Do you feel safe buying second hand items online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by SpYkz • Sep 4, 2012.

1. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    I buy quite a bit of second hand stuff online. Here in South Africa we have a site called bidorbuy - Bid, Buy or Sell cameras, computers, diamonds, coins, cars & more on auction at cheap prices which is quite similar to eBay. I make sure that I check the sellers rating and how long he has been selling. I also make sure about the condition of the item and look for warranties and invoices if possible. Yet I never feel 100% sure because I have not seen the item and it's second hand.

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problems when it comes to buying second hand items online. I actually like second hand items because they are cheaper yet the performance is still the same. All you have to do is to deal with some scratches and of coarse the though that it is a second hand item. Other than that, I feel completely fine with it.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it really depends on the particular item. I have had a few bad experiences before so I do tend to shy away from doing it. If I can check out a seller's rating and it is good, I feel a lot better about buying something from them. I also check out the return policies much closer now. A lot of the items are sold "as is" so I do take that into account now before purchasing a second hand item.

4. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    While I will buy second hand merchandise, I usually don't online. I actually like to inspect and hold the product in question. There are two many scam artist out there. People fall prey to them everyday, I choose not to be one of them.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I have been buying second hand equipments since time. I think its alright if you are like me, that will repair things and sell again. I use to buy defective laptops and some computer devices so that I will repair and then sell again. Second hand computers are cheaper too :D

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I have a little experience in this regard, but I always had good results. The important thing here is to always buy a place that ensure quality. An online store we offer quality products (beyond that are used) is the key to success. Of course, we have to implement a dynamic process of trial and error. Thus, starting to buy low value products, we will gain the confidence we need to invest a little more money in these businesses. The seller confidence and experience, are important details. :D

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do it fairly regularly, too. I know the risks and sure, it's not always like what I expect.... but I'm not paying full price either. If I'm getting a really good deal, I don't mind that coming with a bit of a risk. It usually turns out great, so that encourages me to do it even more often.

8. murbiz

murbizNew Member

Threads:
    I never used to feel safe buying second hand items online until the emergence of ebay and craigslist.The best part about these sites is that most sellers are top rated and most products that are on sale have pictures to go with them.

Also most second hand products have a money back guarantee meaning that if you do not like a particular item you can always return it and you will get what you paid for back.

With the competitive nature of online marketing nowadays,its only a matter of time before there are hundreds of similar sites that will make buyers more comfortable buying second hand items online.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any second hand items online because I have a fear it won't work. I've seen some good deals online for used electronics, but I just can't trust people that the item is going to be in good condition. It's so easy to pull one over on the seller if you put in the description as is no returns. This is a way to sidestep the law of returns, I've seen all kinds of people use that line on eBay and Craigslist. If the item doesn't work they can use that as an excuse.

10. courtney1985

courtney1985New Member

Threads:
    It is nice to know there is a site like that for you to use. It really sounds a lot like Ebay which is what we do the same thing with here in the United States. I am quite certain you have heard about it before. If not, it is basically the same thing. We can buy new or used things just like what you mention. We can also read the reviews and check their history with other buyers. It is quite a nice feature.

I personally only buy certain items used. I prefer to have new items but when it comes to things like decorations for my home. I will definitely take something used and pretty to save me some cash. Even if there is one scratch on it I am not worried. New items can be scratched just like used items. So no big deal to me. However, if the new item is triple or even double the cost of the used item I am looking for, you know which one I am going to get. I am sure everyone else would say the same thing, the used one.

Second hand clothes are also something I am not afraid of buying. I mean why should I pay $80.00 for a pair of jeans that I can find with the tags still on them at a second hand clothing shop. The deals are amazing. I will always be a fan of buying second hand clothes. I highly suggest you check these shops out in your town. You never know what you will find.

11. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I had a quick look, and it really does seem quite similar to eBay. I buy second hand items off of eBay all the time. The only thing I may be hesitant to buy second hand would be undergarments (underwear, boxers, etc)...everything else is fair game!

12. CinnamonBear

CinnamonBearNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item. I buy a lot of things on eBay--particularly books and DVDs. However, when it comes to clothing, shoes or electronic equipment, I'm a bit more cautious.

The problem with buying electronics online is that you usually don't get a warranty if you buy them used. As for clothes and shoes, condition and fit are everything, and if the dealer's description is less than forthright--or if the item doesn't fit you--you often can't get your money back and you're stuck with something unwearable.

Used DVDs, CDs and books, however, are usually a safe bet.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends on what it is. I'll make sure to have a look at all the details before buying.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the type of item I am buying. I have no problem buying second hand clothes if they are worn once or twice tops and electronics, but I don't like buying personal care items or shoes second hand. I don't buy half bottle of perfume and stuff like that. It creeps me out.

15. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    The only second hand items I have purchased online are used textbooks and a few handbags. I browse eBay quite often, but I have never purchased from this site. I do enjoy buying second hand items from my local thrift store.

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my fair share of bad experiences regarding buying second hand items until I finally learned my lesson and stopped buying second hand items online. I know that you can still find some second hand pearls that looks brand new but most of the time you will get an item that is pretty much defective. Not to mention that there is a big chance that you won't get your money back because you made an online transaction.

17. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    This is how I feel. I know that there regulations in place to protect the buyer, but I really don't feel comfortable purchasing a second hand item that I have not been able to personally hold and examine.

18. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    We have a similar website in my country too. I bought small items that won't be such a loss if they report badly. But for higher values, I just use the website to search products in my town, than contact the seller and meet. It's better when you see the product in your hands before buying.

19. Gailius

GailiusNew Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid buying second hand items online unless there's a guarantee that I will get my money back if the item doesn't work. You never know what the condition of the item is unless you see it from up close. But if a refund is guaranteed in case the item doesn't do it's intended function, then sure, why not? But since my financial situation is pretty good I usually buy stuff first-hand.

20. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on the type of item I am purchasing. I do purchase a lot from ebay but I will only purchase electronics from sellers with good ratings and a return policy.

I purchase most of my childrens name brand clothes from Facebook buy/sell/trade groups, from ebay and another forum that I frequent and I have not had any problems yet.

As long as you are paying correctly with PayPal you don`t have anything to worry about because they have great buyer protection plans.