Do you feel safe buying second hand items online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by SpYkz • Sep 4, 2012.

1. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought anything secondhand online. I don't think I would want to, especially for clothes. But I would consider if it's electronics. I think it's different from refurbished items in a way, but I am not sure.

Secondhand items that I have bought were designer fashion, which many of my friends were doing in college. ;) They sold their secondhand designer items during garage sells and bazaar. Secondhand stores were pretty common, targeting students and fashionable young adults. I did buy like a gazillion secondhand shoes for theater classes. Based on my shopping experiences online, there is no niche market for secondhand fashion items, so I can't really tell if it's something worth picking up as a shopping habit. But for vintage there is quite a following.

#61Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    a purely secondhand device is not the same as a refurbished one, a refurbished device is when fixtures have been done to the device while with the secondhand device it is just used and put for sale, I've bought a secondhand device only before and it gave me great service, what you should do before buying a secondhand device is to look at the description thoroughly and also at the pictures, by doing this you'll get a deep understanding of what you're gonna be buying and getting. Also look for little things like warranty, return policy and how to get a refund, but generally, shopping for a secondhand device is a good way to save on some money.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm pretty comfortable buying "second hand" items online. For example, when I lost my Iphone a couple of years ago, I went online and bought a new one. It was lightly used. The person selling it had good reviews, so I bought it. It was in great shape when I received it, and I never had any problems. So just be sure to make sure you are buying from a reputable seller and you should be fine.

4. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I only buy second hand books online. I do not buy any personal items or electronic stuff as I find them to be risky of re-used.

5. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    In some countries, there are local internet sites that cater to publishing and selling secondhand items online. The seller and the buyer interact directly and independently from the site, and they make their transactions face to face.

The products vary from clothes, to construction tools, gadgets, household appliances, even automobiles. I try not to buy the first 3 items, but I have had several purchases online for a used two-door refrigerator with freezer and secondhand cars. What I do is check out the pictures, call the owner and ask for more information that he/she might have not placed together with the advertisement (When was it bought? Was it brand new when he/she acquired it?). If the answers sound good, then I make a trip to where the owner is willing to meet up for the transaction.

If it's a car that I'm buying, we test drive it first. The license and our own car are left with the seller, and we come back for it. Payment to the owner is made when we are satisfied with the product.

It is definitely safe to buy second hand items online as long as you double-check every aspect of the product.

6. helena

helenaNew Member

Threads:
    Buying secondhand doesn't weird me out. The value is usually too good to pass up. I've had some good luck shopping on KRRB at krrb.com. It's easy to use and people seem friendly enough.

7. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm buying through eBay or something then I feel pretty safe because I know I have their Buyer Protection program on my side and I'll always be fully refunded if there was a problem with the item and it wasn't like the seller said it was or something... not sure I'd feel entirely comfortable buying something off of a stranger on Craigslist or Gumtree though, I'd rather have some kind of protection in place for myself!

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Anything electronic related is fair game for me. If you are talking about clothes are underwear in particular. Then I would question why you would want something like that second hand in the first place. Electronics from second hand can give you a great deal compared to trying to buy brand new.

9. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    It depends on the site, honestly. Sites like eBay, I am very cautious of because they are notorious for scammers and faux items. I do trust sites such as Poshmark, where people can sell their clothes, jewelry, and bags, because they have a protection policy, so you can easily get your money back if the item you received is a fake or is not the same as how it was described. The general rule of thumb when it comes to online shopping is that if it sounds too good to be true, it is!
    I always do my research before buying an expensive second-hand item online. I ask the seller various thorough questions, to post distinct pictures so that I know it is there's(many sellers post pictures of items they don't even own!) and I do my research on the item so that I can tell the difference between a fake and an authentic.

10. RobertCMcElveen

RobertCMcElveenNew Member

Threads:
    No, I never feel safe while buying a second hand item, that is also a reason I always keep an eye over hot deal on sites. I only pick items with good deals. I prefer to buy new items always.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be dead set against it, but over time I've learnt a few ways of spotting a scam a mile away. Of course it doesn't matter how cautious you are, you can still get duped anyway. But I think it's like anything really, you just have to do your research and take the necessary steps to protect yourself. Of course you also have to take a leap of faith. I have bought quite a lot of electronic gadgets including a second hand MacBook Pro and phones.

12. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends. Foe example as someone has said, movies and video games I've bought used. Also books and I've gone to thrift stores for Halloween costumes (we usually DIY them and sometimes thrift stores seem to always have what we need). But, when it comes to electronics, that's where I'm a little more careful. My laptop was giving me problems and my partner insisted it was a battery thing. He bought a refurbished battery online and after a bit the problem started again. I always wondered if maybe it was that the battery died after buying it. =o/

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of used items online. Especially clothes. You'll never see someone wearing the same thing I am lol, I go for hard to find. As you do, I check the rating, but I don't go much further than that.. you never know either way. I know my measurements and hope for the best. If not, they can be repurposed, so either way, it was worth the buy for me.

14. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    I purchase old books, as long as they're in great condition. I cherish perusing and gathering books in any type that are great peruses. Purchasing new books is truly costly sometimes, furthermore less and less individuals are purchasing them due to ebooks and the web so I discover it truly energizing in the event that I can discover second hand books that are available to be purchased and at a less expensive cost.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do buy a few used items online, but in general, I stick to thrift stores and second-hand electronics stores, where the goods come with a 6 month store warranty. I worry too much that something would go wrong with the item, so I don't buy second-hand elecronics online.

16. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I definitely trust most online buyers to buy second hand stuff from, but there are certain things that I obviously wouldn't buy second hand, like underwear and socks and stuff like that. I'm even a little weary of buying shoes that have been worn by others before, just in case they have some sort of fungus or something like that in them. And even if I am going to buy something second hand like that online, they have to have pictures of everything about it and an explanation of anything that might be wrong with it for me to even consider purchasing it.