Do you get your money's worth with buffets?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jun 13, 2012.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It'll depend on the person's maximum capacity for food. People like me, who generally can't handle too much food, would be wasting money in buffets. That doesn't mean I don't go, though. I guess my appetite has a select palate - i.e. bring me to a Japanese food buffet - and you'll definitely get your money's worth!

2. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I used to eat at buffet many years ago. It is good for the price and amount of food you can eat. But the down side is you suffering the after affects of gorging on food. That is part of the reason why the country's waste line is expanding. I stay away from them now.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I won't even bother going to a buffet unless I'm taking food away. If I don't, then I'm sure I'm not getting my money's worth, but I also don't want to eat myself sick. That completely defeats the purpose.

4. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    We rarely eat at all-you-can-eat buffets, because we prefer to stay at home and cook. But whenever we do go, I can say that I get my money's worth alright. I just love the desserts and I love steak! This is mostly what I eat on buffets, and because steak is pretty expensive, just on that alone I usually end up eating way more than what I paid for. But I can't say the same with my husband. He's very slim and he's really not much a fan of food. Sometimes I think if he only eats just for the sake of eating.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually don't. Many times, the food is so rich that I get too full after my second plate. Especially at the buffets in Vegas. It's a shame, because unless you have some coupon or are getting them comped by your hotel - they're pretty expensive. They're also not very good at keeping your drinks refilled, which makes it difficult to eat more.

6. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Yes I do my best to get my money's worth at all buffets I go to.

That's the point is it not? If I went to a buffet and just ate what I normally ate, I would just feel bad later for completely wasting my money. I need to eat as much as I can to justify my extra expenditures! Or else... my wallet will cry a hole through my pocket.

7. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually eat my money's worth at buffets, unless I am at a Chinese restaurant. The buffet at most of the Chinese restaurants where I live are no more than $8. I usually get pretty full when I go. I don't have a very big appetite, but there was one time that I stuffed myself and was so full I could barely walk. I know that's a shame. One restaurant that I don't usually get my money's worth is at a particular seafood restaurant that costs about $30. I usually go there once or twice a year. Sometimes I will stay for 2 or 3 hours eating and resting, then eating some more. However, I still leave feeling as if I didn't get my money's worth.

8. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I don't go to buffets very often, but I do get my moneys worth. I normally drink coffee and eat a cup of fruits if we are going to a buffet for dinner. There is a mandarin buffet two miles away from where I live, but we have only been to it twice and we have lived in the neighborhood for over five years. The food is great and dessert is amazing.

9. cheesecake

cheesecakeMember

Threads:
    I always eat like a pig at buffet restaurants. Fortunately for me, I usually can go the rest of the day without eating anything. For my birthday, I got a free meal at BD's Mongolian BBQ. You can sign up for their e-club which will give you a free meal on your birthday. I got the unlimited bowl. Needless to say, I was so full afterward and I was having stomach pain. I didn't eat anything else for the rest of the day. That being said, I think the buffet still made money off of me. I think the food is a lot cheaper than people think.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to buffets very often, but I don't overeat. I really don't want to be wearing the calories on my hips!

11. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Buffets do not work out for me. I become overwhelmed looking at too much food at one time...seeing it and smelling it fills me, then I can only pick at it. Also, I feel uncomfortable with food standing open and people possibly sneezing over it etc...so germs spreading. No, buffets are not for me.

12. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    While I'm sure many buffets are a good value, it's the food safety issues that have kept me away. I did at one time look forward to loading up the family and heading out for a dinner without cleaning out the bank account. Buffets were a perfect way to do this. However, the savings were not worth the health risk. 4 different buffets, at four different restaurants ended up with most or all of us in my family dealing with food poisoning. Confirmed cases of food poisoning, not the "something didn't agree with me" sickness. And if you have ever had food poisoning you know the difference. This was over a 2 years span and we did frequent buffets in-between the cases, but the last episode was enough. Everyone in the house trying to get into the bathroom at the same time..arg..
    That was 7 years ago, and except for the continental buffet offered at hotels where I can open my own packages, I do not visit them any more.

These buffets are only as good as the people handling them, which is also true in all restaurants, the difference being, how long your food is sitting in the back, before it hits the buffet table and how long has it actually been sitting on the buffet? Filling new product on top of old, stirring it up to make it look fresh. Think about it the next time your standing in a buffet line.

#32Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    Oh I sure do. I can't afford to go often but when i do go I pig out. Ryan's here has a pretty good buffet. I like their breakfast buffet the best. If you go at a certain time of morning you can get two meals for the price of one when their starting to bring out lunch food. The Pizza Ranch ihas a pretty good buffet but a bit more pricier than Ryans. I really love Golden Coral although we don't have one here in the Cedar Rapids area , which I'm surprised since we have everything else here. Golden Coral has a buffet to die for. It's way to easy to over eat there.

14. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    Not always, but I try my best to get the most out of it. I usually go to buffets where there are really good and expensive dishes that you just cannot miss out on. (Oysters, crabs and such) but I think if I were to sit down and calculate in exact detail, more often than not, I pay more than what I have ate. It's bound to happen, isn't it?

15. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I don't think I get my money's worh at a buffet. I don't eat all that much so most often I end up feeling like I'm overpaying. I always find myself thinking 'there's so much to eat, what should I try first?' and by the time I'm done sampling, I'm stuffed. I do feel like I want to eat more but I can't get myself to do it. Besides, I also hate the part where you have to stand in line and wait for your turn.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Not me, no. I rarely eat too much, especially when I go out to grab something to eat. By brother on the other hand is the complete opposite. He could make a buffet go broke in days :p Luckily, thanks to his metabolism, he's still in shape.

17. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get my money's worth at buffets. Most of the time I want something that is on the menu, and is not apart of the buffet. I also like to take doggy bags home and as we all know most buffets don't allow that. The best buffet I had was at a brunch buffet. I felt like I got my money's worth there because there were so many great dishes to try. The food was also made to order even though it was buffet-style.

18. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    When I go to buffets, I try to eat slowly and consume as much as I can without overdoing it, to the point of overt excess. I love buffets, so a little of this, a little of that works great for me. I have always been satisfied, with having gotten enough for price I paid.

19. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    Yes, I definitely get my money worth. I can eat a ton at a buffet and so can my husband. We go occasionally with my mom or sister though and they are full after one small little plate, I just can't see where they benefit at all by going to a buffet.

20. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Not really. Not anymore, at least. My intake has reduced in recent years, and although tempted, I resist going in for buffets most of the time I eat out. I find buying a la carte works out cheaper, although I miss out on eating some of the foods on offer at the buffet table.