Do you go to the gym?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by xcmiller93x • May 5, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    No, I believe in atrophy...

I find a gym a waste of money. I'd rather purchase a few weights at home, go for long walks and play sports. I don't feel like spending $25 per month (or even more) just to watch people make fun of me, watch these beefcakes hit on women or me having an epileptic seizure after doing two minutes of jogging!

2. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Definitely going to the local club/gym and about on daily basis (well maybe 5 times a week).
    I like to workout, keep fit and the local club (TaeKwonDo, Cardio, Kickboxing, Cycling..) is quite cheap .. 40$ a month for unlimited ...

3. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I don't go to the gym anymore because I got in better shape without it. I do workout 3-4 times a week, and maybe go to the gym once a week.

4. tasoncool1997

tasoncool1997New Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the gym but I wished too. I brought a treadmill and some dumbbell at home to workout with so I don't care about gym anymore. I only workout 1-2 hour a day on my basement floor.

5. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    Urgh, I hate the gym! I don't go to one, I find them weird places and hate looking at myself in the mirror while I work out! I also find the idea of sitting on my ass driving somewhere to go and exercise a little bit bizarre. I do some yoga, but other than that I just go outside and walk, run, play a little tennis and stuff like that. I also try and make sure the tv is off most of the time when I'm at home, so I am up and about gardening, cleaning, cooking and various other things. Kneading bread is pretty hard work sometimes! People never used to go to the gym yet were fit, but they didn't have cars or labour saving devices, so I try and keep active throughout the day rather than an hour here and there at the gym.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I didn't spend money on the gym, but I do. I take yoga lessons. I happen to know that if I don't physically go and follow the instruction of a teacher, I'll either get everything wrong and possibly injure myself, or I'll flake out on myself and not bother at all.

7. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Ballys Total Fitness in Stone Mtn, GA, which was recently bought by LA Fitness. I've been a member for the past 20 years. I'm looking forward to the change of ownership and better facility. I absolutely love going to the gym because the atmosphere and the energy are so great. If I walk into the gym with problems on my mind, within 10 minutes of working out I'm no longer thinking about any particular issues. Working out is one of the best stress relievers, second only to sex.

8. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    Nope, I just play badminton as my source of exercise.

9. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    No, I don't go to a gym. I have a body type which doesn't tend to put on weight no matter how many calories you indulge in. In order to be fit, I do brisk walking for maybe 20 minutes daily and I've also joined a dance class, which is really fun.

10. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I generally hit the gym anywhere from 2-4 times per week. The day that I usually do not miss is Saturday, in the mornings. I love going to the health club around 9am and I'll usually stay till 11a-12p. The atmosphere at the gym is incredible, everyone trying to get in shape, trying to work off stress, and the energy emitted, I believe is therapeutic to everyone in the gym. Not only are you getting in shape, and possibly prolonging your life, but you also get the fringe benefit of seeing nice, firm, sexy bodies all over the place!

11. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of gyms. I would rather get my body in shape by running along the ocean, swimming and playing sports like football, baseball and tennis. Lifting weights just does not seem like my idea of fun, plus it costs way too much.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't yet but I'm planning to do so starting on October, when my semester ends. I really want to get ripped and doing exercises at home just doesn't work for me. I need to have the proper equipment in order to properly do the exercises. Although some of the people I know doesn't go to the gym yet they have totally ripped bodies.

13. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    No, I tried joining one once but I didn't last for more than the trial period. lol I love being outdoors and have nice weather year round where I live. I go jogging every other day and a walk every day. In addition, I go swimming in the summer, ice skating in the winter, and keep pretty active. I'm happy with what I do so I don't even want to join a gym.

14. nefsyn

nefsynNew Member

Threads:
    I use to go to play basketball on their court. But I have stopped that completely and me and my girlfriend are wasting $40 a month on that, we won't be making that same mistake when our contract ends.

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I, too, find the gym a waste of time and money. I can get just as good a workout (sometimes better) at home. I don't have to wait for equiptment for be free or worry about someone wiping their sweat off of the equipment, no one bugs me by talking to me while I'm working out, I don't have to get to class early to find a good spot to workout, I don't waste time and gas driving to and from the gym and I don't have to worry about being late for a class because I can workout whenever I please.

16. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    No, I do not. At 16, I stayed with my relatives at a hotel and there was a gym which my cousin and I went to every day. It wasn't so bad and it got me into the habit of not caring that people might be looking at me. Nowadays, I just work out at home, if I have that time.

17. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    No I don't go to the gym. I did try it for a few months but don't like the environment and personally have an issue with people watching me. It may be all in my head but I'm more comfortable working out to DVDs in the privacy of my own home.

18. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I plan to make it a regular ritual of mine. I would like to regain some of the conditioning of my 20s. I go for the weights. i can do the cardio stuff at home.

19. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    No, because I'm not going to pay to work out when I could do so for free. Why would I pay 20 bucks per month to run on a treadmill when I could just go outside and run for free? I'd understand if I were in a different climate where I couldn't do that, though.

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    No,I am glad to get outdoors or work-out at home for my exercise. I spent my whole life in a gym as a kid or a lot of it,playing basketball and going to the YMCA -but in PA where I grew up it was a great social thing back in the day(70s). So these days I go to the park and run or ride my bike. Also I like to hike some beach trails or go swim in the sea if its summer- here in florida its so hot that the beach activities look good. Also you can snorkel,kayak or wind surf-or just be a beachcomber. So many great outdoor things to do or just workout at home is fun sometimes.