Do you Haggle?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gwydion • Nov 28, 2012.

1. gwydion

gwydionNew Member

Threads:
    Do you haggle in stores?

I was watching a feature on a consumer show the other day and the presenters were showing their results when they haggled in major stores. Basically they found that if they could get to a senior enough person in the store that they could haggle down the price almost every time.

In the past I've only done this on major white goods and home furnishings, but after this, I think I will have to try it for any major purchase.

So, have you haggled in a major store and did it work for you?

Will you try haggling now?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not really haggled over the price of an item. I have talked a person down when an item has been damaged and I am not willing to pay the asking price for the item. I don't really feel comfortable haggling, but it sounds like I need to get over it and try to get a better price when I am purchasing items.

3. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I love haggling. It sounds like a pain, but really it isn't. I have saved some major bucks on stuff I want doing this. We do not use credit cards so we pay cash for everything and this helps a lot. We actually tell the guy we are haggling this and it really helps for them to meet what we can pay! And it depends on the store too. Also this does not always work haggling on big items etc or small but you have nothing to loose by trying and you have money to save to gain if you win!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't haggle. I would love to, but I just do have the courage to do so. I bet I would be able to save some money if I learned how to do it. When I worked in a department store, so customers would try to haggle. Surprisingly, my supervisor would drop the price on some items.

5. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    No, I do not haggle. However, we will be purchasing a new car soon, and it would be great to learn some better "negotiating" skills. My husband does not really like to haggle either, but it could definitely save us some money.

6. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I haggle a ton with things like yard sales/craigslist etc but I've never thought about haggling at a major department store. Do you mean at a place like Walmart or Target?

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen so many of those shows that tell you how to haggle in stores and it has never worked not one time! Even when you go to a store and the item you are looking at is going to be on sale the next day, they are supposed to give it to you at that price. I have always, always, always been told no. Only certain people are able to be successful at that.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I won't even try to haggle in a large store, because that would be too embarrassing. :eek: I'm too shy to directly haggle and ask if they could lower the price, but if it was in a thrift store, then maybe I could try asking if that is the item's last price already. I think that is a subtle way to ask if the price could still be lowered, it's like fishing if the salesman/saleslady or vendor is willing to lower the price. If they are, then I would gladly accept the discount. If not, then it's ok, I'd still buy the item anyway.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    No but my mum's husband does! Oh boy does he haggle!

I was moving into a new flat and he offered to help me by driving the van. I had arranged to pick up some furniture that I had bought on Ebay and after we did this we went to a second hand shop to look at an electric oven I had my eye on. We were there for 10 seconds before Ken (my mum's husband) had the oven upside down and was pulling the thing all over the place checking it out. He then haggled with the owner and got me £50 off while I cringed in the corner.

My mum told me that when they went to buy a new sofa he had the salesman jumping up and down on the one my mum wanted and then haggled with the salesman while my mum ran out of the store and hid in the car. :D

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the only time I have haggled with a salesperson was when purchasing a car. I'll do it every time because the dealerships have a lot of extra charges that can be waived in order to make the sale. I wish I was better at doing it for other products but I think I am just way too much of a chicken to actually try it.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen shows like that and always wondered, but I just don't have the courage to do that myself. It just feels odd to me, but I know some people get good results with it.

12. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I've never tried it myself since I know I'll be bad at it. My dad, however, is pretty good at it. He only haggles over things he deem important though, like electronics. I remember seeing him talk the salesperson into giving him a good deal on a TV he really wanted.

13. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    In terms of a major store, IE Walmart, I can't see it working. I personally don't see it as a good personal fit. But that is just me. I guess a vehicle is prime for the haggle scenario. Generally not something I would even think of. If I think the price is too high, well, I look somewhere else. With so much retail now being major chain, I guess I would be surprised if it worked.
    Ryder13

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Haggling to me is kind of embarrassing. It makes people think you're broke or are trying to get an upper hand other customers don't get. My philosophy on pricing is if I see prices that are too far out of my price range, or that I don't like...I just leave the store after browsing.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    In a major store? No, definitely not. The only time I would even consider it is if it's the last one on the shelf and it's damaged in some way or another. Usually I only haggle at flea markets, garage sales, etc.

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Haggling is not really a practice here in our country even in minor stores. I am not sure if it will work here because store owners here would really want to be always in the profit side and I don;t think they will entertain someone who attempts to do this.

17. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not haggle. It just makes me feel uncomfortable even when I witness someone else haggling. I know that it works for some people, I just only buy when I think it is a fair price in the first place. Different strokes for different folks I say...:)

18. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't haggle myself. But if I were to do so I think the only time I would actually do so is at a yard sale or a swap meet. At one of these you are dealing with an individual trying to get rid of their own personal stuff. So, this wouldn't be a bad thing to do I have actually had people haggle with me when I've had a yard sale, so it can be a general practice to do this. But in a major store, not something I would consider doing, for me that's not a good idea.

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Haggling is what pawn shops are for anyways. People who haggle or are good at haggling usually go to a pawn shop with an item, and try and get as much as they can possibly get for it. I have never heard of anyone going to Best Buy with the idea of haggling with the employees for a big screen tv.

20. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I don't haggle either, I feel embarrassed like I am asking for something for nothing. If I cannot afford to buy an item without a discount, I would rather wait until I could afford it or the item went on sale. My worse nightmare would be to haggle and be met with a blank stare or a resounding "NO". That said, I have plenty of admiration for people who do - major stores in particular would not drop their prices at all if they were not overpriced to begin with (in my opinion), so it really is a success for the little people!! :)