellent services. They are not to be given as an obligation. Which is why I tip on a case by case bias. If service is good there is a tip, if service is wonderful there is a good tip, if service is below average there is no tip. So yeah.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Awww. That was sweet of you, especially when everybody - as well as the person who received your tip - knew that she had performed poorly that night. I bet she was dreading the moment when she gave you the bill for fear of not getting tipped, and you gave her $100. So that was nice.

Whilst I think that the above poster's mercy was nice, Esperahol, I still can agree with you. The obligation thins is the thing about this whole thing that bother me that absolute most.