Do You Go Back To The Store For A Forgotten Item?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gracer • Jul 11, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    During my latest trip to the grocery store, I found out that there was one item missing in my shopping bag when I was already fixing my groceries at home. It was a small piece of bathroom deodorant that only costs more than a Dollar but it was punched into my receipt. I didn't bother to go back to the store and ask about it anymore though but maybe if it cost more than just a Dollar then I would have gone back to the store and ask about it.

How about you guys, have you ever experienced a similar thing? Would you go back to a store if you find out they forgot to put one item you bought in your shopping bag no matter how small the price was, or would you rather just let it pass? I'd love to hear your thoughts?

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't go back immediately because it's an 80 mile round trip. However, I would inquire about it the following week and perhaps make a phone call right away and tell them about it. I bought some spoiled fruit recently, it was so disappointing to bite into it. I put it in the fridge and saved it for the next week, returned it and got my money back. It was worth almost $5.00.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That would have been really disappointing @cluckeyo@cluckeyo. Good thing you were able to act on it immediately and you were able to get your money back in the end. $5.00 is also a big deal nowadays.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have had this experience before where an item I had bought was left at the supermarket. However, it was easy for me to return to the supermarket to retrieve it because I live very near to there. I did get my item without any hassle. However, if the item was of a small value and the store was far away I would probably let it stay because it would probably end up costing more that its value to retrieve it

5. Krnasmommy

KrnasmommyNew Member

Threads:
    I would definitely go back. I mean if I'm spending money on a product I want that product. Even if it's just a dollar. The only way I wouldn't go back is if the store is far away and it would take longer than a few minutes to get there

6. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh this old situation. It really depends on what it was, I suppose, but I think that more often than not I just say forget it and go home without it. I do not necessarily say forget though, but we'll save my vices for another day. The one that comes to mind that I always forget, and I cannot that I still do this, is lettuce. Every trip I intend to buy a head of lettuce, and about 70 percent of the time I forget.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a problem with that left out item. Even if that is worth one dollar, I would probably go back to the supermarket if the traffic will permit me. Our policy is this - we can give donations in hundreds or even thousands but losing something is different. It would bear on my psychology that I lost money because of my fault and I might have a sleepless night. So what I would do is to think of some other items to buy so when I go back, the trip would somewhat be substantial and not just for that left out item. That's also what I do when I have to return an item that I bought which turns out to be defective.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have had this happen and I will go back to the store to retrieve what I've forgotten. But I have learned to watch carefully as my items are bagged to make sure things aren't missed. I also watch as the cashier scans as I've gotten home to find out that they have double scanned an item and I have to drive back to complain. I think it is the principle of going back rather than the actual money I'm after. I think when you go back to correct these kinds of mistakes it lets the store realize that these mistakes are happening and that they need to take steps to correct them. I see it as a way of helping them with quality assurance.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh that's really annoying when it happens! It's recently happened to me a few times in a row, but I didn't bother going back. I didn't know whether to blame the person who was helping me pack my things or not. But then I left a whole bag of stuff from Woolies, which is not exactly cheap. So I did go back, and luckily, it was all there and it wasn't stuff that needed refrigerating. Now I try to be extra vigilant and count the number of bags I have going in. There's this annoying thing here where they take things you've bought elsewhere when you go into a store and keep them for you until you're ready to leave the store. I reckon that may be how I kept losing stuff. Apparently it's to reduce stealing. Ok.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean it depends on the amount of the product and how far away the store is. This answer would probably vary for all of us. These are just some of the things that has to b evaluated. It is a way that you must be asking yourself..Is this return trip going to be worth it?

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll tell you when I first started using the bus for trans I buy like I had a car...no more! I go more often to stores and carry what I can, so I see what goes in the bag and how much it costs too. Sometimes I stop and fix my bags contents because I ride the bus and I check everything from what's on the receipt to what's in the bag...I do that right before I go out of the stores just to be sure everything is alright. Cashiers are just as human as you and I, so I check all the time when I go shopping. Once I was next in line at the cashier and the person left without their item which was on the table with the bags and the cashier went running out for the customer with item in hand...I'd call customer service and talk to the manager right away at the moment you know something wasn't right and discuss what to do. I bought honey and threw away the receipt for it was last month that I bought it...I checked the label and it had aspartame and I wanted to exchange it and the manager said I could do it just go to customer service. Well I did just that and got a more expensive same kind of item just one without aspartame. See just ask the customer service and manager and see what can be done...best to keep the receipt too. I'd hesitate if the item was missing and you didn't call that day though to tell you the truth.

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely go back because you paid for it.
    However, I have had this happen to me but did not notice it until I got home and by then it would be too late to return to the store, especially if it is far away. Here in Germany this is only accepted within a short time period.
    If you happen to notice this after 15 minutes later then you cn forget about it. Maybe in the USA this is handled differently.

13. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We also have that kind of thing here whenever we enter the grocery or department store. They would ask everyone who goes in their store who already have previously bought items from other stores or have large bags such as back packs to leave their stuff in their designated baggage counter. They give out specific numbers for your stuff. I guess it's their way of making sure no one steals from them by sneaking some of their items in the bags.

14. Lushlala

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer....that's interesting to hear! I honestly thought it was only done here in Botswana! Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking? I just think it's so lame and dated, and such a waste of everyone's time. If people are going to steal, they'll steal anyway IMHO! I've seen all sort of wrappers shoved in obscure little places, and that tells me that it happens. I just wish they'd invest in good CCTV equipment, have security personnel and tag their items to curb stealing. Woolworths used to collect stuff bought from other stores too, but they've now stopped. So I hope the rest follow suit.

15. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, I'm paying a lot of attention when standing in front of a cashier while he/she is doing her job scanning the stuff. If anything shows up announced I'd definitely tell the cashier to remove it from the list.

16. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm from the Philippines. :) Your post also caught my attention because I have always thought that these policies only happen here in our country. It's really very interesting to learn that it also happens in your country. I also agree with the things you said about their policies not really being effective in preventing stealing because robbers will always find ways to sneak things out of the stores especially those without CCTVs in place.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I would go back, especially if the store is very near my place. But if I will have to endure traffic to go there and the item is less than $2 then I would just let it go.

18. Lushlala

Threads:

Very interesting, huh!? I wonder where that practice came from?! I really can't wait for it to disappear because it's just too much hassle, I can't deal. Seriously. Ever since Woolworths did away with this dates practice, I really enjoy going there! I guess they're avoiding spending a lot of money on good CCTV equipment?

19. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have this option as I don't drive and therefore can't easily get back to the store. It would mean having to ask someone to run there for me or pick me up to take me there, so I'd probably just leave it.

However if I don't get all my groceries when I do online shopping then I definitely get them to redeliver the item or give me back my money. One time I was short by 3 bags and they didn't seem very happy at all with having to refund me but I don't see why I shouldn't get my items delivered if I paid for it.

20. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Having items left at the grocery store that I had paid for has happened to me on more than one occasion, and on each occasion, I did go back and was able to retrieve the item. Fortunately for me, the grocery store is quite near to where I live so it is not a big problem going back for the item, although it can be annoying to have to do so after having arrived home and unpacked the other stuff. It may not be an expensive item but it usually is something that I want at the time and that is why I would have bought it.