Do You Have a Dedicated Travel Fund?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People save money for different reasons. For those who love to travel, one of the reasons of going to work is to earn money for their daily needs and save some of it so they can travel "and see the world."

To ensure that you actually have some travel funds at a certain time of the year, you need to actually place aside cash which is specifically to be used for that purpose. So instead of just having a savings fund for emergencies and so on, you'd also need [to have] a travel fund dedicated solely for your enjoyment when the time comes [in an exotic location].

Do any of you make such distinctions when saving your cash?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The only money fund I have is for emergencies like medical or things breaking down. When I want to travel I decide in advance the time frame, means and location and start saving cash according to the needs I estimate. It's hard to do when you're just starting but after a few travels you can properly estimate the money needed so that you don't find yourself mid-trip stuck without funds.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a distinct travel fund, but I will just let money build up in excess, at which point I will book a trip that I want to go on. Usually I can do a short weekend for £200, so and more I get before then can be spent on luxuries while I'm there. My fund usually builds up at around £40 per week so I have quite a few weekend breaks.

4. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good way to make sure that you save for a holiday if you put money aside for that purpose only! My brother saves coins and he does not us them and by the end of the year he usually has a nice fund going which he then takes to the bank and cashes for notes. We have a little fund that we have been trying to keep but it never works out as when we need money that is the first place we go. A good idea is to save it in a place or account that cannot be accessed at all!!

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times I allot a specific budget for my travels which already covers airfare, travel tax, payment for the hotel I'll be staying, food and transportation expenses. I only make an estimated cost, however, instead of opening a new bank account and placing all my travel budget there. I simply set aside a specific amount for a specific destination.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a dedicated travel fund, but it certainly sounds like a good idea. I tend to save for splurging on things like new phones/gadgets, but there's no reason why I couldn't change it for travelling round the world!

7. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    No but I need to have one. Great idea. I'm determined to take a certain trip this year in the fall and I really should start saving for it now. My goal as a birthday present to myself every year from this year on is to travel. Tax season is a good time to pay for my flight and hotel then spend the next 8 months putting away money to have the best time possible.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never really prioritized travel all that much since I'm not too into it so I rarely have a fund dedicated to it. If I know I will be traveling soon then I will start saving up as much as possible just so I wouldn't feel too cramped in terms of budget when the time arrives, but as for having a separate fund just for regular travel I personally don't have much use for such a tactic.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have one, and barely have extra money set aside for emergencies; so saving for travel as well is probably just out of the question. That being said; i would certainly love to have a travel fund, and actually be able to take even one trip before I die.
    Just a short 3-day cruise would be the epitome of traveling for me; and the sales prices are not even that bad for a short cruise. I was getting sales ads from cruises.com for w while, and the short ones were only around $200 per person , but you had to go when they had the opening.

10. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I have don’t really have a dedicated travel fund but I usually search the web for cheap flights and travel tours when travelling. My savings are usually for my medical insurance and also emergency funds. When I make enough money, I may start a travel jar since travelling is one experience that shouldn’t be taken for granted because it can be treasured.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I really dont have dedicated funds for travel expenses. However I have a saving for miscellaneous things such as birthday, gifts etc. Sometimes if travel comes out of the blue I usually borrow from this misc of mine.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't but I want to create one! I have 30 days of vacation at the end of the year and I really wanted a dream vacation to Europe, but I'm not sure if it will be possible in my current situation. I would have to clear my current financial problems first and then start a travel fund.

13. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    Currently I only save money for emergencies. I have always considered opening a travel fund or an account. I usually take a vacation every summer with my family. When it gets close to the vacation money can get a little tight trying to make sure I put enough money put away to go on vacation. I would rather have an account dedicated to travel that I can put money in periodically so that I am not trying to come up with a large amount of money in a short period of time.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The only way you can actually save for your holiday is by being careful about your expenditure every now and then. It is priceless if you know how well you can actually collect money be being really careful about it.