Do you feel safe buying second hand items online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by SpYkz • Sep 4, 2012.

1. nav0413

nav0413Member

Threads:
    i agree it depends on the item you buy, for me i think some second hand items it is easy to get damage.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol, you've been watching too many episodes of Tales from the Darkside and the 1980's TV series Friday the 13th about the vault of cursed objects. I've sold a Gwen Stefani doll on eBay. No curse there, though No Doubt did have their last video yanked off the air because Native Americans thought it was racist.

3. EBcs

EBcsNew Member

Threads:
    I never buy used things,but this code usually right !
    I personally suggestion, mobile phone and other precision electric,can not buy !
    But used car exception !

4. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I would feel most comfortable buying second hand books, and second hand electronics, but, of course, it would be important for me to check the seller's rating like on ebay, for example, to decide if I should buy it or not. But as it relates to most items, I don't have a problem buying second hand items online.

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used books and textbooks online. That is about it. However, I buy used clothing and home decor all the time. I make sure to look for rips and stains though. It is so much cheaper. There are a few things I will never buy used and they are mattresses, bedding, and swimsuits. Yuck!

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I do prefer spending the extra buck to get my things brand new, but when it's things that ain't that valuable, i don't mind choosing something second handed. You just have to be careful from who you buy and if he has good reputation.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It really does depend on what we're discussing...honestly I don't so much have a problem getting some things second hand, from people I know or reputable sources...but there is a lot to wonder about random sellers online.

8. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, buying 2nd hand items has become pretty common. We also have similar sites as yours and people often post their advertisements on that site. However, most of the time, we choose to do meet-ups instead of paying the seller online and receiving the goods via shipping methods. I think that we are still not yet ready to trust each other (seller and buyer).

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with buying 2nd hand stuff online as long as there is protection. Sort of like a guarantee. This is why I love to use paypal since it would allow you to do a "refund" if in case the seller did not meet your expectations. :)

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I would be quite leary buying second hand items on line, especially if it was more than a nominal price. I am not adverse to buying used items in person, since I can test them, view them and determine if they are worth the price in the condition offered.

10. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I have never bought used stuff online, but I have sold a commode and I was impressed how easy it was, I don't know if I was offering a low price or if it was just luck, but it didn't last 2 days online.

11. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Maybe there are a lot of people that look for that stuff? But yeah, you're just a little bit lucky. Haha. I sold my phone online before and it took me 3 days to find a buyer. But then it was a meet-up. XD

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    If you are buying an electronic device, at least you can see the picture and will know if the product looks new or it is old. I think it will never feel safe but what can you do if you really want a product? I think for the same reason, you just have to get faith that the product delivered will be what you wanted.

13. sn1

sn1New Member

Threads:
    I always make sure i do a background check with the seller to ensure that he is legitimate, and a bonus for me that would really make me trust the seller is when they're a top rated seller. i only buy used products from two websites, ebay and amazon.

14. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the second hand item is and the condition it's in. I won't buy a second hand item if there is no image showing wear and tear or the lack of it. For instance, I have a penchant for old tech gadgets like Palm organizers, and sometimes I'll come across sellers who are offering a PDA but only post a generic image that everyone else has used. I have no faith in that at all. I want to see your specific item, and if I don't see it, either you can't upload a picture or you don't want to, and that means you might not have really tested the gadget either.

As far as any multimedia like compact discs, I don't really like to buy those online, they could have one big scratch and be useless. Now, if it's second hand furniture or appliances, I don't see a problem with that, because you often have to go pick it up yourself, and you can check it out then, unless they deliver it, but those are more durable items that have less chance of being damaged in such a way that they aren't worth what they're being sold for.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Because of a few dodgy people on Ebay I have completely lost faith in people who sell secondhand goods online. The last occasion was when I bought a washing machine and a tumble dryer from a seller on Ebay, they delivered them for me, the tumble dryer lasted three days before it caught fire and when I got the washing machine plumbed in I discovered there were bits missing from the machine that stopped it running and the door didn't lock.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already experienced a number of problems when I purchased a new and original item online. That was more than traumatic for me (I unfortunately had to change sizes twice) and the online store still couldn't get it right. Now for a second-hand item purchase, I'd be more concerned about how it'd look like upon receipt. It might not live up to my expectations, so I don't want to be disappointed.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a lot of trust issues when it comes to second hand items, so it's only amplified when I'm buying it online and not being able to see the seller or have not much means to go after them should my product turn out faulty or in bad condition. Even with pictures posted of the product it's impossible to know what underlying conditions the product might have or how long the lifespan of it is left. I'd only consider it if the item were hard to find and could only be seen online but otherwise I'd much rather just buy brand new.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying secondhand items online for the first time, it's normal to have some doubts that maybe the person on the other side might send you something which is only good enough for tossing out.

But keep it in mind that most sellers on Ebay and other places aren't in for just one sale then disappear.

That's what they do — sell used items. If you choose to buy from someone who's been selling stuff for a long time, then I'm sure you'd be safe buying whatever it is you want from such a person. They care about their ratings and would therefore ensure that they're are selling only high-quality products that will get them good ratings all the time.

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought used books online frequently and haven't had a problem with that, mostly textbooks. Now recently I bought a used fiction book and it smelled kind of moldy which kind of annoyed me I'll remember to buy new next time. I did buy a used phone on ebay once and that didn't work out because it wasn't working right. I just sent it back. I don't think I would ever buy used clothing online but I had a relative who did a few times on ebay and she liked what she received and had no issues.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a brilliant question, and a brilliant thread :)

Anyway, I am not someone who likes second hand stuff, and I really wish that I did because some of the things in second hand stores are great, and they are cheap which makes it even better. But that still doesn't negate the fact that the items are second hand to begin with. I don't like knowing that someone else's energy went into the product. Anything could have happened to the item, as far as the conditions that it may have been in whilst with the person who is trying to sell it, second hand. If I don't buy second hand stuff in person, I sure as hell am not going to do it online.