Do You Exchange Seeds With Friends?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't, you should.

When you buy seeds, regardless of how large your garden is, normally you'll buy more seeds than you need to avoid going back to the stores to buy more. So since you won't plant all the seeds, what do you do with the rest?

Chances are everyone who is into gardening has friends who also like gardening. Because a great garden should have a variety of vegetables, ask your friends to exchange their 'surplus' seeds for yours. You'll have some variety without having to spend more cash on seeds.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have shared leftover seeds with friends before. I haven't done it much because we had such trouble getting anything to grow from seed in the first place, they all got eaten.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Not with friends but with neighbors. I live near a family of agro engineers that constantly tries out new seeds - so when they find something that gives great results I'm having some asap. Last thing I got from them are some chilly pepper seeds. The yield is insane and the chilies are mean tasting. Plus, by doing this instead of just buying the seeds I make sure that the plants I grow are worth the time and work involved.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been so keen in gardening but I mom is very interested in it. I think she really enjoys it and she exchange seeds with her friend quite often. As a result I believe my mom and her friend have almost the same flowers in their gardens. It looks quite funny but also interesting.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Sometimes, I ask my friend (who is a very avid gardener) to exchange vegetable seeds with me. :) He dries heirloom seeds, so I am really excited when trades with me.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's really fun. We do this often, especially those seeds that are really well-endowed genetically, those the produces great and healthy flowers and fruits, those that have good genes. They are really worth selling, but with friends, they are really worth to share. We do this, besides, it's not one-sided. Both benefit from it.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do exchange seeds with my neighbors. This is common practice in Ghana. We also save our seeds at each harvest and exchange them with each other. It is a good way to share with others without taking much out of your pocket to do so. To me, giving seeds is the one of the greatest gifts you can give.