Do You Feel Guilty When You Don't Save?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Feb 12, 2016.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The other day I threw out a foil tray I used once and by the middle of the day I needed to reheat something and thought of the foil I threw out and how I could have reused it. At this point I became aware of how much saving has become ingrained into my mental process, and I actually started to feel guilty that I wasted a big pad of foil even though it really isn't that big of a deal. As I calculated how much the whole roll costs and how much of it I just threw out, I had to stop myself and be reminded that I shouldn't stress about these things too much.

Do you feel guilty when you don't get to save? Any instances you can remember and share?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned to start reusing and repurposing everything that I can. It just makes good sense and is a great way to save money. As a for instance, I had a ton of plastic grocery bags sitting under my kitchen sink that I have saved from shopping trips and then ran out of garbage bags. I ended up using the plastic bags for trash for about 2 weeks and got rid of them, and saved money by not purchasing garbage bags. Anything that helps save money is a good thing.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes feel guilty but not to the point that I get too worked up about it. I just tell myself I will be better about it the next time. I reuse the plastic grocery bags too or I will recycle them. I try to reuse a lot of things around the house like soup cans for pencil holders for the kids or shoe boxes for storage for little toys. It beats going to buy something new and helps save money but not doing that. I am gradually getting it to be a habit to think about what else I can use something for before I throw it out or put in the recycle.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before I throw something out I often try to find out if there's a way it can be "salvaged."

If something is broken and it could be "fixed" I'd simply keep it somewhere [out of sight] for a while and when I have some free time I'll try to "fix" it. I never throw away anything unless I'm 100% sure I can't find some way to use it.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be like that. When a dish was spoiled due to negligence, I would feel like I lost a million. But I have learned to take in stride because there are times that we commit mistakes as to lose like dropping a glass or breaking a plate. What's important to me now is the happiness that I get in life and not the negatives which are only material things that we can afford to lose.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not exactly frugal, but I'm far from wasteful. Where possible, I'm always looking to recycle stuff like foil and ziploc sandwich bags to really get my money's worth from them. I do this because otherwise I do feel bad. The same goes for saving money; I try to put something in my savings account every month, no matter how small.

Early 2015 was a very scary situation for us, when money was very tight and there were no jobs in sight. We'd only set up our business and were only then scouting for clients. We were literally scratching the bottom of the barrel. I don't ever want to be there again, I get nightmares just thinking about it.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do feel a bit wasteful when I don't save. I'm a bit frugal when it comes to using garbage bags. I'm always stuffing things down so that you put more garbage in the bag before you take it outside when it's full. My husband will make fun of me but I feel like I'm wasting a perfectly good bag if you throw it out and it's only half full. I will go so far as line our kitchen garbage can with a store plastic bag if I know it's the day before garbage day and we'll only make a small amount of garbage rather than waste a full kitchen catcher. I know garbage bags only cost pennies but I feel like it adds up each week and then over the course of a year you've literally thrown money away.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate not being someone who is able to save money... Now that me and my fiancée are saving money to get married I'm trying not my best to save as much as possible but it's been so hard, I'm one of those people that craves to spend all money if I have it, and I need desperately to learn to save more.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always feel guilty if I end up throwing something away that I could've saved and reused. I used to use shopping bags us garbage bags instead of buying them, but they now charge for shopping bags here and it seems too wasteful to me to even use them as garbage bags when I had to pay for them. It seems like a waste of money to buy bags just to put in the bin generally. I now tend to use toilet paper packaging as bin liners for smaller bins as they'd only get thrown out otherwise.

I try to reuse everything I can generally. Egg cartons as jewelry holders, cans as pencil holders, worn out socks as dog toys... If it can be reused I generally find a way to reuse it. But I still end up feeling bad if I do have to throw something away, then need it later.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really throw out things that much unless I have no use for them already in the future, but I always try to repair any broken slippers/shoes/sandals that I have by putting super glue on them so that they can still be used. I'm not a fan of buying footwear too often.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't feel guilty but I do try to make things last when ever possible. The price of goods and commodities are so expensive these days that it is just smart to try to make things last as long as possible. I get mad at the cat because he refuses to eat food that is near the bottom of the bag or box..He needs to get with the program!! lol.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times when I do feel guilty about the way I spend my money. I have an okay monthly salary and I know for a fact that if I just put my heart into it, I could save more. However, I end up pampering myself all too often. I buy concert tickets, dresses I don't really need or eat out a lot. These bad spending habits obviously place a dent on my pocket and make me feel guilty that I didn't do my best to save at least half of my salary for more worthwhile endeavors.

13. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I feel guilty, but I know it'll make me more aware for next time. My kids used to make fun of me because I would reuse plastic sandwich baggies. They don't make fun of me anymore because they see how cost effective it is. Besides, why would I throw out a sandwich baggie because it had a few breadcrumbs in the bag, or it held some carrot and celery sticks or ranch dressing. That's just wasteful to me, and I keep those savings in my bank account.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this a lot too, even when the sandwich bags are cheap. I don't know why but I just feel bad whenever I throw out a plastic bag when I've only used it slightly. I think this type of behavior or practice can become overboard or even impractical at smoke point or on some other items but when it comes to things like sandwich bags or foil where it seems like you could probably get at least two uses out of them then I think it's alright to consider even if the savings don't really amount to that much at present because they do add up in the long run.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I try to save as much as I can by reusing items. It can save me a bit of change. However, I don't make it a big deal I sometimes forget to recycle, because I know that after a while the practice may become perfect.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to feel guilty about such things, but now I try not to stress over it. I'm pretty careful anyway, but there will always be times when things like this happen. If I saved everything, I would become a hoarder, and that would not be good either.

My husband already thinks I save too much stuff, and I have to admit that I save a lot. I do reuse it though. I do a lot of upcycling and such, so I have a purpose in mind when I save something that other people see as trash. I just have to purge often to avoid getting over-cluttered.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't often re use plastic sandwich bags because I don't use a lot of them to begin with, and I buy the cheap ones. I would however re use the large freezer bags since they cost more, and also I have found myself re using aluminium foil. If it is not dirty or greasy...why not? Aluminum foil is not cheap these days either. I also do reuse plastic plates and plastic forks etc.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes, but then at other times I just think that life is far too short to be thinking in this way, and you have to just do the best that you can and stop worrying about the times when you might not be able to save as much as you would like to. It is much better than worrying, as you would then be spending precious time worrying that you could spend doing something more enjoyable with your life - so you should certainly try your best to save, but don't be too hard on yourself if you don't always manage to.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Saving money from a paycheck would be the biggest regret for me. There were times when I had earned a lot of money but I spent most of it carelessly on food when I could have saved it for later investment. However, at the time I didn't know as much about business as I do now. I think that's a legit excuse.