Do you get your money's worth with buffets?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jun 13, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I do admit that my fiancee and I don't go to buffets or all you can eat establishments much. But when we do head out to our favorite all you can eat sushi place, which is Sushi Gen twice a year, we really get more than what we spend. I mean, for lunch, the restaurant charges $12.99, but we definitely eat probably $100 worth of food each.

I can't say the same thing for Chinese buffets, like Mandarin, because they charge $13.99 and I get full after the second plate. Also, buffet restaurants just seem like overindulgence and I hate myself afterwards.

Question: do you get your complete money's worth when you head out to buffets or all you can eat restaurants?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We don't go to them very often either. There used to be a local restaurant that had an all you can eat seafood night that was really worth the $7.99 that the charged for it. Thier food was always delicious, too. This was the only one that I have been to that I would say you really got your money's worth on. Unfortunately, the owner was getting older and sold the restaurant to someone else who changed the entire place. They don't even have seafood anymore there now.

3. TabithaW

TabithaWNew Member

Threads:
    No. No. No. We are vegetarians so my starched and veggies would ever cost the price of the full buffet. The buffet owners are assuming everyone will be piling their plate high with expensive meat products and charge accordingly. I often wished they had a non-meat eater discount at buffets so I could partake of the dessert!

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Neither my husband nor myself have huge appetites, so we tend to avoid buffet restaurants. However, my daughter loves the Pizza Hut buffet lunch, and she can get through an enormous amount of food. She's vegetarian, so most buffets are not worth her while, but Pizza Hut always has at least one vegetarian pizza, as well as a vegetarian pasta dish, and she loves salad. I've been with her a few times, but I can't keep up with her.

5. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    Nope, I never get my money worth when I go to buffets. I eat only two places, and be really full. Well you can see I get my money because two place or two meals anyway adds up to about $12.99.

6. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Rarely on our side but once in a while (few times a year), we head to some type of buffet (sweet tomatoes, sushi ...) and we enjoy a long family lunch or dinner
    Now none of us have huge appetite so we tend to eat less before and definitely after. Always worth it though still more expensive than eating and cooking at home.
    So more for the family time than anything else

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do. Considering I'm paying the same price or less than I would for an entree at another location, then I thoroughly enjoy getting to try a huge variety of foods. The downside is that when I tend to buy an entree at another location, I often have leftovers for the next day. That can't happen at a buffet, of course. I think it's an okay tradeoff for being able to eat lots of different foods, though.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat that much so for me it is not cost effective. I may go once a month with the family for the company.

9. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    When I go by myself I never get the moneys worth. However, when my husband goes he definitely gets his money worth. He used to tank away about 10 plates a sitting and a couple of dessert plates as well.

10. chelsknits

chelsknitsNew Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of an all you can eat sushi buffet! I wish we had something like that around here. I would go any chance I got!

In response to your question, we don't really go to buffets that much either but when we do we know that we know that we're going a day or two ahead of time. I'll be honest - I eat very little the day that we're going to go. I'll snack here and there to make sure I'm not so starving I feel lightheaded or anything but I make sure I go there really hungry! I feel like if I'm going there I should make sure I can eat at least my money's worth. Growing up, when my mother would take me to buffets, she would always tell me to get more than one plate so that it would be worth going at all. So, it seems like it was just sort of how I was raised. I mean, what's the point of going to an all you can eat buffet and eating one plate? You could go to a normal restaurant and pay the same amount, or less, for one plate of food!

11. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I seldom ever eat at all you can eat buffets, and even then, it's someone inviting me and paying for the food. They're just so out of the way in my area that it'd be impossible to get to in a short amount of time unless I have my own car. But when I do eat at buffets, which is about once a year, I definitely get my (friend's) money's worth. I am by no means a vegetarian in any way, shape, or form, so I pile meat and dessert on high and get multiple plates of it at buffets. Not to mention drinks too! Though I'll only ever drink tea or water for some reason. So in short, I have a big appetite!

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not for buffets because my stomach is way too small for it. I have tried once and paid $10 for a dinner buffet and I think what I ate was just worth $3 or even less. I am not a heavy eater really so that's why I wont bite on buffets.

13. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't think its worth going to a buffet restaurant. Two reasons.... one being that I can only manage a small amount of food, and the second reason, is that when I go to a restaurant I prefer to be served by a waiter than standing in a queue for my dinner. However having said that, I would definitely make an exception for the sushi buffet! :)

14. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped going to buffets years ago. Just wasn't worth it to me. It just causes over eating and unwanted weight gain.... well for me anyway. I always wanted to feel like I was getting my moneys worth. Even though the food wasn't that great, and I always felt uncomfortable afterward. So, I figured, whats the point...

15. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I don't go to buffets all that much but when I do I always get my moneys worth. The dinner buffets around here usually runs for around $15. The one thing I like about buffets are the variety of food to choose from. Unlike going to a regular restaurant, I can sample the dishes instead of being stuck with just the one I ordered.

#15Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  16. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've been to a lot of buffets and you really do get your money's worth. The food is reasonably priced and there's no limit, so you can't go wrong with that. The thing I don't like is the food is sitting out and there are so many people in the buffet. Sometimes when I was dining at the buffet, I've seen people cough over the food. This is the only negative side about the buffet, but I don't let that stop me from going.

#16Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  17. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my husband have a chinese buffet that we love to go to. We feel that we get our money's worth there because it costs the same as if we went to go eat at like Cheddars or Chilis. I love it because we can get a little bit of everything. There is even a hibachi grill that we can ask for them to make a plate however we want it. Me and my husband usually ask for spicy noodles and shrimp.

18. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, sure. The buffet at the place I go to is like 6.00 and I get something like 4 full plates that would normally cost 6 or 7 dollars a piece. So I end up paying a fourth or less for what I ate. Then of course I sneak out another 4 or 5 dollars out in my cargo pants pockets. So yeah definitely getting my money's worth.

19. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I only spend for a buffet meal when I'm out with my friends and if we're really really hungry. Spending for one if I'm really not in the mood to eat would be such a waste coz I'm a moody eater. And I'm really don't eat a lot on a normal day so I only use my buffet time when I'm starving like crazy!

20. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Many years ago, I had a group of friends who were all keen on buffets. So we would go something like once a week. It cost each of us about 3.50usd. The style was Thai based on Korean steam boat. We all definitely ate more than 3.50 usd's worth of food. Usually to prepare ourselves we would be only eating very light snacks for that day, so that we have a lot of room for all that wonderful buffet food in the evening.