Do you fix your clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • Jun 5, 2014.

1. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    My mom does that for me. I've never damaged my clothes, I give them to my mom when they are too tight or too loose. I change my clothes when they get worn out.

2. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    Oh, yes, I most certainly do! If a seam comes loose, it is a very easy fix. Last year during school, my daughter decided to punch a hole in her uniform skirt, then continued to outline the hole in blue ink. Not easy to get out. We just recently went through her uniforms to see what she can fit into for this coming school year and that skirt was one of the items that still fit her. I patched it up. Yes, there's a little seam showing where I patched it up, but as she moves no one will notice it. It just looks like a wrinkle. She will grow out of it within a few months anyways so no need to buy her a new one, just patch up the old one. I do that to my shirts as well, but since I'm not a child, I don't grow out of my clothes so if it looks really bad or is a place where it's very noticeable, I might just get rid of the item and buy something new, especially if I've had it for a really long time.

3. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    It really depends. If it's something like seam or button on something that is good quality and I really like- then yes, of course I will fix it. Also, sometimes even when something is good, I get tired of it, and then just change it a bit (jeans into skirt, things like that). However, sometimes I need to buy a lot of things, and I buy some relatively cheap ones, so they aren't the best quality. So when something happens to them, they aren't always in a condition to be salvaged at all.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I fix my own clothes at home. I can reattach buttons and stitch up small tears, but for bigger problems, I take them to a woman nearby who has got a sowing machine. Usually when my clothes need her expert help, they tend to be beyond ordinary fixing. But this lady is very creative and often turns my clothes into something totally new by cutting of the sleeves or stitching some interesting material over a problem area.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    So if you tear your pants a bit for example, you just toss them out? Or would your mom fix that as well?
    It seems a bit wasteful if you just throw it out...

6. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I fix my clothes and always have. I grew up poor, even though I have money now I am a penny pincher and do not like spending a lot of money. I can easily sew small tears here and there. If it is a worn sport or something in my jeans, you can easily patch it so it isn't noticeable. For larger worn spots or tears that are noticeable I have recycled the clothing. I once made a cute patchwork pair of jeans because the tear was too noticeable. I have turned my jeans into skirts because of tears. Shirts are more difficult if there is a large tear, but can be doable. I've turned them into half shirts, vests, undershirts, etc.

7. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    I wish I had your creative talent, I'd love to be able to completely transform items of clothing like that!

I know the basics of sewing, so I will always attempt to repair any damage on a garment, rather than throw it out. I remember as a small child, watching my mother darn socks that had holes in them. Although my father worked very hard, we were pretty poor, so I have been brought up not to be wasteful.

I think that nowadays, with cheap clothing stores like Primark, people pay so little on clothes that they don't expect them to last for a long time, and don't think twice about throwing clothes away.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I basically live in jeans and often times after about a year they'll start to get rips and I'll usually mend them until I get more. Or a shirt, if I find a hole I'll mend it. I don't clothes shop alot so I'm more inclined to mend my clothes than to run out and just buy more. Although I need to be buying more clothes lol!

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Talk about wearing stuff until it falls apart :)
    Yeah nowadays it's tricky to be able to shop for clothes as much as we'd like to, we have no option than mend them as they get damaged.

10. daisysmell211

daisysmell211New Member

Threads:
    I will fix some of my very favorite clothes, while others, i will directly throw when they get damaged or ripped.

11. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    If there is less damage that is easy to fix, then I prefer fixing the cloths myself. If the damage is more, I prefer to stop using it.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fix my my clothes until they become unfixable. Once something has too much wear on it and can't be repaired anymore because it's been sewn too many times, then I toss it out and buy something new.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do! I only do minor repairs though because I am not really good when it comes to sewing clothes. When the button popped off, I can mend it. Simple rips or pocket damages are okay as well. :) When the damage is too big, I just take it to the tailor.

14. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. I mend my clothes whenever possible. I sew, so it is no big deal. If a piece of clothing is beyond repair, I just use the fabric to make something else. There's no use in wasting good fabric just because it cannot be used as it was originally supposed to be.

15. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. If it is just a missing button or a damaged zipper, I will do the repairs myself. If the hole or damage is on the knee area or sleeve area, I just cut the damaged part. Often, I turn the pants into shorts. The long-sleeved shirts can be refashioned into short sleeves or into a sleeveless blouse. When the garment is beyond repair, I just turn it into a rag. But I remove the buttons first so I can reuse these.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No matter how small or unnoticeable the tear is, I still make an effort to mend it for fear that if I leave it as-is, it might grow into an even bigger gash. I do have a sewing machine but I'm not so adept at using it. I learned blind hemming for the sole purpose of stiching persistent rips. If all else fails depite my effort, I just go to a nearby tailor and have my clothes (especially the zipper part) fixed.

17. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    My motto is to keep wearing something until I can no longer keep it on my body. If I can't wear outside anywhere then I will use it around the house. Turn a t-shirt into a rag meant for cleaning or patch my jeans with a old red shirt. The possibilities are actually endless when it comes to things like this.

18. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I find it a bit too tedious to be honest. I will only do it if they are too costly. If my pajama or a cheap jeans gets a hole or something, I am not going to bother with fixing them. Selling it off is always a better option.