Do you fix your clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you mend you shirts or patch your pants when they get damaged or ripped, keep using them anyway or stop wearing them completely?
    I just fix them if it's someting very noticeable, otherwise I just don't bother and keep wearing them.

2. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I usually do the same, depending on what the clothing is. If it is something so old that I might as well just replace it, then I will probably just toss it and buy something to replace it. But, for many clothes that are still usable I will patch them up for smaller fixes and use them again. What is different though is that I won't use them at work (where I have to look professional) or in other places where such attire would be frowned upon. I will use them around the house, though, as well as while doing yard work or when doing wood and metal work.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have 2 types of clothes categories - clothes for home and clothes to go out. The one for clothes are usually these ones with the rips and missing pieces, but if its like a missing button, I would gladly just sew it back on and wear it out doors. Other than that, yes I still wear them unless of course I can't wear them at all. i also recycle my clothes, if the jeans are ripped beyond recognition, I can make some night shorts. :)

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't. Funny for me, even if there is already a visible damage, I still use them until they reveal what shouldn't be revealed. I keep on using them until they expose my sensitive parts, to the point in which they are not really usable anymore and that they really don't serve their function.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It kind of depends on how expensive the piece of clothing was. If it a really nice pair of slacks or a really nice dress shirt, I'll try and find a way to repair the damage. But if it's just some random T-Shirt or cheap pair of basketball shorts, then i'll just throw them away and buy a new pair. I don't have a lot of extra time to spend repairing damaged clothing so I make a judgement call to whether or not it's worth my time to do so or not.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the piece of clothing and the type of repair it needs. I always take mt clothes to the tailor if there is a missing button, a zipper breaks or there is a tear along the seam of an expensive piece of clothing. If it's something minor like a small hole or a tear along the seam of clothes I only wear in my apartment I tend to just wear it until the tear or hole becomes so large it's time to toss it. If nobody sees me I don't care too much about it.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live with someone who's good at needlework. Much as she doesn't stay with me all the time, if my clothes have tears or stuff like that, all I do is place them somewhere and wait for the time when she comes to stay with me for a little while and then she'll do the repairs for me.

So technically, much as I don't fix my own clothes, I get them fixed at home which is pretty much the same thing because I don't spend money on the repairs.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I have the same categories, some things are either just too damaged or simply too tacky to wear outside :)
    Depending on the damage that's done to the clothes, and if it's not something that's not fit for "around the house" like jeans or a jacket, I'll "demote" the clothes from outside wearing to strictly inside :)

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always the "handyman" in the house when it comes to mending clothes (sew patches/buttons/etc., replace zippers/garters,etc.). But when it comes to my clothes, I only fix my favorite clothes and wear them until the "fixed" part is still unnoticeable. As for my other clothes, I just stop wearing them. :D

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I tend try to repair my clothing as much a possible. Until they get to the point when the damage becomes out of control. Where the place I just stitched up re-rips and I'm afraid that I'll indecently expose myself in public the next time I wear them. But I'm really a homebody, so mostly I'm wearing the torn stuff at home anyways. I had a neighbor once offer to repair a pair of ripped jeans I had. But I didn't want her to see how badly they were ripped, so I ended up tossing them.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on how much I like the piece of clothing. If it's one of my favorites, I will do as much as I can to repair the item. I have some basic sewing skills. If I'm not fond on the piece of clothing, I will repair it if it's an easy fix. If not, in the trash in goes.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    If I know how to fix, I really try to do it myself first. Repairs are quite expensive. Usually, if it's just a small hole or a simple rip, I can just do it easily. However, if the problem is a little bit more serious, such as fades in color and things like that, I would end up not really using them anymore or at least just using it as home clothes if it's appropriate to be worn at home.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do! Unless a garment is seriously damaged, then I just do simple repairs like tacking on new buttons, sewing split hems, etc.

At the point that it's falling apart, I'll throw it out, but not before then.

14. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    Like jewel777. I do fix my clothes but it depends on whether it is worth or not. I do well in fixing. Each trousers I bought is longer than me so I change them to my size. If one shirt is my favorite and has used several years, I do a small change with it,such as from long sleeve to short sleeve. It is interesting, I think.

15. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same. I don't stop wearing my clothes if the damage is not noticeable. If I can fix them then I definitely will fix them on my own. But if there is a big damage to fix then I'd rather stop wearing them and buy a new one.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only fix clothes immediately when it's one of my "outside clothes", like if a button is loose or a hem needs fixing, and I need to wear them immediately. But if it's only one of my "house clothes", then I don't think I will fix them immediately, only when I feel like it.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with this too! I have a set of clothes that are just for lounging around at home or doing projects at home. These are usually stained with holes but comfortable. Then there is a set of clothes that I wear outside the home. They are not stained and not so beat up. I find this is much easier dealing with my wardrobe.

18. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not bad with the needle so if my clothes get some small holes or other fixable defects I start working on them. I've even managed to do some harder stuff like shortening pants or jackets ;) Shoes I also fix. If the defect is manageable a little glue is all it takes. Even knowing that I'd continue using the clothes as 'house wear' if I didn't fix them, mending has saved me good money across the years.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do usually sew some busted seams if they are hidden enough that my horrible stitching won't be noticed, and fortunately, they are often at places that are not in plain sight so I'm able to repair my clothes and prevent them from further damage. This way, I get to enjoy the clothes for a few more wears before it gives out and sometimes my minor fixes are even enough for my clothes to last indefinitely. That's all I'm able to do, though, as I don't really have much more knowledge at sewing to make patches or other similar fixes.

20. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I wear my clothes until they're falling apart honestly. A lot of my stuff used to be hand me downs as well-I think I might even have some in my wardrobe still but I'm not sure-but I know that I've worn a lot of my jeans for so long that they've just ended up ripping at the crotch/bum. Which is a pain since they were really nice jeans and they always rip when I'm on a night out somewhere!