Do You Go Herbal?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Apr 6, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have observed over time that if one overuses prescription drugs and medications, a higher dosage is usually recommended or a different version of a medication which are both costly. For most ailments and illnesses, there myriad of ways one can make medicine from concoctions, decoctions and infusions from common plants. This information is available in both online and offline resources and one does not have to spend a dime to cure most illnesses. I have tried some in the past and found them to be effective.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too, I like herbal and holistic type of caring for your health. I do both too for ultimately I'd like to be off meds forever and have told my doctor about it. I work together with my doctor and discuss things with her about meds and holistic ways like herbs to cure myself. Herbal remedies are effective as long as you're not allergic to it or it doesn't have any side effects taking it with your meds.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't patronize the herbal products called supplements, as the label says - no approved therapeutic claims.

In 1996, the urologist prescribed sambong pills for my kidney stone. My husband asked if the real sambong leaves can substitute for it. The doc said the leaves are better because it is natural. So we planted sambong and until now I am drinking sambong leaves. It is herbal but not the processed supplement. The sambong leaves boiled into tea is very effective in dissolving kidney stones. It's been 10 years now and I'm doing fine.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always liked to dabble in anything herbal, and have always wanted to believe that the herbal approach is more effective in the long run, and cheaper, as well as the healthier approach. But I have not found that to be the case over the years. There are so many herbal remedies for so many ailments online, and most of the ones that I have tried don't work.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family has been into alternative medication for a long time now. We have tried a number of herbal products and supplements, most of which were highly effective and less expensive compared to prescription drugs or drugs sold over the counter. My personal go-to herbs for pain relief, rejuvenation and overall healing (in tea or concentrated herbal capsule form) are moringga, sour sop, mangosteen, grape seed extract and blumea balsamifera.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    It seems that the people in this thread have had a lot more success with herbal alternative medicine than I have in the past, which sucks for me lol. I do know that ginger works for a lot of the herbal remedies that it is supposed to. It is great for the stomach and for setting certain hormones into motion. If you want an early menstrual cycle, take a lot of ginger.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The use of herbs goes back to the ancient times, some people would call it witch craft but the natural herbs and plants have been used for years. Most medicines we use today came from herbs. I like to use herbs and spices when ever I can. I have learned to make my own spice tea using ginger, cloves and cinnamon.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, I always try a herbal or homeopathic remedy before going with Western medicine. I grew up thinking it was normal to take herbal remedies for stomach ailments, colds, coughs etc. I introduced my husband to this way of thinking and he agrees. Once he started seeing how Asian medicine works he is a big believer. Now that we have children I use many of the herbal remedies I learned from my mother as well as buy Chinese medicine for colds, coughs, upset stomach etc. I believe they work more effectively and are much better for you.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will sometimes use herbals, but if you don't know what you are doing they can be a bit dangerous. I mean, I think they are helpful for minor illnesses and other things, but I am not sure I would use them for anything major. I am not a doctor, and for something serious I trust Western Medicine. One time though I did cure a UTI in my cat by using herbals, and I will take cranberry if I find one starting in myself, and it seems to do the trick.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you need to keep taking it, it's not working. The same goes for both precription and herbal. Yes, I would prefer herbal.. after EXTENSIVE research on my part and believe me, the research is rare. It just doesn't line the right pockets. finding the source of the problem is by far the most beneficial.. and it's usually what you're already putting in your body. Works for most people I know. Take care of yourself, ~before~ you need to search for answers.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I don't lean too heavily on it, yes I do like to dabble from time to time. Some of the supplements I use are herbal. But I always speak to the experts in the store to ensure I'm taking the right stuff and that I won't put myself at risk. When I used to struggle with insomnia, herbal remedies were my go-to stuff to take because I was wary of becoming addicted to any of the medical versions.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I feel like the world would be a lot better off if we actually went back to herbal remedies, as opposed to the medication that everybody seems to be hooked on these days. Not only are people hooked on them, getting in debt over them, but the side effects kill people every day. Native Americans knew so much more than our pharmaceutical companies.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

To be fair - this is a common misconception - as just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean that it is safe or that it will have no side effects.

