Do you go to the Gym in the Summer?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by sandees • Aug 1, 2012.

1. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I haven't gone to the gym in about 3 weeks, and feel pretty guilty about it. However, with the warm summer days I've been doing a lot of walking so I am getting enough (or more than enough) exercise.

Since I hate the idea of throwing money away, I want to make myself go to the gym in the nice summer months (although this is proving to be very difficult).

Any tips and suggestions on how to get yourself to the gym this summer? or should I count this 1 or 2 months of not going to the gym as time off and focus on what I want to do this coming September?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand what you mean, it is to nice to be inside when you can be outside enjoying the summer before it is all gone. How about you go to the gym half the time and walk the other half. That way you don't feel as bad about the money you may be losing. I also walk for exercise and would like to start doing a zumba workout, but I don't want to be inside when it is so nice out side.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It happens that it cost to go to the gym in the summer, but we must find an alternative to continue physical activity. It is always important to exercise at a particular time. That nothing and nobody can change that schedule. Another important issue is not bound too how important is to keep a routine, be aware of the time you have no time for everything. Think of your objective is to maintain in summer, do not have to throw away all the work you've done in winter, well maintained in summer even smoother, you will get your body from losing what took much effort have. And most important: Enjoy the summer! :D

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really understand what the summer has to do with going to the gym. You're only in the gym for about an hour to an hour and a half. You can still take walks and enjoy the rest of a summer day with going to the gym. The longer you stay away from the gym, the harder it will be to go back in the fall.

5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go the gym at any point in the year. I think there are a lot of benefits to having a gym membership, but I much rather workout from home. I love doing p90x and other similar programs. Also, there isn't a gym conveniently located to me to the gas and travel time just don't seem worthwhile. But I think if getting people to a gym will inspire them to workout it is necessary. I just personally much prefer working out a home.

6. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I go to the gym about 4 times a week no matter the season. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel about going in the summer. But that's why in the summer you should go and do it as early as possible in the morning. Just to get it over with.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the gym at all because it wastes money. Unless you're a bodybuilder or someone who needs to be in shape all the time there's no real need to go. I can go for a run in the summertime and sweat and burn the same amount of calories in the gym. I wouldn't want to be in a gym in the summertime with all those people in there unless they have AC. I've been to a gym with my friend and they didn't have AC it was so hot in there I almost passed out.

8. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I understand how you feel. I've faced the same problem this summer. With temperatures soaring on a few London summer days, I've preferred to go on long walks, and even jog outside. One way you can do to avoid feeling guilty about avoiding the gym is to finish your outdoor walks and head for the gym to finish your resistance & weights training there. That way, you have benefited both from the gym as well as the outdoor walks.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I can't exercise at the gym due to health issues, but I love the summer, because it means I can swim every day - sometimes twice a day - and lose a little weight at the same time. That said, if you have a gym membership, you're paying anyway, unless you operate on a 'pay as you go' scheme, so you're wasting money if you don't go. Surely you can fit in an hour or so two ro three times a week, so you maximise your membership.

10. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I think the best thing you can do is commit to a regular schedule of going to the gym. It's also a bonus if you commit to going with a friend, since they will be relying on you to go. Taking a leisurely walk outside to get a drink or a light meal afterwards in the summer sun is a nice reward, I personally like to walk to and from the gym but I know others may not live as close..

11. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think maybe you could make a list of the benefits of going to the gym...like, so that you can remain in touch with the 'why' you are doing it. If your 'why' (which is the motivation) is strong enough, you should be able to make it happen for yourself. I just do not like the gym and in summer especially prefer going for a run on the beach. Then do some outdoor yoga, it just feels like so much more fun than gym. But we are all different...so if you can get in touch with what motivated you to go - you should be able to move past any obstacle.