Do You Fall Victim To Perceived Obsolescence?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Belovedad • Dec 23, 2016.

1. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    This is when a producer gives its customers the impression that they need to move on to a new device even though their current version is still functional and worthy to use. A popular company that does this and the most obvious is Apple where they have been releasing new devices and a rapid rate. Do you fall victim to this and keep spending money on newer things to keep up with trends?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    No. I simply don't take the bait. I keep running on what is comfortable for me unless I see an obvious need to accept the change.

Not only Apple but practically all active apps, antivirus, OS etc are into this habit. To be honest, newer versions of many such apps are actually worse and more glitchier than the preceding ones.

I try to save myself the headache my sticking to what is okay for me and first checking out user reviews for newer upgrades.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to electronic items, you can call me a wise guy. I bought my present desktop in 2009 and until now it is running on Windows XP. My plan to replace it is a laptop hence it is taking time since the laptop is expensive here. But I'm also looking at the operating system which is most likely Windows 10. And for more obsolete items, I'm still using my old Nokia for texting purposes since it is not a smart phone.

4. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I never bought an Apple device even though they are good. First is the price, it is not reasonable for me to buy a phone that almost costs like a laptop. Second is they always have updates which is a bit bad for me since Apple devices do not have SD slots. And last, I still prefer an android device with a bigger screen.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I notice most of the Washing Machines I purchased gets broken after 5 years. Let's say I pay some money to repair them. Guess what? After repairs, I will be lucky if it will last for 3 more years. The rotating knobs for speed, level and timer adjustments got brittle. I heard more expensive washing machines can last longer but I am too broke to afford them.

I haven't purchased a new computer but I replace a part every 3 years because Motherboards and processors have a planned obsolescence.