Particularly when bearing in mind the fact that - although many people regard natural herbal remedies that have been used for centuries as safe - not only is there is no conclusive evidence to support any claims that natural remedies are effective, gentler, safer or that they have less side side effects than conventional medicines - but as many herbs have drug like effects and there are many natural plant extracts that contain dozens of different chemicals whose actions are not only unsafe but are also unknown - its not all unusual to find that some traditionally used herbal remedies - very often have side effects identical to those of conventional medicines - some of which can be so dangerously severe that they are lethal - so much so - that its actually quite the opposite - as many more people die from taking herbal medications than they do from conventional medications

Which is why it is always advisable to check with a Pharmacist, Medical Practitioner or Health Care Professional prior to using ANY natural remedies and particularly so if already taking prescribed medication - especially as it may mean that the dosage of the prescribed medication may need to be adjusted either up or down - in order not to effect the drugs efficacy and also to avoid the possibility of having an adverse drug interaction.

That said - being a great believer in prevention is way better than the cure - much as I would agree that herbal remedies can be useful - as well as preferable for some minor ailments and sometimes even very beneficial when combined with conventional medicines - there is unfortunately - no escaping the fact - that there are many, many diseases where conventional medicine is the only option - if you want to survive.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Too true.. but I wouldn't rely on the word of a doctor on much outside of what they can prescribe. I would never ask a doctor about herbals or diet. They'd tell you the same thing outside of a doctor/patient relationship lol. I'll look to the scientists on these things and even then you must investigate very carefully and read what's not written as much as what is. Do not blindly follow anyone's word. ESPECIALLY if you're getting your info from blogs and neighbors lol ;)

15. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It follows that some herbal products are made by quacks and have superfluous claims. Some of these products don't justify the cost. There is also the issue of dosage which one has to get right in order to reap the benefits optimally. Incorrect estimations can also have adverse effects which would result in the user incurring additional costs to recover from.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, my family members even tried taking those herbal medicines recommended by their doctors for UTI since it can be effective, so I think herbal medicines are generally recommended as an alternative treatment for ailments.

17. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Sure. Nothing wrong with going herbal or trying something new. As long as it is safe to use, I am fine with it.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to use nothing but natural remedies, but I don't think it's feasible. First of all, these things can have side effects or interact with different foods or drugs, and you have to know a lot about this stuff to use them safely. It's always wise to check with a professional.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cheap supplements don't often contain much of the pure ingredient you're looking for. You won't save money using this stuff, if it doesn't work. I would advise reading up and finding out which brands offer the purest forms of the ingredients you're seeking. The same thing applies to essential oils, although these often need to be diluted with a "carrier" oil.

There's a lot to learn.

I have used some remedies with good results, and saved money with them. It just takes a lot of information and a bit of trial and error.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is a well known fact that medications are not the safest thing to use, yet people use them anyway for a little relief. But then people are unwilling to try herbal remedies at all, for thinking that they are hocus pocus lol. Like, at least try herbal remedies before labelling them t be hocus pocus, right? But people don't think that way.

20. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's something I find amazing. I mean, people don't even realize that everytime they take their flu medication or something, it hurts their kidneys. A lot of food including cheese that we use hurts our liver. And yet, its the natural herbal stuff that they point to and laugh. Of course, I don't mind. I just think its better to try something.

I myself suffered from something that has no cure in modern medicine. There are steroids that you can take every few months that cost an arm and a leg ($600 every six months). But, I took the roids because I thought there was no choice. Then, I found a herbal treatment that cost me $60 once and I have been fine. I mean that's what makes me angry about pharma companies... I am sure they know the same cure exists out there, but they would rather keep people coming back then actually cure something.