Do You Feed The Birds?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 10, 2015.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well to be fair, he did it on a schedule.. they were essentially his adopted pets, he fed them so often. Hundreds of birds would flock to his house right when the sun came up and as it was going down.. a few times in between if he had anything lol. Seagulls. UGH!! I never want to hear one again for as long as I live lol. And crows and squirrels and and and and and and. He loved ticking us off for some reason lol. The street was disgusting, the roofs had to be replaced more often than they should have been. The cars were wrecked because it was a tree lined street.. you couldn't park without being under a tree full of birds. It cost us all SO much to put up with him, yet nothing could be done.

And I take back the "it's not a smart things to do" comment... HE wasn't smart lol (I hate that we can't edit here after a certain point, so I apologize to anyone reading this who feels I called them stupid lol). But I do beg people to be careful.. the birds down at the lake that get frozen into the water over night is heart breaking. They should be migrating, but they're here. They don't need our scraps.

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that's a good reason if there ever was one. I live in the country and have for most of my life, so that's not really an issue for me. And, like Denis Hard, I find the birds eating alongside of my chickens quite often.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love feeding the birds. Whenever I have a spare time, I go to a nearby park to feed the birds. They are fun to watch with and quite a stress reliever for me. I make it a point to put the bread crumbs near me or near my feet so I could take a closer look at them to take some pictures.

4. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I'm moving out to a place that has a lot of woods and is near a big park. I probably will start throwing out our old bread into the woods. I like helping where and when I can, whether I'm helping animals or people makes no difference to me. I already save coupons for people (including a Navy base overseas) and pop can tabs for our local Ronald McDonald house. So, this is yet another way to help.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There aren't that many birds out in rural areas?? I thought that there were birds everywhere - the universal staying awake until early in the morning, and the bird tweeting letting you know what time it actually was lol.

I have to say that I do miss feeding the birds. Well, not feeding them per se. But watching them enjoy the food that you put out for them.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, no! There are tons of birds where I live.:)
    I was replying to your post where you said your mother said she quit encouraging the feeding of birds because of the mess they leave. I meant that the mess is not an issue in the country so much as it might be in town or in a nice subdivision, etc.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a dog that eats whatever we throw on the ground, and he is free to roam on the backyard, so birds are not at ease in hanging out in the yard anymore. When we did not have the dog, the birds can just hang out in our backyard and eat the rice that I throw outside.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Our little dogs are like that, too. Sometimes we even find them in the chicken coop eating the laying mash of all things. The little sneaks. Plus we have cats. In order to feed the birds I generally do have to throw the bread crusts (or whatever) up onto the roof overhang on my barn porch. It's the only place that nothing else can reach. Other than squirrels, that is.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you have chickens too? We used to have them as well, but when the eggs that my dad gets dwindled, he gave the chickens away to his sibling in the province. When the chickens were free, they like to eat the poo of our cats, but they snub the poo of our dogs. I guess they taste something "delicious" in our cat's poo. Like they are just right behind our pooping cat and pecking on the poop as it falls.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    lol...I doubt our chickens ever peck at our cat's poop. They are too busy scattering the horse poop.

Chickens are not particularly clean creatures. I think what they are usually looking for is bits of undigested grains and fly larvae, although they will definitely eat meats and any other thing they can get--even if it comes from other chickens.

A lot of people would probably pass on chicken at the dinner table if they really knew what they were like. Of course, the same people would not like catfish or shrimp either.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, so in your case they snub the cat's poop and are focused on the horse's poop. That is one large "meal" for them, lol. They do prefer slurpee-like poop rather than hard poop since soft poop is easy to peck. And yeah, they aren't clean at all if you compare them to cats, but they get disinfected anyway as soon as they're cooked, so they now are appetizing. :D Even their liver tastes good. :D

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yep. Everything changes when it hits the frying pan. And chicken livers are the only livers I'm really fond of. They really are very good. All other livers I simply tolerate.