Do you have a favorite cult classic movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • Aug 26, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have several - Rocky Horror, Dark City, that one movie with the thing I can never remember the name to... oh! And I also enjoy Donnie Darko and Brick. So do you guys have any cult classics you enjoy? I'm always looking for something new so thus could be a big help.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Lately I have been into watching 90s movies like Clueless, Can't Hardly Wait and 10 Things I Hate About You. Pink Flamingos, Wet Hot American Summer and Harold and Maude would have to be my favorite cult classic films.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Rocky Horror. I can also can watch the first Terminator movie over and over. I'm not a Schwarzenegger fan, but I love that movie.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I also love the Terminator series! T2 is my absolute favorite out of all of them though. I grew up watching that movie almost every weekend. I had such a huge crush on Edward Furlong too.

5. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I really enjoyed the Big Lebowski. Others that come to mind: Swingers, Heathers, Reservoir Dogs.

There are some great foreign films too, that are often overlooked: Infernal Affairs (for which, the Departed was the remake), Battle Royale (inspiring The Hunger Games)

6. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Beetle Juice is probably my number one.. saying that, I haven't watched it in YEARS. I'm going to go out and find myself a copy of that now :)

Resevoir dogs is also cool.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Donnie Darko is one of my favorites, in particular the original version - not the director's cut which has all different music. I also crack up over John Water's Female Trouble. There are so many funny lines in that movie I practically have it memorized by heart. Purple Rain is another favorite, it's sequel Graffiti Bridge is laughably bad.

8. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Scarface with Al Pacino would be our number one cult classic movie. My wife and I love it so much that we watch it from beginning to the end at least once every two weeks. More and more each day I meet young people who are into that movie so much that they know many of the quotes from the movie. Another one would be Caddyshack. Most young people I know are familiar with many of the quotes and scenes from that movie as well.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rocky Horror Picture Show, Office Space, Purple Rain, Blade Runner, Xanadu, the original Hairspray with Divine and Debbie Harry, The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Big and The Evil Dead 2.

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So, ACSAPA - when are we getting married? I have a ring and you have my heart as of now... so any dates jumping out at you? Seriously, I think we can make this work.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're pretty cool yourself, Esperahol. I'm curious. Which of the movies on my list do we have in common?
    I've seen all the movies on my list a few times and I think they hold up pretty well to this day.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dark City is amazing! I've seen it by complete accident around 8 years ago, and I've loved it ever since. As for other movies.. I'm not really sure what counts as cult. Natural Born Killers is a movie I love, but many people argue it can't be called "cult movie".. I also like Takashi Miike's movies, but he moved out of the underground cinema quite a while ago as well. What about The Room, is that a cult movie? :D

13. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Donnie darko, scarface and fight club come to mind. Fight club is a personal favorite.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Rocky Horror Picture Show, Office Space, Blade Runner, Xanadu, the original Hairspray with Divine and Debbie Harry, The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They are classics... especially considering how many movies just sort of suck these days.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So if we move to Utah I think we can get away with a multiple wife set-up... I'm asking for your hand in marriage is what I'm saying. Honestly, if I knew it was this easy to find partners I would have done it sooner. But uh I do love Miike's movies - Audition, Ichi the Killer, Vistor Q, Happy Family, One Missed Call, the faux-snuff film, et cetra. I've been fond of saying that when Tarentino grows up he wants to be Takashi Miike.

NBK is definitely a cult classic if Resevior Dogs is. Then again the thing with Tarentino's films is that they generally play like an arthouse film. All the pseudo-philosophy and the weird tangents and the shout-outs. My favorite film from this guy would have to be ah - Pulp Fiction. I have no idea why, but I love that movie to pieces.

Dark City is just one of those films that really only works at about 2 in the morning. I first saw it on TNT at about 3 am. I had no idea what I was looking at, but that didn't really matter.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha, I'm not sure how that would work, since I'm a man.. :D
    Yeah, Miike's work is amazing - He's the only director that I know of that can direct an over-the-top gore/torture movie and a children's TV series right after that. His genre range really is something. Also, I can definitely say that his short movie Box was the first and only horror movie that has made me feel uneasy.. Shame that he's making only mainstream movies nowadays, but even they are pretty damn good, I think. :)

Well, I've heard a lot of arguments from both sides about whether NBK and Tarantino movies are cult movies, to be honest. I guess this is one of the eternal topics that will never get resolved among movie buffs.. :)

By the way, Dark City works for me at any time! :D

17. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite cult classic movie is They Live and The Evil Dead. I love Mystery and Horror movies.

18. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Those two movies were probably the inspiration for Duke Nukem xD. I'm a fan of both. I would like to add movies based off of H.P Lovecraft, which are over-the-top at times.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh right! I still have to see both of these. Thanks for reminding me, I'm a fan of over-the-top action movies, so I really don't know why I compltely forgot about them! :)

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I am graciously willing to overlook your gender. Miike is great because he really just doesn't seem to care if people are offended. If you like his work, perhaps you will also enjoy The Old Boy trilogy. If nothing else a sincere apology makes an appearance, but really my favorite of the three is the last one with the female protagonist. Cult classics have cult followings so you'd think that'd be the deciding factor. Oh, well. And yeah I can watch Dark City whenever, but it works best for me in the early morning - a state of mind sort of thing.