Do You Go To A Salon/barber? How Often And How Much Do You Usually Spend?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by abonnen • Jan 15, 2017.

1. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't went to get my haircut in over 4 years, I cut my own hair at home about every 2-4 month with dead end trims if needed, I also dye my hair at home if I want to (although I rarely do). However I am thinking about getting a undercut and a more difficult style then I am comfortable doing on my self and am thinking about going to a professional. This got me thinking how often do people go to the salon to get a hair cut, and how much it usually cost?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to get a haircut every 3 weeks when I was younger. But I deemed it cheaper if my haircut will be delayed by a week. Sometimes I forget a haircut for 2 months when my selfie would show my long hair. Especially now that I am already retired, I can sport a longer hair.
    But short or long hair, I had to dye my hair black because I don't want to look old.

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I purchased a buzz cut razor and I just shave my head every 2 weeks. It saves me a lot of money and I can conserve more shampoo. I actually use to have beautiful long hair and I don't have hair loss problems. I just prefer shaving because it helped me deal with my insomnia. I can sleep better without hair.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I go as often as every fortnight for a haircut as I prefer a crop-cut for myself. The good thing is that we do not have to pay as much as in some other countries. Maybe some of you will find it fascinating that we have different range in hair-cutting salons where men can have their cut in the range of $0.40 to $5.00 for haircut.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I go to the barbing saloon for my haircut every three weeks. As from the second week my hair start getting much on my head and once it's third week I'd go for haircut in a nearby barbing saloon. I pay between four and five dollars to get a decent haircut. I think this maybe a bit high relatively but one thing the barbers are quite good at the job, they give perfect touch.

6. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I have never visited my barber for around 2 years. I do trim it at home but I do not want it to be cut short. It's around 12 inches long I think. I'm saving money right now so I can style my hair into dreadlocks in a few months.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I get a hair cut around once a month since I can still fix my hair nicely even when it's long. I wouldn't spend more than 2.00 dollars around my neighborhood and no more than 5.00 dollars in plazas or market areas. In the US, I wouldn't spend more than 10.00 dollars anywhere. I have family that cut my hair for free anyway.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Every two or three months I go to my "suki" (favorite) barber shoppe. I am looking to have the barber cut my hair for I like the way he cuts my hair on what is appropriate for me. He is friendly and amiable. He courteous. I have gone to several barber shoppes but I don't like the way the barbers treated me. As to the cost of the service, though it is a bit higher compared to "lapiang" (unsecured) barber shoppe.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    After reading all the posts above I am getting nervous thinking about my next three years stay in Australia where the minimum haircut charge is AU$10. I think I will have to buy a hair clipper that costs around AU$20 as I had done during my last visits and cut my own hair with comb size 1 which is close to clean head which needs no expertise :)

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have gone to the salon only once in my entire life and I hated the outcome. My mom had been cutting my hair all my life and now that I don't live with her I cut my own hair. If I could do it myself or get it done by my mother I wouldn't spend money at a salon. Besides I like having the same hair style, in layers every time.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I rarely go to salon for a hair cut may be just get them trimmed from friends/relatives.

The last time I had had a hair cut for styling was back in 2012. Otherwise hair cutting is always a home affair. I have pretty long silky hair that doesn't respect any hair styles, so basically I can even skip combing for days and use my fingers to comb.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get haircut once in every month. I think a haircut does not cost that much here when compared to the prices quoted above. It is approximately $1 per hair cut and if you go for a fashion saloon it may go up a little bit.

I heard that regular haircut is good for your hair and we need to keep it trimmed every four/six weeks or so. I think it actually depends on your hair type and style you want. Short hair is easily manageable and also convenient to use hair oil or other hair nourishing products on short hair and scalp.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I want to save money and my hair grows very fast so I just purchased a head shaver and shave my head every 2 weeks. Shaving my own head saved me a lot of money and I don't worry about styling my hair anymore. I only grow my hair long during winter season. My hair grows aggressively so I am not hesitant on shaving my head.

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the salon regularly. Last year, I only visited a salon once for a hair Brazilian and re-bond. It was a bit expensive compare when doing it at home and I'm aware that there are a lot of tutorials and products that you can buy at the local store or online so you can do it at home. However, I was scared in doing it since it will be the first time (if ever) and I don't wanna ruin my hair so I'd rather spend a bit much than taking a risk in adding damage to my hair.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to a salon located at railway station itself owned by an Indian while returning from work and was pleasantly surprised when the owner offered to give me a discount of AU$1 as he charged me $9 instead of 10. He promised me to give me my next cutting for $8. Great saving for me guys :)

16. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I usually have my hair cut once every year. I have long hair and I like it that way. I only go for trimming of the hair. Otherwise, I have laser cut and it's nice.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I make my haircut in the saloon, sometime ago I tried cutting my hair myself. It was like a thing of trial and error, sometimes I get a good haircut but many times there will be a small mistake somewhere that I'd have to go back to shave again. From that experience I understood it's best to have the professional, barber, do the the haircut for me.
    In a few days from now will be going for another haircut in a nearby saloon.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb You are right, I have bought a clipper from KMart for AU$19 but I could not cut my hair proper despite the clipper having 9 options for getting a proper cut including one comb each for right and left year but as you said cutting hair is a professional thing so I would go to a barber even if I have to find a cheaper one.

#18Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to a salon school on Nuuanu St. in the heart of town, for it's way cheaper. I get a trim and it costs me $10.21 this is with tax. The Institute for Hair Design,

is perfectly located for me when I go shopping at Walmart. Students cut your hair while professors watch and if need help. It's great and we've been going for such a long time. When we first started to go hair cuts was $5.25 plus tax. Now it's double the price and we're still going for on the average hair trims are $15 and up locally.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe It's way cheaper back in my native country where an ordinary hair cut costs less than 50 cents for men and $2 for ladies. There are costlier hair salons but one can get their hair cut at a reasonable rate if they do not believe in show business. Here where I live in present the cheapest rate of hair cut is $10 which is way higher than what I am used to pay.

#20Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017