Do You Go Shopping With Your Bike?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Mar 6, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I like to go shopping with my bicycle. I have a metal basket in the back of my bike into which fits everything that I need for a week for my household. And if it doesn't, I will simply go back for it at another time. I love pedaling my bike around town, chatting with the locals, and feeling great after my "shopping workout". :)
    How often do you go shopping with your bike?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    We used to run our errands on our bikes all the time. My husband and I would each wear a backpack since we didn't have anywhere we could mount baskets on our road bikes. Unfortunately, in our area, the drivers tend to be very inconsiderate to cyclists, even those who follow the rules and take all necessary precautions, so we no longer do this (after my husband was hit and then the driver circled back around to heckle him as he was lying on the ground). Our city and those around us are working on improving bike trails that will all eventually connect, it will be awesome when it is complete because we will be able to ride many more places while still avoiding riding in the streets.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly do. I live in a place with a bad traffic system and where hit-and-run incidents are abundant. Unlike other countries, we don't have a bike line. It's not safe to ride your bike side by side with large trucks, taxis, public transportation and private cars. You can get run over if you're not careful. So just to be on the safe side, it's ideal to ride a bike just a few meters near one's home and you don't go beyond that.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go shopping with a bike, in fact I don't know how to ride one, but since I live near a mall I just walk home. I take public transport going there then I just walk home since my house is near anyway, I timed it and I'm only 15 to 20 mins away when walking to and from my place. At least I get some long overdue exercise.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For small items I'd consider it but usually I'd just prefer to drive because I know I'll be bringing home lots of goods. Additionally, I don't like browsing for things to buy when I'm all sweaty as I get uncomfortable very easily and I tend to make less wise decisions when I'm in that mindset or mood. Also usually I have other places to visit before or after I shop so I tend to want to bring a car with me instead so I could be more free and not be constrained by only visiting places I could reach by bike or ones that I wouldn't mind being a little uncomfortable in.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are too many steep slopes where I live so you either take a car or if you live close enough to the stores then walking over would be better option. I always choose the latter because the stores are less than a mile away and the farmers market less than two miles from where I live.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I live too far away from town to try that method. However, if I lived in town it could definitely save me money on gasoline and public transport fees. In addition, it can be good for exercise. Anyhow, I did live in a town in South Korea where bicycling was massive fun and my way of getting to work and other places.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes yes and that is great. I save on the transportation / fuel issue I gain on the issue of doing physical exercise and staying healthier. It's a double gain and it makes me even happier (it's like killing two birds with one stone ;))!

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I have to go to nearby shopping center for small quantities I mostly use my bike. I have got a carrier fitted in the back side of my bike which can carry a good quantity of vegetables, milks and other household items. I had once tried my bike to go to my work but I was not comfortable with that experience since it was too sunny from one side and rained really hard while on my way back. But I saved on almost 4 liters of petrol that day :)

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a neighbor here who uses her bike for going to market. She offers the neighbors her services to buy something for us in the market. She earns some coins for that and I think that is a good way of earning. So when we need small things from the market, I ask that old woman to buy garlic and onions for me and then I give her a bigger tip for her expenses. Some other people in the neighborhood go to the market on their bikes but more for the exercise than for the saving on bus fare.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Biking is my most memorable means of traveling when I was teaching in the remote place in our small city. I use bike in doing some marketing in our agora. I couldn't remember how my bike was lost while I was having a snack with my fellow teachers in one of the eateries in our place. After we're done, I came out and proceeded to where my bike was left. I found it none.

It took more than a month to recover it. It was a coincidence that my bike was used by a kid to the home place of my wife. It was his younger brother who took notice and my wife recovered it.

Marketing with bike is fun and energizing. It costs less as far as transportation is concerned.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own a bike, but if I did I don't think I would want to use it for shopping, because I'm pretty lazy, so I would just prefer to use the public transport to carry my items home.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use to shop a lot on a bike and its quite fun where I live because although it was more of a village with a few places to shop-it has now grown to have a lot of the chain stores now. I ride in the grass on the side of the road-and a few tips if you have to go to the store on a bike. In the summer it gets hot fast-so to beat the heat and thunderstorms I shop early. Also I have a big basket on the front of the bike-but also you should bring a backpack so you can place it in the basket after you load up with food or whatever-this is better than putting the backpack on your back. I like to park my bike in the park at the bike rack near the town so I can just walk the entire town from there -also which is more convienient this way.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @FolkArtist@FolkArtist you reminded me about my big size cycle carrier which was a permanent part of my bike during my school days. my younger brother and I used to share the same bike to our school with our school bags on the carrier and one of us on the front bar. Actually we used our cycle carrier on the back wheel for multiple purpose like bringing grocery, vegetables and other items.

15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own a bike so I go walking to the grocery store which is near my home, luckily. I do take the the bike taxi that are usually waiting for us outside the stores exit. They are bike riders that give us a ride home and it"s cheaper than a regular taxi. They are great so I won't have to carry our heavy shopping myself.

16. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Whenever I can, I ride my bike because I love it. And it is easier for me to go for a shopping with my bike than by walking because I finish faster and don't lose that much time, and it is healthy. I mean, I like walking as well, and it is also very healthy but I like my bike better.

17. bomb2060

bomb2060Member

Threads:
    @Dora M@Dora M That makes the two of us. It's the most rewarding experience for a young father like me. I can carry my kid.
    It's said that the mind can come up with very ingenious ideas of doing things if it's not trying!! Thus, that moment when i ride a bike is when i come up with very creative ideas of doing things.

#17Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  18. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    When there is something needs to be bought for my mom in an emergency from the nearby shops then I will go on my bicycle. I love bicycle more than my motorbike or car. Despite bicycling being an exercise, it is more fun to pedal the bike and feeling the air enjoying the surroundings. :D

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We're lucky for we live near a Marukai Wholesale Mart that has groceries, prepared foods and non food items like toilet paper so it's really convenient for us in walking distance. The rest of the shops are too far away and I access them with the bus only, no car or bike. When you ride your bike to get groceries you get exercise and save money too, great!

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The traffic is not conducve to either walking to the store or biking to it. Believe me I wish that I could walk or bike to the store. It would save some money. This is one of the things I miss.