Do you hate Paypal?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by classy_ally • Jun 11, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well that's because you are doing the right thing. Unfortunately alot of people aren't doing the right thing or they are scamming as often as possible or they are fly-by-night, etc. It sucks for you, but as long as you do what's right then you will not have to worry about getting your money and on the other hand your customer can feel safe buying from you.

2. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't say I "Hate" Paypal but I surely don't like its insecurity and charge back systems. I've been scammed many times with this digital currency and it seems the charge back always is in favor of the people trying to steal my money. Only if they revised that whole part of the system maybe I would be able to give a better opinion about Paypal.

3. leighdu

leighduNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's horrible. I've never had a problem with PayPal but I haven't sold on Ebay in years, so the rules have probably changed. Most of my clients pay through PayPal and the money is always on time, and I can use it immediately because I have the debit card. I can't believe they are holding money. Did you contact them to see why? That just doesn't seem right and I can see them losing a lot of business because of that!

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The reason Paypal is holding the money is because they have a chargeback option for the buyer. When the buyer is dissatisfied with his purchase, he can make a chargeback claim. If the claim is valid, then Paypal returns the money to the buyer. That is why Paypal is holding the money. If the buyer does not make a chargeback claim within the specific period of time, then the money is released to the seller.

In a way, this seems to be a bad practice because the seller is at a disadvantage. On the other hand, when you accept payment through Paypal, it gives the buyer more confidence to buy. Imagine yourself in the shoes of the buyer. If seller A accepts payment through Paypal and you know Paypal has a chargeback policy and seller B accepts payment by credit card directly without any guarantee, would you rather buy from seller A or seller B?

Actually when you accept payment through Paypal, you are telling your buyer that you are confident of the quality of your product. This in turns makes your buyer more confident in you and that leads to more sales for you. You actually get more business when you accept payment through Paypal.

5. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    I have been using PayPal for many years and I haven't really had a problem. If you're selling on ebay, etsy, or any other online store you may need to put a policy in that you have to wait till the payment clears. But I'm pretty ok with them, haven't really had a problem yet. and they are the preferred form of payment so......

6. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I have used PayPal for a while now, and have had no issues. The problem the OP and others in this thread have posted about in regards to eBay has happened to me as well. Here's why they do it. They do it to protect the buyer. Believe it or not, many people try to cheat the system. This is eBay's way of helping to prevent that.

7. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I have to say I saw this thread and was surprised, I have always thought of Paypal's service as being very good and have used them for a long time now. However, I have also never sold anything via them online, only purchased. If it is really as bad as you say then that is quite the issue... I think that they should really work on improving those transaction speeds. I feel for you, I really do. :(

8. aprilgilliam

aprilgilliamNew Member

Threads:
    I like Paypal, but definitely not as much as I did. A while back, they froze my account. Supposedly because they suspected fraud, or something like that. Apparently I had been transferring too much money too many times. I swear I wasn't doing anything wrong, just selling some electronics that I didn't want anymore. Anyway, they froze the account and I could not send, transfer, recieve any funds. It was this big process that included proving my identity and address, by sending them copies of my license, utility bills, etc. Everytime that I would make a copy of my license, and I promise you it was crystal clear, they would come back and say that it was too blurry or some hokum like that. I finally got tired of messing with their annoying selves and decided to wait the six months out. I guess that six months is the longest they're allowed to hold it.

9. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I like paypal as a purchaser, but, as a seller, I feel like they need to do something about the dispute process. It's heavily in favor of the buyer. There has to be a decent middle ground somewhere.

10. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    With as much as people hate paypal. Most of us have no choice. Every major online retailer has them in common. Everything else doesn't have as much pull or connect as paypal does right now.

11. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I think that the whole holding the money for sellers is only new sellers. When I first started on eBay they held my money but now they never do. I love paypal for buying, selling, gifting and more. When my niece or nephew need money I just paypal it to them instead of sending them a check or gift card. When my girlfriend is running low on money right before payday, I paypal it to her and she does the same for me.

12. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    This happened to me for a while too. They said when selling certain items on ebay they would hold the funds. It was items such as high end electronics. This made sense to me. But, when it comes to something like a text book or a pair of jeans you would think they would not hold the funds. One thing I think I remember reading was that when receiving funds from selling on ebay your funds also become available after the buyer leaves positive feedback. I had a friend who told the buyer he wouldn't send him his item until he left feedback since he wasn't getting paid right away. Not sure if this is still how it is or not. Fortunately, it also seems they don't always put a hold on funds you receive. I got a message a few months ago saying they would no longer hold funds on my account for two weeks since I became a trusted seller or something like that.

So basically to answer the original question of this thread, I have disliked paypal in the past, but I realize what they do is to protect buyers and at this point in my life I really love paypal since I no longer have the hold and I also receive money for working online and it is nice to be able to have that option.

13. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's only when you open a new ebay account to sell items. Paypal hold your money for up to two weeks before releasing it. After a certain amount of time they stop doing this and you get paid instantly instead of having to wait. I signed up to Ebay a couple of years before they started implementing this so I've never had that issue with them. I get paid instantly into paypal and can transfer any money within minutes of receiving it from an ebay customer.

14. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I don't use eBay but I've been a member of PayPal for the past 12 years or so. In that time frame I only had one problem and that's when an ex-customer decided she wanted her $500 back and without even hearing my side of the story PayPal took the $500 from my account. The ex-customer made her purchase using a credit card, the funds were immediately deposited to my paypal account, which means I had immediate access to the funds, 3 months later, my customer decides she wants to use another web designer (because I was not at her beck and call, but the site was up and she liked it). When I refused to give her a refund she went through her credit card company, they contacted Paypal, and Paypal deducted the funds from my account. Money that was really no longer there. It took me a little while to recover but I did. Other than that, I've had no problems with Paypal.

15. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Insecurity?

Paypal may get a lot of hate (some justified, some not) but I've never heard anyone call them an insecure service. They have their issues, but reliability is certainly not one of them.

If you're being scammed that regularly I'd say the issue is much more likely with something you're doing, or you're just not filing the right complaints for Paypal to set it straight.

16. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I hate them, but they are good for right now. They used to give me hell sometimes, especially when they limited my account. I don't really let my money stay in there for too long now. I usually transfer it to my bank account. But they are good at getting my back from the scammers.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to say that I am apparently one of the few people that don't have any problems with PayPal yet. Hopefully it stays that way, because, even though the fees for payment are pretty annoying, the service is still serving me greatly.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Right now, I'm not having any kind of problem with PayPal whatsoever and I hope that it remains that way. Then again, its pretty hard not to use PayPal even if you don't want to use them because its still the most preferred online payment processor. I guess some of us should just learn to love it and accept their terms because honestly, without them, it'll going to be pretty hard to earn online.

19. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I've been using PayPal online for both payments and receiving payments for probably seven or eight years. I've never had a problem with them once. Even when someone filed a dispute against one of my Ebay auctions I was able to resolve it quickly and easily by showing the shipping receipt.

Why are they holding your money for two weeks? I have never heard of such a thing. That sounds much more like something not quite right on your personal account than a PayPal policy. I suppose if there is something wrong with your account you end up disliking the service. I've never heard of anyone else having that issue though.

20. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I heard of a lot of cases in which Paypal retained money from customers. Until now I didn't have any problems of this kind, and I hope I won't. As long as you have a verified account and do deals with only trustful persons with verified accounts, I don't think there will be any problems.