Do You Have A Coffee Grinder?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a coffee grinder several years ago when I found I could usually get a really good price on coffee beans in a certain local discount store.nI don't drink the coffee, but my husband does and he seemed to love what we were getting at the time.
    Anyway, the store eventually stopped carrying the coffee beans we were buying. I thought I would probably never use the coffee grinder again, but have found that it is quite useful for grinding other things--dried peppers, herbs, nuts, aspirin or other tablets, etc.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a coffee grinder and it sees daily use. My husband and I prefer to buy our coffee whole bean and grind it daily to maximize freshness. Weirdly, it is not cheaper to do this way. It just tastes better.

I also use my grinder for flax seeds and my husband hates it. Coffee grinders aren't meant to have much moisture in them, so they are a bit tricky to clean. I just switch between coffee and flax and don't worry much about it, but my husband always complains when dust is left after a marathon muffin baking session. Haha.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't.
    I buy my coffee grinded, and I'm pretty happy with the quality of the coffee I make at home. :)
    I actually get compliments on it fairly often aswell. I have 2 very old coffee boilers.
    Hate those Nespresso thingys, with the capsules and stuff. They taste like pork breath. :eek:

Can't say that I'm a coffee expert, but I can't imagine upgrading my gear anytime soon.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do have a coffee grinder.... but I don't drink coffee, lol. I don't use the grinder for beans at all. Instead, I use it for things like grinding spices, whole peppercorns, etc, or sometimes even nuts.

5. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    I do have a coffee grinder, but don't use it too too much. Found a brand of coffee that comes already ground and I can actually drink it without creamer or sugar to doctor it up. I guess I'm picky about my coffee. Good quality coffee + filtered water=excellent coffee.
    Only problem is, I started bragging about the coffee so much, that my friends and co-workers buy it too, and there are plenty of times I've had to buy my coffee whole bean. Thank goodness for the grinder. The other grinder I have is used for my peppercorns and spices, so I don't mix anything accidently with my coffee.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not own a coffee grinder as I think it is a waste of money because you can get the coffee powder from the store itself.
    I have been purchasing the coffee in this manner for quite a long time. Also I do not think I have enough time to grind the coffee and then use it for making the actual coffee. I think the grinded and powder coffee is the best option for me

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, we don't have a coffee grinder. I wonder if grinding your own beans works out cheaper at all? I know when I was growing up, my dad had a grinder and would grind his own, and the smell was just so divine! But like the above poster says, is it worth the time and energy?

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have one because I prefer instant coffee. Brewed coffee just takes a bit too much effort for my liking not to mention cleaning it takes a bit of time too. Also I just usually prefer the taste of instant coffee for some reason. If I didn't have to worry too much about cleaning though I might opt for one in the future.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up on instant coffee and never had a problem with it. Of course, I only drank one cup a day and now I don't drink any, so I'm not a huge coffee fan anyway. My husband loves it, though,so when I make it, I make it for him. There is no way I could ever convince him that instant isn't so bad; but then, maybe it is bad to him. He has a real taste for coffee, after all.
    I don't consider the time involved in the making to be very much, though. Just a bit longer than boiling the water for instant and the cleaning is pretty minimal.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It's not worth it unless you find a cheap supply like my husband and I had for awhile. And I know what you mean about the smell. I think the smell might be the main reason those who always grind choose to do so. The smell alone makes the coffee seem more fresh--like when you first open that can and it's so pungent but seems to lose something pretty soon after that. I don't know that the coffee tastes any different, though.

11. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    We do have a coffee grinder which I bought for my roommate for Christmas. I have a Keurig coffeemaker that I use so the grinder isn't of any use for me because I buy the Kcups but my roomie has an espresso machine and grinds his beans daily. He loves it and can't figure out why he didn't get one long ago.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a coffee grinder, but realized that my Magic Bullet does the same job.
    So I sold the coffee grinder. I don't have room for one-use appliances. Everything in my kitchen does at least 2 things.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, don't hold back, tell us about this wonderful brand of coffee. :) Which brand is it? I wouldn't mind grinding my own, so I'll leave the pre-ground stuff for you. Deal? ;)

On topic: I don't currently own a coffee grinder. I was just going to make a thread about it when I found this one. My husband keeps asking why I don't. I think he's hinting... and I think I might be getting one as a gift for Mom's Day or something.

I was going to ask if it was actually cheaper to grind your own, but I noticed someone said it is not. I still think it would taste so much fresher though, that it would be worth a bit more to have great quality.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can always improvise to make the most out of something. In this case, a coffee grinder that may end up gathering dust in the garage because there's no more use for it. I do think coffee grinders are no different from blenders. They just have a different set of blades, custom made to grind beans the size of coffee.