Do you ever return Food to the Grocery Store if it's bad?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Nov 4, 2014.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've done it before but it depends on how cost effective that move is. Am I going to drive a few miles to get a container of half rotted berries back to the store? Probably not. I'm a huge returner of opened items. That drives me insane.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally when I purchase meat I smell the package, the packages are wrapped but you can still smell the rank meat if it is spoiled. I have gotten food that was not fresh but I did not purchase the food. It was taken right back to the store, replaced or we were given our money back.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've only had one time where I had to return an item to a store and they unfortunately refused to take it back. I had the recepit and everything, but because it was a few days later, they didn't accept it. I had bought a bottle of wine that was only $12, but I should still get a product where the cork didn't have a hole in it.

To avoid the scenario of having to return "spoiled" food, just double and triple check what you're buying before putting it in the cart. Often times, you can look through a few stacks of the meat, eggs, etc. to find the best one in 30 seconds or less.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on the item and where I bought it from. If what I bought was expensive enough and the store was close enough I'd consider it but if it were cheap I'd just consider it a wasted expense rather than spending even more on gas just to return it. I'd also consider it if I were going back anyway but most of the time if I'm buying something that costs a significant amount I tend to check it very well before paying.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried returning food to the grocery store. I am very careful and meticulous when buying foods. I checked everything from the smell, the expiration date and even read the fine prints written on the package. It takes so much of my time when I do grocery shopping but I think it's worth it.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought anything in the grocery store that is bad, but if ever I do, I will return it if the item is substantial, because the nearest mall is walking distance only away from our house. But if I bought it in a farther store, then I will just throw the item away.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have only once purchased food that was not good and of all things it was jarred baby food. I took it back right away and filed a complaint. Other than that one time I have not had to. I look at what I'm buying before I leave so maybe that could help? And where do you shop that sells spoiled foods?

8. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Well I usually just toss it away if the food I bought goes bad but that wasn't right after I bought the cucumber, it was after being in the fridge for a long time. Certain vegetable like broccoli and cucumber need to be used right away so that they don't go bad. I really don't like throwing away food myself so I make sure that the produce doesn't stay in the fridge for too long.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the time the food that we get at the grocery store isn't spoiled but we have returned it when it was bad. Giant Eagle had shrimp that tasted funny. The only thing is even though we got reimbursed I never have wanted to buy seafood there again.

10. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Oh heck yes, in fact just the other day it finally happened to me, the seal on one of my jars had been tampered with! I was about to make the OH some jam on toast for breakfast and boom! opened it up, mouldy jam! It has never happened to me in 30 years of being alive, but I took it back to the store which luckily is just five minutes down the road.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I have before and it is rice. Rice is the staple food in my country and we are very particular with rice varieties and taste. I bought this rice before in a convenient store and after cooking it we are quite suprised that it taste and smell different than what it should. We decided to return it to the store and ask for explanation. It is our right as customers.