Do you grow your own food

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Jan 30, 2013.

1. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, technically i don't grow my own food , but my whole family does, and i get a bunch of vegetables and groceries from them, so i guess that i do take advantage of home grown ingredients.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's one of the good things about living away from the city. I live in a small town bordered with farmlands and where I stay there's just so much arable land that you can't afford not to grow vegetables. So yes, I do plant my own food but not all of it. To be honest, no one can. You just have to buy some because the climate of a place may not be conducive for certain crops? Nonetheless the little that I do plant, saves a lot of $$$$ at the end of the month.

3. adeleinthesea

adeleintheseaNew Member

Threads:
    Currently, I'm not growing anything because I'm in an apartment, but I'm always going to my mom's house to help her in her garden and eat the food from it; it gives me the know-how for my own garden when I get a house. Herbs, in my opinion, are the easiest to grow and maintain and the most versatile to use. Cucumbers, potatoes and tomatoes are also a few of my favorites to grow, even though I've had potatoes go wrong a few times. Squash is a bit of a challenge, but I do love to grow my own food. It makes me feel somewhat self-sustaining.

4. kevin8624

kevin8624New Member

Threads:
    I have a small veggie garden but it's more for personal enjoyment rather than food production. I suppose I could grow all my own veggies but it is just so much easier to go to the store and buy them cheap.

5. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    Yes, gardening is one of my favorite hobbies, not to mention a great way to save money and serve my family healthy food! My favorite things to grow are: lettuce, tomatoes, greens, cucumbers, and squash.

I really admire those of you that are living in apartments and still find a way to grow something. There is really something special about putting a seed into the dirt and being able to eat the fruit of your labor.

6. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I was lucky to move in to a place with a backyard that was just weeds. So I cut it all back turned over the soil and have had a garden the last 3 years. I grow tomatoes, eggplant, squash, bell peppers, yellow peppers, melons and pumkins. I also put an herb garden near my patio with rosemary, basil and parsley. I hardly have to buy any vegetables except maybe lettuce.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I quite got a green thumb so I grow some plants in our backyard such as peppers and lemon for the sauces. Its not much but these plants are easy to grow in pots. I once planted some spinach at home but these are plants that needs much attention than chilli peppers and lemons.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't technically grow my own food, but my dad does and we eat them. He has varied plants in our backyard like guava, calamansi, mango, etc.

9. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I have learned this year how to grow a good garden. I grew things that I found myself buying a lot of in the grocery stores. I grew a salad garden with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, onions, peppers, and green beans. I had so much vegetables that I didn't have to buy them in the store, which saved me a lot of money this summer. I know now what to do and how much I will need to grow next season. I wish i could grow foods over the Winter too. I will try to create a hydro system this Winter and see how that works for me.

10. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I don't grow my own food but I would love to. Imagine how convenient it would be just to grab something out of your garden. Nothing could be more fresh than picking your own food!

I ordered some blueberry and raspberry seeds from the internet because there's none available in my country. I'm hoping to grow it here!

11. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't grow my own food, which don't think I would either. My parents plan to grow some vegetables, but they say it takes a lot of efforts and time. I would rather go buy the food at the store.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to get more active in growing my garden, I would certainly save money at the grocery store.

13. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I personally don't, but I know a lot of people who do. I have to say that some of the best tasting and biggest veggies were grown by friends of mine.

14. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a small apartment, so there is just the balcony to grow plants on. I'd like to grow tomatoes on my windowsill, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I looove raw tomatoes. I am addicted and I go through them so fast. I would save so much money if I would grow them myself. I am also interested in sprouting beans, but it is another thing I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

15. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I grow vegetables & herbs at the moment. I used to grow a lot more up until I moved but at the moment, I've got all the main ones like lettuce, cucumbers, parsley, chilli, coriander, garlic etc. Used to grow ALOT more as my mum loves gardening and she's outside whenever she gets a chance.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid my grandparents as well as my parents planted gardens for years. We also did a lot of canning as well, and always had incredible tomato sauce year round. It was quite a bit of work, and I would say there were about 5-6 people at least involved planting and maintaining the garden each year. I don't think I would attempt a whole garden by myself, but I would be open to planting a few specific items.

The apartments I've lived in didn't let much natural daylight in, so it was difficult to try and grow anything - even if it was by the windows.

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    No, well nothing substantially. I have grown radishes and a tomato plant but nothing to make a serious dent in my grocery bills. I have a reasonable amount of land for growing food, but I haven't ever done anything with it yet. I want to keep half as a garden and half as a vegetable patch next season. Potatoes are what I'm aiming for, perhaps with some other vegetables like carrots.

18. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I have a salad garden. I spend a lot of money of salads, so I started to grow the items for my self. I know I have saved lots of money this year on fresh vegetables and plan to continue.

19. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    No, we don't grow our own food but it's something we are looking to get into in the very near future. Growing up, my family always had a small garden and I remember pulling tomatoes off the vine and washing them and setting them in the windowsil to get sunlight. I also remember eating lots of broccoli, as soon as they would come up, I would rush to get them so I could have broccoli and cheese.

20. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    I know a few family members that live a few states away that do it, but I don't do it myself. I wish I did. But up here where I live, we don't really have any suitable land for growing any food. I wish we did because I would rather grow my own fruits and vegetables rather than going to the supermarket or farmer's market all the time.