Do you get allergies from necklaces?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Oct 8, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love necklaces. I think that they are the only pieces of jewelry that I can be bothered to wear. Sadly, there are times when I get allergies from them especially when I wear them for a long time. One time, I went to a party wearing pearl necklaces. After an hour or so, I felt that my neck was very itchy, and my friends told me that my neck was so red! I didn't know what happened though but I was pretty sure it was because of the necklaces.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to when I was a kid. I no longer get allergies in my current age. The reason? I'm not sure. Maybe I have a better functioning immune system now. Before, I couldn't even wear fancy necklaces. My mom had to buy me pure silver or 14k ones. Otherwise, I'd itch without end.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I never have, but my mom is very sensitive to them. Same with rings, sometimes she'll get this weird coloured rash in a ring around her finger after wearing them. I'm glad that I don't, though, as I really enjoy having jewelry on the majority of the time.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love jewellery and like to wear necklaces, bracelets and rings. I rarely get any allergic reactions from the jewellery that I wear as it is mostly made of silver and gold. I also like beaded jewellery that has been crafted with semi-precious stones. Occasionally, I might get some minor infection from a ring that is too tight and the air can't circulate freely under the stone. I only ever wear that particular ring on special occasions, as it was a gift from a very dear person.
    I'd say that the allergies you experience have probably a lot to do with nickel, synthetics, artificial dyes, etc. Perhaps a nice alternative would be to wear jewellery made from natural seeds, husks, rocks and so on.

5. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. :( I really can only wear sterling silver or gold. I have tried many other things over the years and I either get red and itchy or my skin where the necklace lays turns a greenish color. It actually makes it kind of difficult because I really love to dress up my outfits with jewelry and this makes it hard. :( My daughters are the same exact way. I guess it just depends on how the metal reacts to your skin.

Danyel :(

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't wear all sorts of jewelry, so I don't really know if I'm allergic to them or not, since I only wear little gold earring studs 24/7 to prevent the hole in my ear from closing. I also used to wear a silver watch too but I never had any adverse reaction, so I guess I may not be allergic to them.

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get allergies from jewelry myself, but a close friend of mine does. She's allergic to silver. Any silver piece of jewelry she wears, whether its a necklace, ring, bracelet, or otherwise irritates her skin after she wears it for an hour or two. Even if the jewelry contains only a small portion of silver she forms a rash. Maybe you're allergic to one of the elements that your jewelery is made with? You can visit an Allergist and get tested for it and your insurance may cover the cost. You should look into it :)

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to wear necklaces, and fortunately I have never gotten allergies off of any material of them, whether they were real or fake. I'm guessing some people just have a higher threshold for it than others. I have some friends that never could wear fake silver or gold because it makes them itchy and red. I myself have worn both real and fakes ones but have never had problems with either.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No but I find that I sometimes get a weird colored spot from mood necklaces. Maybe this is a common thing and not just me because it seems like other people can get this too. Also for some reason it seems like there are times I can wear them without any spots.

10. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It depends, honestly. If it's a cheap metal then it will make me break out and become really red, but if its silver or real gold, then I don't seem to have much of a problem with it, or at least I haven't yet, but then again, I don't wear necklaces very often, so I can't be 100% exact.