Do You Frequent Second Hand Stores?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by remnant • Aug 9, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Secondhand stores offer quite nice deals as some items are as good as new while others have retained their premium condition after being tried and tested over time. Some stores offer bargains with wide price margins as opposed to other stores where discounts are within small margins. Do you frequent secondhand stores?

2. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I shop at second hand stores (thrift stores), I always get my clothes there, and really anything else I need for the home (appliances, bedding, books, decor, plates, kitchen utensils, shoes) and I will literally wait to get an item until I find it at a good price at a second hand store or garage sale. I rarely buy anything new, the only new things I buy (not including food, tolietries, etc,lol) is one/two pair of nice tennis shoes (for walking) a year, and undergarments everything else I buy used.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    If you are looking for durable goods such as Iron cast ovens, steel blades, classic videogame consoles, furnitude, catridges, etc. Then is quite likely you'll find a bargain deal. Even for smartphones, higher middle class tends to be very consumerist thus they will replace gadgets frequently, and you surely could find expensive used phones from them for a nice price.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have here stores of used clothes called Ukay-ukay. The goods are imported and includes footwear and other accessories. That is the usual haunt of my sister and her husband. Whenever we would take a vacation in Baguio City - that is the summer resort because of the cool temperature - there are lots of Ukay-ukay there and my sister and her husband would spend one day at least for their sojourn in the second hand store.

Clothing items are okay for the second hand but not electronics and appliances. We have never patronized electronic and appliance stores for second hand items. The quality is the issue.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do frequent second-hand stores specially for clothing. Just like @Corzhens@Corzhens, there are many stores here which sell second-hand clothing store at very affordable prices. Sometimes, one even gets lucky to spot a branded second-hand clothing or apparel at a bargained price. Most of the clothes they sell in these stores are still of good quality and still in with the latest fashion. There are also some stores which sell second-hand furniture and home accessories. I would also frequent these stores to look for something I could add as a decoration to my home. :)

6. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Once in a while I visit second hand stores. Usually, I buy books, room decorating stuffs and furniture from second hand stores. I don't buy used machinery and electronic stuffs. Normally, I buy second hand stuff only if the price is less than 50 percent and the item still has a good life span.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever possible, I buy "used" which is why I buy most of my stuff from stores that sell used items. There are some things which one must buy brand new though if you want the assurance of durability and maybe quality if you just have to buy a specific brand.

That said, since people can save a lot of money buying used stuff, before paying full price for something they want they should first try to find it in a thrift stores and other places . . . even Craiglist.

8. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I only do it for certain items like tools for example. I can go to the store and pay $5 dollars for a wrench, but at the pawn shop the same wrench is $1 dollar. I wouldn't do it with things like vacuum cleaners, because it might break down on me really quick.

I just determine my actions on how I feel about a particular item. I will buy blu ray dvds for cheap at a pawn shop because you can't scratch them, so they are always like in new condition. I don't care too much about the case because I'm big on saving space in my home. I'll put all my movie in a big dvd sleeve case.

9. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I will not say I have never gone to one of ever bought anything from one, I mostly hit the second hand stores when I somehow need something I think I probably wont find around in any local store, second hand sellers are such a good option when you're looking for rare things, at least that's what I use them for, nothingelse whatsoever.

I have never been a big fan of buying used items, but there are some times when you really need to do so.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once in a blue moon I do visit second hand stores. I mean, I like them, I don't love them. I know you can unearth some fantastic gems from there, but I honestly don't have the time or the energy to frequent them. A friend has however, told me about a certain flea market somewhere in town, where there's this woman who sells some very good gently used designer clothes, shoes and accessories. That is certainly one opportunity I won't be passing up. I'm not a label basher, but these are very good items going for next to nothing LOL

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, quite frequently and I have usually very pleased with what I walk out with. We had a new store open up here called Hand Me Ups and it is basically a little warehouse full of second hand goods, and much of it is very high quality. If you shop around enough, it is one of those places where you will always find something to buy, which can be good or bad I suppose, but I have always liked it. Thanks for sharing.

12. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I love shopping for clothes and purses at thrift stores the most. I'll occasionally shop for household items too, especially cookware. I love cast iron and if I can find it, I have to purchase it.

13. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Second hand stores are a great place to buy furniture that is solid wood. You have to pay a fortune for that in the stores anymore. I have a need for a good desk for my office. I found one this okay at Walmart.com, but it is made of particle board. I think I will venture out to the thrift stores and try to find something there. A solid wood desk would last so much longer. And it would be affordable at a thrift store.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that "Thrifty" should have been my name; because I always shop around and look for the best deals at the lowest prices. Thrift stores and yard sales are a great way to get expensive items a a cheap price as long as you are inspecting what you buy before you get it.
    Somtimes, you can come home with treasures for almost nothing, if you are watching closely. I once got a whole boxfull of old dishes that sold for $5 at the thrift store, and they were Franciscan Red Apple pattern, and worth over $500 because they were collectible dishes that were made in the early 1920's sometime .

15. annacath

annacathNew Member

Threads:
    Sure. I think sometime second hand item will more economic. Sometime it's similar with the new one with lower price. I really appreciate with that.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely we go to second hand stores especially when they are having specials like Savers this Wed. the 17 a .99 for t-shirts to celebrate Thrift Store Day!!! I signed up for their card and gave them my email and I get alerts like this one all the time! I love the almost new or sometimes you can find the new items too. They had a 50% off on everything except their red tags and it was so wonderful to get shorts, shirts and other items there at the thrift stores. We get furniture that's under $50 that lasted over a decade too. Love thrift stores. I look for things I need like a 42" x 32" frame I need to sell a painting we have. Sometimes in the bag section you can find Gucci bags!
    Saver's Store Wed. 17

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I do shop in second hand stores. Thrift stores, charity shops, used furniture stores, gently used shops, consignment stores, you name it. I like finding unique items instead of all the mass-produced junk that everyone else has. I like getting real wood furniture for less than the cost of "new" plastic and particle board garbage.

If you think about it, antique shops are also "second hand" stores (or maybe third hand or more, ha ha). I see nothing wrong with getting quality goods for low prices. You just have to shop carefully and avoid the junk.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite thrift store is the Veteran's thrift Store. They have one certain color of tag that is half price all week, and then on Monday of the next week, everything with that color tag is only $1.00, which is an awesome deal. Then, on Tuesday, they start the week with another half price tag color. Not only that , since Monday is the dollar day, Tuesday, is Seniors Day, when all seniors get 30% off of everything in the store, plus whatever color tag is 50% off; sso that is my favorite day to shop because I am a senior. Mondays are great because of the dollar bargains, but they go fast; so if you are not there waiting outside when they open up the doors, most of the good items are gone.
    They have other specials on other days of the week, like Thursday is Students Day; so there are always discounts for someone each day.

19. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I buy 90% second hand. That starts with clothes and continues with furniture, white goods, tools, building materials, books, you name it. There are only a few things that I would never buy used, and that's shoes, socks, underwear, and other personal items. I love exploring thrift shops and opportunity stores. But admittedly, sometimes there is such a strong energy from the previous owner or owners attached to an item, that I don't even want to touch it. Whereas with other goods, you can distinctly feel how much they were appreciated and cared for.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do.. but it depends on the store. Some are known crooks and I won't contribute.