Do you ever skimp on flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Livvy • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    By which I mean, do you ever buy the flowers that look a little beat up, or perhaps older than the ones around them in order to save a little money? Might be a bit too cheap for most people, especially if you're giving the flowers to someone you actually care about :p

Personally I never do, but I will go with Interflora who usually has deals and stuff going with the local shops

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to skimp on flowers because I think if you do it is very obvious. Not only do the flowers look a little worse but they also tend to die a bit sooner. If I am just buying flowers for myself I tend to go to Trader Joe's because they have the most reasonable prices and flowers that last in excess of a week, if I order flowers for someone I like to use small local florists.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I will never do that ever, the last thing I want is to look like a cheapskate! I will buy decent looking flowers if ever I do decide to get one for someone. What's the point of giving someone beat up flowers when you can buy the better looking ones? Besides, you will probably get criticism instead of appreciation from the recipient behind your back when you give beat up flowers.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I do appreciate it when somebody gives me flowers and all. But I did make it clear with my husband that I would appreciate it more if he would give me chocolates instead. If somebody does give me those not so pretty flowers, I would certainly appreciate them still but remind the person of my preference. Yes, I have grown bold as to telling people my sentiments. I find giving flowers a waste of resources. But that's just me.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy cut flowers at all because they die in a few days. I buy a potted flowering plant so that the recipient can enjoy it for a long time. I think cut flowers are a waste of money because they don't last long and you can't eat them, use them or wear them.

6. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    If you are going to the trouble of buying flowers for someone you care about, why in the world would you want to skimp on them? If saving money was the intent, buy a card or something else, or simply don't even bother.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, chocolates instead of flowers is a great idea. Think I might have to go with that as well come to think of it. I mean, I love flowers, and they really brighten up the place/smell lovely, but who doesn't love having a box of chocolates to scoff down on?

8. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I have always hated spending money on cut flowers. I'd much rather have a bottle of wine, personally! Chocolates are also wonderful.

We nearly didn't have any flowers at our wedding years ago because I'm such a cheapskate. My mother asked me the day before the ceremony who our florist was, and when I told her we weren't getting flowers, she had a fit. She marched me in to the nearest florist and ordered (and paid for, which was nice) the flowers herself. Y'all should have seen the florist's face when I told her when the wedding was, and that I didn't care what color or type the flowers were. Ha!