Do You Go to the Movies Anymore?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by nwitt • Apr 4, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I am curious if anyone still goes to the movies regularly?

We will go to the movies maybe 3-4 times a year. A movie has to look really good for us to want to see it in the theater. In most cases, we will still try to take advantage of deals - like a local theater by us has a $5 movie Monday special.

I usually wait for a movie to come out on Redbox because I honestly prefer to enjoy it in the comfort of my own home and we can both watch it for under $2.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I cannot justify spending $10+ on a movie that lasts a couple of hours, and often includes cell phones going off, or annoying people in front or behind me.

IN the last 5 years, I've been to a movie theater just a handful of times. Some were because I got free movie tickets for one reason or another. I also really wanted to watch "The Hunger Games" in the theater, and it was worth it... but we saw a matinee because we were too cheap to pay full price.

I just feel like if I have a night out and money to spend, I don't want to do something that could otherwise be done completely alone. I like to use entertainment time to socialize, hang out with my husband, and do something that I otherwise can't do at home.

3. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I only go a few times a year. $10.75 for a ticket is WAY too expensive. And these are at the CineMark at Arundel Mills 15 minutes from my house, the busiest theater in the country! $10.75 is ridiculous, considering the price of redbox or renting on demand.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go as often as before. I used to go to the movies around twice a month, now I think I could say that I go once every couple or months or so. I will only go when there is a movie I'm really excited to watch or if a friend really wants to go.

5. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I go to to the movies very often.

Simply because i enjoy the experience. The prices in the movie theaters are ridiculous though. But there is nothing you can do about it if you want to see the film. I am really in to cinema. That is why i go. However. I would be lying if i said it didn't hurt my wallet.

I might start a new trend this year though. I might wait until movies are released on Blu-Ray. I will be hard to do, but i will try.

6. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    Yes, I go to watch movies, especially if the movie is the one I'm eagerly waiting for.
    I think the real fun of watching movies is in the theatre. If it has some special effects suited for cinema, then it becomes a must watch.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies anymore because:

There are no theaters in my town.
    I'm not dating.
    I'd rather not buy an expensive ticket when I can buy a used DVD later at less than a buck.

8. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love going to the movies and getting lots of tasty food, even though it is very expensive. I don't go very often now.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I always go to the movies once in a month. I love to watch my movies in 3D once in a while it is awesome. It is also not that expensive if you want to have some entertainment and cool off the job stresses. I would recommend anyone to go to the movies once in a while.

10. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Very rarely, if ever. The last movie I saw in the theaters was the third Nolan Batman movie, the one with Bane. I plan on seeing Godzilla in the theaters this summer, though that's mostly out of loyality to the big radioactive lizard of my childhood. I find the movie theater obnoxious to deal with, I hate sitting through previews and I like to watch my movies in solitude eg; my room. Yes, I am no fun at all. When I was a kid I loved going to the movies, moreso when we went to the one in the city because it was actually awesome. Maybe if we had a cool theater in my hometown I could get more pumped up for seeing a movie a few times a year but no, our theater is terrible, the popcorn is stale and I hate the staff. I don't even like giving them money for their crappy, ratchet theater.

I've never been to an imax movie :(

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who takes me to the movies a couple times a month and we usually end up seeing pretty good movies. His trip though, is he hates watching the previews, I mean hates them to the point where he would rather arrive after they start, just in time to see the featured movie. Which is fine by me, except that we don't always make it on time. Due to traffic, trying to find a parking place, or sometimes just getting lost can makes us late, up to 10 minutes or so. I'm not the one paying, so I really can't complain, but if I was paying, I would want to get my money's worth. It seems so wasteful, plus, I would have liked to know how the movie started.

12. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Me and the hubby try to go when there's something we really want to watch on, and we feel like we could do with a date night. It's not often though.

We do organise trips to the cinema for the home though. We usually end up hiring out the entire cinema because of how many children come with us.

13. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Movies do cost a lot of money but I try to go to the movies at least once per month. I really do enjoy the whole experience of going to the movies and watching it on the big screen. There is nothing like seeing a scary movie on the big screen! :)

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the movies. The last time I went to the theater was 2 years ago. I can amuse myself with NetFlix or Amazon streaming. Plus I find many cable TV shows to be more interesting that most movies.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Almost exclusively with friends and usually it's some sort of midnight premiere that's more about hanging out before hand than going to see the actual movie. It's just too damn expensive to go very often these days. I took my parents and brother out to the movies a few months ago and it cost me close to $60 between tickets and all the movie snacks. For me, it's gotten to the point where I'd rather wait for it to come out on netflix or Amazon than see the movie immediately.

16. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Rookie mistake; You always bring your own food and sweets to the movies! Sneak them in in a bag or something.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies maybe once a year if that. There's usually nothing good going on anymore especially not for the prices. The last movie I saw was Smurfs 2. I do try to bring in candy when I can but mom and I still get popcorn and drinks so you're still paying a good amount of money. We try to wait until the movie is at the Holiday cinema so it's not so much money too. The one thing I don't like about going to the theaters is I like to occasionally talk about what's going on in the movie and that's not really easy to do in the theater.

18. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I still go to the movies. Maybe once or twice a year I think? And that's only when my friends manage to convince the cheapskate within me. Lol. :D

Kidding aside, I don't appreciate going to the movies as much as I did when I was younger since I discovered this "download any movies you want from the internet for free" kind of thing. Not only can I watch the movies I download any time I want to, I can also understand the movies better by downloading their subtitles. And I can also pause them whenever I need to go to the bathroom.

Those are the kind of things that you wouldn't be able to do if you watch movies from a movie house. And I don't really wanna spend money on things that I could get for free instead. :)

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love spending money on a unique movie experience in an old theatre, like the one we have here in my town. It started operating in the 1930's and is still going strong. Actually it is an institution, heavily supported by local people and tourists.
    Wherever I travel, I always check out if there is some cinema with character in the neighbourhood and, without exception, you will find me there if they are showing an interesting film. :)

20. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    No. I rarely go the movies anymore.

Simply because the prices have become extremely too high. I refuse to pay that amount of money to go to the movies. I would rather wait for the movie to become available on video on demand, or Blu-Ray. that way it will not be a one time viewing.

I will own the product. I would be able to watch it at any time i please.