Do you floss before you brush or after you brush your teeth?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by MrsJones • Dec 29, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    When I worked at the hospital there would always be some health related promotion going on and with that you could pick up all kinds of freebies. This was not limited to employees but visitors as well. I was always drawn to useful items like the dental floss over a key chain or ink pen. One reason is because I always forget to get some at the grocery store. Another reason obviously is because it's free.

I use it often throughout the day but from a dental hygienic view do you floss before or after you brush you teeth?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Always after, because that's when you remove anything your toothbrush didn't pick up. I used to use the dental sticks as they were better, but sometimes only floss will do. I will be honest I don't floss everyday, but my dentist said that is the only way to prevent plaque build up.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually floss before I brush my teeth to get everything out and then just remove the remains with the toothbrush. I will only floss after I brush my teeth if I for some reason forgot to do it before. Flossing is my least favorite part of dental care, and as much as it's necessary I will do it fast so I can get it over with.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to floss every after I have brushed my teeth. But because I am always on the hurry, I usually neglect it intentionally if I didn't forget it. But if I've go so much time, I floss seriously, but I do it after I brush.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it all depends what I have been eating. Certain types of food are harder to remove from one's teeth than others. That's when I first floss before I clean my teeth. At times, I even floss before and after cleaning my teeth, as often there are still food particles trapped between my teeth. I prefer a gentle fiber floss that thoroughly gets rid of even the most stubborn food bits.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting question- I always assumed everyone but me flossed after brushing! I personally usually floss before to get out all the gunk before brushing. It just makes me personally feel like I got out more dirt/my mouth is cleaner. It seemed kind of silly to me to 'polish' my teeth when gunk is still stuck in the gums.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really floss unless something's stuck in between and it's difficult to remove it without using floss. I simply brush my teeth thoroughly with a whitening toothpase and when that's done, I gargle with a mouthwash. If something's stuck, then of course I do the flossing prior to brushing. Flossing tends to move my teeth a lot and it hurts sometimes.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I've always flossed before brushing my teeth as it makes more sense. I floss, brush then use a bit of mouth rinse. I wish I flossed everyday but like most people, I do it mainly when I've got stuff like meat stuck between my teeth.